Frogspawn placement

Corey Shelk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking into getting a frogspawn frag, or a hammer or torch depending on what is available at the time. I'm worried about the flow and the sweepers. I have a few questions, is this flow too much and do the sweepers go down or just put horizontally and vertical? Attached is a picture of where I want to put the frag. It's directly under the filter output (I can move it if it's too much flow) and horizontally and vertically there are no corals. But right beneath them I just got two zoas (literally just got them yesterday and I just placed them in that spot so they are still closed.) and that's where I want to put more zoas eventually. Will the frogspawn/hammer/torch sweepers be able to affect them at that placement? They are about 4inches at an angle away from where the frag would go. Also I've heard about clowns hosting frogspawn and it being detrimental to the corals. Is that likely and if so how can I prevent that? Pic 1 is a front view of where I want it to go and pic 2 is a side view to show where the zoas are placed/will be placed.

image.jpg

image.jpg

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Medium light and medium flow
We can’t really tell if there’s to much flow in those areas because every tank is different

C Hawk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have placed FS in various lighting and flow conditions. I have been amazed with how adaptable they are. More so with light than flow however. Grown several from small frags to larger than a soft ball in size. I do agree with James M. The optimum is medium flow and light. If you are not getting full expansion, you have to much of one or the other or both. Not a great revelation I am sure :)

OP
OP
Corey Shelk

Corey Shelk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has been set up for about a month now. Here is a pic of the light I run. Also yeah I guess you can't really tell with flow in pictures. What do you qualify as moderate flow and high flow? What about the sweepers? Do they sweep below the coral?

IMG_6689.JPG

C Hawk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frog spawn has no sweeps. But the chemical sting from their polyps are deadly to other coral.
Flow is a judgment call. You want to see a gentle sway back and forth. Not chaotic movement.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frog spawn has no sweeps. But the chemical sting from their polyps are deadly to other coral.
Flow is a judgment call. You want to see a gentle sway back and forth. Not chaotic movement.
Frogspawns do have sweeper tentacles
Edit :

C Hawk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QUOTE="James M, post: 5144421, member: 104355"]Frogspawns do have sweeper tentacles
Edit : [/QUOTE]

well we must agree to disagree then. I have been keeping FS for several years and I have several very large colonies. They do not have sweepers like a galacia or a chalice. They do have polyps that extend a bit longer than
the others. But I would not call them sweepers. All the polyps on a FS can chemically attack another coral. But what do I know. I just have some the size of large softballs.

BedrockIOMC

Never to salty, Just don't go over 35.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my frogspawn up top in the middle of my tank and it lives its up there. It is a BioCube 32 and the lights are not really high in Par but it does get a lot up there. Been growing for months and doing great. It does get about medium flow where he is.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back