FREE stuff from other reefers! What did you get?

Have you ever gotten anything FREE from someone in the hobby?

• YES

Votes: 464 68.6%
  • NO

Votes: 212 31.4%

• Total voters

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gotten some serious migraines from other reefers. People like @dantimdad , @Brew12 , @Scurvy , @Katrina71 , @NY_Caveman , @sfin52 , @Magellan , @Why-Me , @Raege , @Crabby48,@najer and @bdesign are definitely at the top of the list of "givers"! :p ;Hilarious :p

The pain you create happens a little further south

istockphoto-818448802-612x612.jpg

Rukk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nadda for free. Doesn't surprise me though as I am not a very social person. And I am fine with that.

If someone makes me a good deal on something, then I am appreciative and happy about that. That's probably my closest equivalent to getting something for free.

cyan0069

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
keeping it positive, I have gotten frags and fish for free several times over the years. I have given away lots of frags, corals, pumps, lights, etc. as well.
The best free thing I have gotten was a 90 gallon reef ready with stand and canopy. A buddy of mine was getting out and wasn’t having any luck selling it but wanted it to go someplace it would be well used.

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bought a used standard 55G tank from a guy for 100$ with eheim heater, python hose + bunch of other stuff. it didnt have water when i was there but he assured me that it did hold water, and to contact him if anything goes wrong.

it failed the leak test, and so i texted him, not expecting anything. he answers, and said to come back and he'll just refund me the 100$! said i could keep everything and throw the tank out.

still using that heater for salt mixing and the python hose for water changes to this day.

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love trading , or just giving people frags, its actually what drew me into this hobby.My first salt water tank setup was basically a freebie / trade , first fish , first corals also . With all the very nice named corals out there that I have bought , my favorite ones are ones given too me . It makes it a little more special when its attached to somebody else. The thought and caring that goes into people bringing up fellow reefers is one of my favorite aspects of this hobby. I have been gifted acros, polyps, LPS, shrooms, fungia's , fish , pods , rock , full setups , and I always try and pay it forward , heck I recently re-acquired a very special coral I lost due to shipping hard , simply out of the good nature of the other reefer , not because they were forced too or anything. I will support 1000% the effort of the people who do this for the love it , and wish to share that with others , the world is stress-full enough why not put some smiles on peoples faces..

SebastianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those new to the hobby they may be shocked to learn there was a time frags were free. Even from stores sometimes. Piece of colony broke off in transit? Just take it...

Generally I will trade frags still but if a friend has nothing to trade I would prefer to give it to them and they can either give me something later or never. The supplemental T5's I have on my tank right now I got for free. I've been given tanks, and other random equipment.

I certainly will try and sell most used equipment I get rid of, but there are also times where I'll give it away for free. Most recent example was someone looking for RO canisters. I had extra ones sitting in my shed I'm never going to use. A couple of years back I saw someone trying to bargain with someone online over a cracked tank they wanted for a reptile. I got them to take my 180 for free instead, and when the guy tried to offer me money I told him I should be paying you to take it since I never would have moved it out to throw out.
I was actually given a frag last weekend from blue reef near Daytona any time I’m out of town I check out the lfs I bought some pieces and gave me a 30 dollar frag

Stevel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an amazing, most awesome friend some of you may know who goes by the name of @Crabs McJones who is mailing me a nice bag of chaeto for FREE and it got me thinking! This hobby is expensive enough, and I'm not complaining, but it's nice to be able to give and receive stuff at no cost! So let's talk about that today!

1. What are some items related to this hobby that you have gotten for free over the years?

2. What's the BEST FREE item you have ever been given in the hobby?

Untitled-5.jpg
Secret Santa is always fun

Pickwun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not exactly - sort of?
I bought a used tank at a flea market. It had been a glo-tank so the gravel was full of fluorescent plastic toys. As I was cleaning it out I noticed that one toy was a little different. When I got the algae cleaned off it turned out to be a nice antique opal brooch which I gave to my wife.

HeinritzReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What are some items related to this hobby that you have gotten for free over the years?
Lots of coral when we were first starting out, dosing materials, a jumbo bangai cardinal fish.

2. What's the BEST FREE item you have ever been given in the hobby?
Probably corals.... we're talking what some reefers were giving away were more like colonies (like 20 heads of trumpet coral) and lots of sticks.

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve gotten some chemiclean from a local reefer who sells coral and lots of good advice here on R2R. I’m still waiting for the day I get as lucky as some of you guys who’ve gotten whole setups for free! :eek:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back