FREE stuff from other reefers! What did you get?

Have you ever gotten anything FREE from someone in the hobby?

• YES

Votes: 464 68.6%
  • NO

Votes: 212 31.4%

• Total voters

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best free item? Well id say the 265 gallon Tank, Stand, live rock, Sump and Puffer set... Now theres a story here. i was going to buy it, guy was moving, took all day to tear it down, he offered to bring it to the house with help to lift it. they ended up dropping it in my driveway and cracking the bottom panel. DIdnt try to charge me, just left everything with me. I was able to sell the rock, and fund the startup costs of the 220 that i ended up buying. worked out in the end.

I turned around and gave that tank away for free, and i belive parts of it will be in @dantimdad new store. Sure i could of tried to sell it, but it was in my way, and really i had no use for such a large tank with a bad bottom. I was over the experience, and rather someone use the glass.

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A de-baffeled JBJ 45 with stand which was perfect as it matched my existing JBJ 45 reef. A 90 gallon Custom Aquarium with Trigger Ruby 36 sump and a Curve 7 skimmer, and a Jaebo DC return pump. Lots of free salt over the years. Tons of frags. A stand or two. A few dinners, and a ton of help moving stuff, one on dude who I consider my friend now helped me with my truck. He didn't charge me.

RUKelly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A
1. What are some items related to this hobby that you have gotten for free over the years?

AEFW, aptasia, turf algae’s are the first 3 that I can think of.

But the good things included fish, frags, an acrylic tank, Metal Halide pendants (thank you LEDs) and I know I’m not remembering half of the blessings I’ve been given.

2. What's the BEST FREE item you have ever been given in the hobby?

Advice, especially here at Reef2Reef!
aiptasia, hair algae for sure. Not good. Some types of shellfish. Interesting. Tiny polyps that liked my tank. Good!

Nanaue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve gotten a lot of things for free, actually. I made great friends with a LFS and it’s employees since I first set up my tank a year ago. They’ve given me entire corals (not just frags) that were upset and/or dying in their tanks to see if I could get them to bounce back. Not all did of course, but I’ve gotten some real gems out of this partnership, though most aren’t anything crazy (unfortunately, no free gold torches for me ) . In exchange, I give them some of my frags and Macroalgae at a large discount if not for free.

Oh, and of course, I too have gotten the free Apstasia, hair algae, and other pests from this little co-op deal. I too am not immune to the sneaky little critters.

antrageous

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Traded a spotbreast angelfish for a chalice. The guy also gave me 5 other frags (green slimer, bubblegum digi, mystic monti) when we met up and I gave him a free zoa frag. But what I gave was not comparable to what he gave. Cool reefer! Wish I gave him more frags but I didn't know.

I just sold my 120 gallon setup, but gave the guy other stuff I didn't need. 29 gallon tank, an old 50 gallon acrylic tank, small stand and 20x filter socks.

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, for anyone here who voted NO, and lives near socal, PM me for a few free zoa frags. (nothing fancy, some dragon eyes and orange bam bams). I also have some GSP covered rocks if anyone wants some. I am a newbie and have no idea how to ship frags so offering only pickup for now :)

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have been given free stuff. This hobby has some great people involved, always someone willing to help.
I have been given free coral frags several times, powerheads, RODI system, dried live rock, 10-20g tanks, 6g JBJ Nanocube, HOB filters, cheato, small piecesof live rock, live sand, got super lucky and won the BRS giveaway a few months back and got my order for free in Perfered Reefer points. I'm sure there is more.
Best free thing I have been given is not yet in my posession but its an MP40 that needs a new wet side. If that does not count then I would say free coral frags.
I try to pay it forward anytime I can if someone is in need.

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 out of the 9 corals I have came from a buddy. Another one from an eBay auction came with 2 extra polys and one is a different type of zoa. My rodi water comes from the same friend as I’m in that apartment life at the moment.

I look to pay it forward once I start getting into some nicer corals myself.

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chatted with my lfs guy for maybe an hour lost track of time, buy a lot from him, he asked if i have any food for my corals at the moment. Said no. Gave me some free rods food. Nice guy.

Vleis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was SUPER LUCKY to recieve a RS REEFER 170 for free about 2 months ago from this clown called @Claundyke Think he fell in his HEAD pretty hard. Thank anyway BUD.

Curve 5 skimmer as well
Nice piece of Rock

Thank just needed a nice BUFF & some replacement plumbing & now we good to go.

Tank:

EDIT: YEAH IM REPLACING THE NEMO VINYL. :D

oldbob50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 80 gal DT, most of the rock in it, substrate, various testing equipment. I had a friend that had owned and closed a store and when he found out I wanted to get into salt water he gave this stuff that he was storing in an old barn. That, his advice and about $2000 more in additional equipment and I have a 2.5 year old reef with 20 or so corals and 8 fish, a 20 gal Qt, a 10 gal pod tank and a Phyto growing operation.

animateash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A woman in my local pet group gave me some free dry rock because she bought way too much, and I've also been gifted a lot of my mother's old aquarium supplies and decor. She used to have an aquarium maintenance business when i was growing up, but now that she's retired it just sat in the garage. I was really happy to receive the dried corals, fake corals, and dried sea fans i remembered from childhood to use in my dwarf seahorse tank today.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back