Friendly Fish?

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
A LFS owner has a big frag tank with a yellow tang in it, and when he sticks his hand in, the fish comes over and he's able to pet it, I honestly never would have imagined someone ever petting a fish. Now I understand that this isn't likely the norm for any fish, but I'm looking to create a stocking list for my 75 gallon and I'm curious if there's any fish that you might consider friendly. I know that eventually they'll all learn that person = food, but I'm sure with some there's more to it. All of my shrimp are always so curious when something new is added to the tank, even if it's just my hand they all have to come and check it out. What's your input?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one of my friends and gm of LFS has a maroon clown that will rub his hand when its in the tank.

, Halichoeres melanurus is a great fish.
Cinnamon clown is a bit different clown
Yellow clown goby
Yellow watchman goby
****one Angel per tank****
Coral beauty angel * may nip corals *
Ebilli eye angel *may nip coral*
Half black angel *may nip coral*
****One angel per tank****
Benghi Cardinal

Last edited:
OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting that a lot of the fish on this list aren't entirely reef safe. I would love to get a cowfish or a puffer, but between them being hard to care for and not reef safe I'm afraid it's not in my future no matter how amazing they look.

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a saddle valentini puffer and he (or she) is easy to care for. Has a very inquisitive look, like it is always thinking about what to say. They are reef safe and I don't think they have the beak problem some other puffers do but I do throw in a clam on the half shell every weekend and he goes to town on it, as well as my crabs. Between the clams and him nipping food of the rock I have not seen his beak grow. I have not petted it but I can get it to eat out of my hand if I hold some clam with my fingers. Here is a video not long after had set my 75 gallon tank.

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a saddle valentini puffer and he (or she) is easy to care for. Has a very inquisitive look, like it is always thinking about what to say. They are reef safe and I don't think they have the beak problem some other puffers do but I do throw in a clam on the half shell every weekend and he goes to town on it, as well as my crabs. Between the clams and him nipping food of the rock I have not seen his beak grow. I have not petted it but I can get it to eat out of my hand if I hold some clam with my fingers. Here is a video not long after had set my 75 gallon tank.

Oh he's fun, very small too I don't think I've ever seem puffers that size at LFS. He'll eat snails and hermits though? I do have an attachment to my various inverts.

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another funny he does is how he sleeps. Wedged up in the corner of the tank. Freaked me out the first time saw it. This is not my video but this is exactly what mine does.

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another funny he does is how he sleeps. Wedged up in the corner of the tank. Freaked me out the first time saw it. This is not my video but this is exactly what mine does.

That would worry me for sure. Personally when they tuck their tails in and almost fold themselves in half like yours started to do at the end of your video it always freaks me out a little.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a yellow blotch rabbitfish that would let you rub his nose.

Cowfish and puffers are also quite friendly.

Yikes, I can't imagine rubbing my One Spot Foxface. One nurvous twitch with it's spines would turn it into a bad day very quickly. @ The OP, a Wrasse would be a great choice. Very curious and beautiful fish.

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes, I can't imagine rubbing my One Spot Foxface. One nurvous twitch with it's spines would turn it into a bad day very quickly. @ The OP, a Wrasse would be a great choice. Very curious and beautiful fish.
I am looking at getting a wrasse, but there's just so so many to pick from!! I also heard they could get a bit aggressive but I'm not sure if I'm remembering that in the context when I was asking about a 29 gallon instead

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pet my one spot foxface almost every day, hes a sweetheart.

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pet my one spot foxface almost every day, hes a sweetheart.
That's pretty cool, I'm considering a fox face or a yellow tang. I'm also looking for other interesting fish for stocking aside from your typical things.

JRAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think hawkfish have a lot of personality and are fun to watch. They are reef safe but will perch on corals. I have a flame hawk that is one of my favorite fish.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back