Frogspawn or Octospawn ID / Color

Kelly3s

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I picked this up because of it's size. I think it is an Octospawn due to many "dots" on one tentacle. But not familiar with having many frog or octospawn.
Any thoughts?

Under the blues it has more of a greenish color to it's tentacles and pinkish/brownish tips. I don't have a way to get a good picture under that lighting.
But as you can see it is very light on the color. Is this maybe just the nature of this type or did it start to bleach before I got it?

It is about 6 inches when fully open and has two heads so looking to cut it and sell a portion but trying to identify so I can research a fair price.

20220725_100222.jpg IMG_0802.JPG

Last edited:

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely an Octo. The general consensus that the difference between octos and frogs is that there is one dot per tentacle for frog.

OP
OP
Kelly3s

Kelly3s

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some tentacles with as many as 25 "dots" (or little branches).

Attachments

• tentacle.jpg
    tentacle.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 35

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Octospawns have the tips on the sides of their tentacles drawn tight to the tentacle, while frogspawns have tips that branch out.

Frogspawn (fimbriaphyllia divisa/paradivisa)
7D545878-2FCF-4CFC-8AFF-1528577948ED.jpeg

Octospawn (fimbriaphyllia yaeyamaensis)
E6917630-5B80-43DC-BF41-20ED5A53F6AC.jpeg

OP
OP
Kelly3s

Kelly3s

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Octospawns have the tips on the sides of their tentacles drawn tight to the tentacle, while frogspawns have tips that branch out.

Frogspawn (fimbriaphyllia divisa/paradivisa)
7D545878-2FCF-4CFC-8AFF-1528577948ED.jpeg

Octospawn (fimbriaphyllia yaeyamaensis)
E6917630-5B80-43DC-BF41-20ED5A53F6AC.jpeg

So it is likely a frogspawn then. Any thoughts on the color?

ReefLife_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, based on the close up it looks more like a frogspawn. As far as coloration if circled below is actually on the coral and not a reflection of the glass/camera, then this may have been a green and purple frogspawn that is losing its color. Your first image under white light, made me think maybe this is just a frogspawn that is not colored but under the blues it definitely looks like it used to have some green polyps with purple tips. Without the picture under blue I would have said that maybe it is its normal coloration, as I have a torch from Indonesia that is white/pink under white and blue lighting. The system this was in may have not had proper lighting and/or lacking higher nutrient levels that LPS seem to like and/or lacking some trace elements. I think you could definitely color this guy up some more with proper lighting and nutrition. How was the lighting in the original tank it was in? Low or high?

I don't have experience with adjusting coloration with lighting for LPS but I have done it with my montipora frag which was becoming more pale in higher lighting and after lowing the par a little started to bring out a much darker green color. I would monitor the spots with the most color and compare photos of the same spot over time to see how adjustments in par is affecting it, giving 2-3 weeks to see any changes before you make another adjustment. Maybe someone more experienced with euphyllia/fimbriaphyllia can chime in.

IMG_0802_LI.jpg

ReefLife_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can color it up some more you could probably sell it for more. Depends on how much work you’re willing to put into it. This is mine in about 150 par under blues.
B82A6D2D-520C-4CAC-861E-A41BECC84B35.jpeg

OP
OP
Kelly3s

Kelly3s

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, based on the close up it looks more like a frogspawn. As far as coloration if circled below is actually on the coral and not a reflection of the glass/camera, then this may have been a green and purple frogspawn that is losing its color. Your first image under white light, made me think maybe this is just a frogspawn that is not colored but under the blues it definitely looks like it used to have some green polyps with purple tips. Without the picture under blue I would have said that maybe it is its normal coloration, as I have a torch from Indonesia that is white/pink under white and blue lighting. The system this was in may have not had proper lighting and/or lacking higher nutrient levels that LPS seem to like and/or lacking some trace elements. I think you could definitely color this guy up some more with proper lighting and nutrition. How was the lighting in the original tank it was in? Low or high?

I don't have experience with adjusting coloration with lighting for LPS but I have done it with my montipora frag which was becoming more pale in higher lighting and after lowing the par a little started to bring out a much darker green color. I would monitor the spots with the most color and compare photos of the same spot over time to see how adjustments in par is affecting it, giving 2-3 weeks to see any changes before you make another adjustment. Maybe someone more experienced with euphyllia/fimbriaphyllia can chime in.

IMG_0802_LI.jpg
Great info thanks! Yes that is the color in some spots under blues. The first evening I looked at it as it transitioned to more blues I was surprised to see some color. And made me start to think it should be a brighter color than it is.

I got this from a LFS that normally has fantastic stuff. Most of their stuff has great color. But I think they had just got this piece in on a shipment the same day I was there.

Everything else in our tank seems to be doing good with our lighting. We have a hammer that has strong colors. And our elegance is as bright as when we bought it. Bright zoas, moni, plate, etc The tank gets trace elements on a doser.

I also bought my first torch from the same store. Wondering now if it may color up a little more also?..hmm.

OP
OP
Kelly3s

Kelly3s

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can color it up some more you could probably sell it for more. Depends on how much work you’re willing to put into it. This is mine in about 150 par under blues.
B82A6D2D-520C-4CAC-861E-A41BECC84B35.jpeg
Nice!! Yeah I think I will wait to split it until I see if it needs to bounce back. Not stress it any more than needed.

OP
OP
Kelly3s

Kelly3s

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I JUST noticed that some of the tips now have this bright neon marks on them. Maybe a sign of possible color change? OH the possible chances are exciting!

Attachments

• tips.jpg
    tips.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 28

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back