fritz turbo start 900 false advertisement

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is/was it in date? If you still have it you could always add more, it says you can add up to 5x the dose.

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did your process go? Add Fritz, then add 2ppm ammonia? Did you add more ammonia after the first dose?

With Fritz you can add a fish or two in immediately. Unless you followed the instructions as written, you have no case. Fritz has worked vey well for many on this site.

FritzZyme® TurboStart® 900 contains the same proven strainsof effective, Live Nitrifying Bacteria as FritzZyme 9, but at 15 timesthe concentration. TurbosStart 900 reduces fish loss due to toxiclevels of ammonia and nitrite. Establishing colonies of nitrifyingbacteria thewithout FritzZyme can takeweeks; FritzZyme TurboStartcompletely cycles aquariums in five days or less, allowing for safe,immediate addition of livestock. TurboStart may be added to newtanks or established systems any time the biofilter needs fortificationincluding; after water changes, aggressive cleaning, adding newlivestock,medicating,orchangingfiltermedia.

Dosage / Instructions:
Chlorine and Chloramines are lethal to Turbo Start bacteria andmust be completely removed before addition. Turn off UV sterilizersbefore use, and for 5 days after each introduction of Turbo Start 900.Shake bottle, add 1 oz. (29 ml) Turbo Start per 40 gallons (151 L) ofwater. Add animals after acclimating.Do not overcrowd tank. Do notoverfeed. Testwater parameters regularly. To decrease cycling time,Turbo Start 900 can be safely used up to 5x recommended dosage.NOTE: Systems may be slightly cloudy or smell of sulfur for severalhours after treatment. Because conditions in individual tanks mayvary greatly, Fritz Industries, Inc. is not responsible for loss or injurytoanimatematerial.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So fritz claim the cycle is done in 5 days or less i am on day 7 and currently the bacteria can only handle converting 0.16 ammonia per day i am using a hanna checker not the crappy colour charts

fake news.png
My God does it say most cycles take weeks! I didn't have zero ammonia until 5 1/2 months lol, thats what I get from a dry rock fishless cycle :upside-down-face:

OP
OP

2020 Worst Year

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it insane that people just absolutely have to dump a dozen fish into a new tank on day 6. So short sighted for so many reasons. A temper tantrum over a cycle lasting 6 days is the poster child for this new found nonsense.
whos dumping a dozen fish in?? where did i say that

they we're the ones advertising it cycles in 5 days not me

Last edited by a moderator:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how sure are you about that cause i have a fish reserved and it was not cheap its costing me £1350
I would risk it, especially with your fish, but not my own unless I had too. I wouldn't be overly concerned if it was my fish actually, but I would have to consider the comfort of the fish. Clearly best to wait until you are sure it is safe but in all likelihood it will be fine. Stop adding ammonia. Those 4x dose of bacteria should be crawling all over the rock.

I do think that I have read that excess ammonia can inhibit growth of added bacteria but the bacteria are going to grow quickly because that is what they do. Gonna post this before the thread gets shut down.

take it easy folks. We're all on the same team and Fritz has 50+ years of bashing behind it and it's still out there for us. Let the poster vent, and others can learn what to expect perhaps? :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:
Summer Handbag GIF by Victoria Monét

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird. I had an emergency and had to throw 52 fish into a half filled 150 tote with fresh water. Used fritz to control ammonia. They are on week 3 of their new qt home.

Worked for me.
IMG_1624.jpeg
How did they do in "fresh water"? :face-with-tears-of-joy:

I'm getting ready to do this on a system I need to deal with some pests in. I haven't been able to get myself up to put the fish and coral in a tub. Thanks for the inspiration! And the chuckle, Freshwater! :smiling-face-with-sunglasses: Fresh mix, i get it.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
R2R was founded on the simple premise to develop a warm, friendly, suitable place to gather and discuss this hobby for people of all ages, backgrounds, and experience levels. The “Be Nice” policy is something we take very seriously. This can be especially challenging when we perceive trolling activity - please work to separate the problem from the people and focus on addressing the problem.

We highly encourage healthy debate here and understand not everyone will agree on all issues. In fact, we value healthy and even lively discussion of hobby issues and questions...this actually leads to advancements in our hobby, so we ALL win through these debates. What we will not tolerate is the negativity, name calling, belittling attitude towards other members or the topics being discussed. We are not asking you to cease debating your positions. What we are asking is that you do so in a healthy, respectful manner.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did they do in "fresh water"? :face-with-tears-of-joy:

I'm getting ready to do this on a system I need to deal with some pests in. I haven't been able to get myself up to put the fish and coral in a tub. Thanks for the inspiration! And the chuckle, Freshwater! :smiling-face-with-sunglasses: Fresh mix, i get it.
In an emergency, you do what you need to.

Vendors such as Dr. Reef quickly cycle QT tanks for almost immediate use as well. There, however is a large difference between a small QT with a sponge filter sponge and a reef with substrate, rock etc, and suitability for fish.

In your case, you will benefit from being able to move existing rock into the holding tank, negating the need for a cycle, though added bacteria will not likely hurt.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what Fritz Turbo Start has looked like for me every time I've messed with it....
(Fritz Turbo is in the Red)
Group 3 Total Ammonia and Nitrite
Group2amm_NO2.png

Fritz Turbo start and Caribsea Ocean Direct responded to ammonia-only quickly and cleared it in about the same time, but the sand started slower and sped up while fritz slowed way down at the very end after the fastest initial activity...

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I get into this, let me start with a simple disclaimer, I'm not a Fritz fan, I don't use any of their products personally in any of my tanks.

Now, I'm not quite understanding why you're confused as to why you still have ammonia when you've added ammonia. Assuming you are cycling a new tank, the ammonia source should have only been added once on day 1 prior to the addition of the Fritz product.

Per your own post, your ammonia was decreasing, showing that the bacteria was starting to do its job (maybe not as fast as you would have liked) and you now interfered by doing a water change and added more ammonia. So of course you still have ammonia, you are essentially back on Day 1 of your cycle again.

Unless your tank was super cloudy from a bacteria bloom it was best left alone.

I am not defending Fritz, nor accusing you. But maybe saying that calling their product out in this case is a rush to judgement based on your account provided to us.
Couldn't have said it better myself (except I AM a Fritz fan... ;) )

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cause i have used it and my tank is not cycled durrrr
Just because it did not work does not mean they do false advertising. Your lack of success I think will reflect more on you than them. The product is one of the highest recommended bac in a bottle. If it was all fake, I don't think it would be one of the top bacs in a bottle.

Last edited:

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have tested them but they are impossible results i initially added 3ppm ammonia my nitrites we're 22ppm checked ammonia it was 2.2ppm i did a 95% water change nitrites we're at 5ppm then i dosed 1ppm ammonia nitrites are at 5
And there is your problem.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, he added over 3ppm ammonia... That's problem #1
Is that purely his fault or was he just following the suspect advice provided by so many people these days? (Not a rhetorical question).

I have (absolutely) no issue with bottled bacteria (I think it is a wonderful product). It's much of the advice surrounding system startup that I have the issues with and the somewhat modern trend of trying to populate a full blown reef in a matter of weeks just because nitrifying bacteria counts are viable by day 5. While it is possible for an experienced aquarist to push the envelope, it is usually a disaster for those new to the hobby.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back