FREE stuff from other reefers! What did you get?

Have you ever gotten anything FREE from someone in the hobby?

• YES

Votes: 464 68.6%
  • NO

Votes: 212 31.4%

• Total voters

BuBBly FiSh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an amazing, most awesome friend some of you may know who goes by the name of @Crabs McJones who is mailing me a nice bag of chaeto for FREE and it got me thinking! This hobby is expensive enough, and I'm not complaining, but it's nice to be able to give and receive stuff at no cost! So let's talk about that today!

1. What are some items related to this hobby that you have gotten for free over the years?

2. What's the BEST FREE item you have ever been given in the hobby?

Untitled-5.jpg
I have never gotten anything free. I even have a terminally ill son who is the reason I got into the saltwater hobby. I can go even further. My terminally ill son has what we call Houstons Angels as his name is Houston. These angels reached out to WWC, Bulk Reef Supply and Marine Depot to see if they had any broken box, used or even anything returned that could not be sold to help my son who spends most of his time either in a bed or in the Hospital. We couldn't even get a single reply from anyone. See I believe that the p[eople who win are either people who spend the most money at these places, Know or are a friend or family member of someone who works there or donate a large sum on their podcasts. Is Houston legit well see for your self. https://www.wgal.com/article/hershe...ld-son-with-terminal-heart-condition/5911799# https://www.facebook.com/HoustonT.Schwartz/

exasperatus2002

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What are some items related to this hobby that you have gotten for free over the years?

Does Aptasia count??[/QUOTE]

ceejay2018

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never. I’ve had the misfortune of living in areas that I don’t even have lfs. Everything comes by mail.

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been lucky enough to receive (and am extremely grateful) numerous free items from other reefers. I often get free macro algaes, frags, anemones, and even fish. I was most recently given a black ice clownfish from a local reefer when I went to pickup a few frags. It was a completely unexpected gift and I am so thrilled to have her in my possession!! Clownfish are among my favorites.

I also try to give other reefers, especially newbies, some free frags to return the goodwill others have given to me!

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in Kent, in the UK, and would happily get in involved in frag swaps (albeit they’d have to frag for me as I have no experience with that) - get in touch if interested!

a4edwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Co worker gave him his whole set up never really gave me a reason why he wanted to get rid of it. 36g bowfront stand,eshopps hob skimmer, orbit marine led light, food, scrapper, and some other odds and ends sadly the fish never made the trip home. Now that I’m getting everything ready for my 100g sca ill do the same thing with the 36g

pasquale petrovia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I got for free was the Ich that covered and killed the tang I traded a perfectly healthy powder blue bully for. Thanks God for the QT tank or that gift would have cost me about a grand in fish

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My buddy gave me 15 or more frags when my tank crashed for free telling me to stay in the hobby lol. Acro, gorgonia, sps, zoa/ paly lol. So I stayed. He is an awesome dude. Went there this week to use his salinity probe to check salinity went home with cheato, razor leaf new algae strips he wants me to try lol. I have given him 2 whole frags myself :D :D . I have also gave a buddy a bunch of coral frags and equipment to help him out. It's one of the best things to do!!!

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost all of my coral, rock and first fish (our percula clownish) was given to me by a friend. I recently gave away a clownfish that was not working out for us on our local forum tcmas.org, and received a few frags in return. I love the idea of giving things for free to fellow reefers. Not sure I could have afforded starting out without the generosity of others.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I offered bottles of unopened RedSea products I listed it as a Reefer Special, just cover the shipping. I also threw in extras. If I wasn’t using it, someone surely could. It left quickly.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back