Freshwater Aquarium Help! Ph

The Fish Tankist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have used reef2reef for my saltwater aquarium issues and I know you guys are very helpful. Does anyone know why Ph in an African Cichlid tank would drop from 7.8 to 6.6 within a few days. I didn't change anything other than doing a water change. I use well-water that is normally around 7.6 and have some crushed coral running. Any suggestions on how to bring the Ph up at a reasonable speed? I have already lost 3 fish and I really need help. Thanks.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Water....Water Change. These two words made the bell go off in my head....ding, ding, ding, ding. Many folks who have wells have a high carbon dioxide concentration, which causes for an acidic pH. This can typically be "fixed" by aerating the water for a day, driving off the carbon dioxide. Carbon Dioxide is easily tested by drawing a fresh sample of water, measuring the pH and now aerating or allowing it to sit overnight and measuring pH again. If CO2 is present, you'll see a pH rise.

If you did a water change with fresh drawn water (that contained CO2), it was acidic. Also note that pure water is not buffered and easily swings from acid to base by whatever contaminants are in there.

OP
OP
T

The Fish Tankist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Water....Water Change. These two words made the bell go off in my head....ding, ding, ding, ding. Many folks who have wells have a high carbon dioxide concentration, which causes for an acidic pH. This can typically be "fixed" by aerating the water for a day, driving off the carbon dioxide. Carbon Dioxide is easily tested by drawing a fresh sample of water, measuring the pH and now aerating or allowing it to sit overnight and measuring pH again. If CO2 is present, you'll see a pH rise.

If you did a water change with fresh drawn water (that contained CO2), it was acidic. Also note that pure water is not buffered and easily swings from acid to base by whatever contaminants are in there.
So I sort of need a water container for this tank?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd first test your water to see if CO2 is your issue.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back