0   0   0

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1699659731263.png

@EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal - not sure what is funny. @taricha puts a lot of work into things like this and not only do I trust the data, but also look forward to seeing things quantified and presented in a logical manner.

Edit - and he beat me to it with his response ;)

Calypso's Marine Oasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We use fritzyme 9 or turbostart 900 for all of our comercial qts let it sit 12 hours then put all of our qt fish in. I think the real problem in this instance was too much ammonia added, which stalls bacterial colonies. Evdery instruction I've come across for adding ammonia states add 2 ppm but do not add more than 2 ppmas it can/will stall the cycle. Saw Dr Tim Hovanec talk about it in great length 5-10 years back. Obviously not the same as cycling a reef tank, however.

Last edited:

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the real problem in this instance was too much ammonia added, which stalls bacterial colonies. Evdery instruction I've come across for adding ammonia states add 2 ppm but do not add more than 2 ppmas it can/will stall the cycle. Saw Dr Tim Hovanec talk about it in great length 5-10 years back.
Just a small comment here. I want to push back against this piece of info I see quoted frequently. Dr Tim was probably talking about particular strains of nitrifiers, and this advice is not universal. Some strains of nitrifiers can handle far far higher levels of ammonia.
For instance I put some Fritz in a small tank with 30-40ppm total ammonia, and it processed the ammonia to nitrite just fine.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 46 26.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 32.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back