From 20L DIY AIO to 40B with Sump

Michael Stetz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be my second tank build but my first build thread.

I have a 20L FOWLR that has been running for over a year now and I am ready to upgrade to a 40B. I am in the process of curing 15lbs of pukani that I plan to add to the 20lbs of Reef Saver from my 20L.

My Eshopps Eclipse large overflow is scheduled for delivery tomorrow so after that I will attempt drilling a tank for the first time.

I plan on transferring the rock and block of marine pure from my 20L to the new system and I am hoping to be instantly cycles because I dont really have room to run both tanks at once. Does that sound like a realistic goal? I could also through some sponge in my AIO to harvest bacteria prior to the move if needed. I also think I will be going barebottom but could put some sand in a media bag to help cycle the new system.

I like the look of sand (crushed coral) but I admit that I have never been good about vacuuming it which is the reason I am thinking about going bare bottom.

I am open to suggestions on sump size and layout. I bought a 20L with the intention of using that but already put it in service for my figure 8 puffer brackish tank ;-) So I will probably wait for the next $1 per gallon sale to buy a sump. I am not looking to run filter socks but want room for a skimmer, a good sized refugium, and a return chamber.

I will be researching 40B build threads here for a while. If you started one or know of a good one let me know and I would love to check it out.

Stay tuned I will update as things come up.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be my second tank build but my first build thread.

I have a 20L FOWLR that has been running for over a year now and I am ready to upgrade to a 40B. I am in the process of curing 15lbs of pukani that I plan to add to the 20lbs of Reef Saver from my 20L.

My Eshopps Eclipse large overflow is scheduled for delivery tomorrow so after that I will attempt drilling a tank for the first time.

I plan on transferring the rock and block of marine pure from my 20L to the new system and I am hoping to be instantly cycles because I dont really have room to run both tanks at once. Does that sound like a realistic goal? I could also through some sponge in my AIO to harvest bacteria prior to the move if needed. I also think I will be going barebottom but could put some sand in a media bag to help cycle the new system.

I like the look of sand (crushed coral) but I admit that I have never been good about vacuuming it which is the reason I am thinking about going bare bottom.

I am open to suggestions on sump size and layout. I bought a 20L with the intention of using that but already put it in service for my figure 8 puffer brackish tank ;-) So I will probably wait for the next $1 per gallon sale to buy a sump. I am not looking to run filter socks but want room for a skimmer, a good sized refugium, and a return chamber.

I will be researching 40B build threads here for a while. If you started one or know of a good one let me know and I would love to check it out.

Stay tuned I will update as things come up.

One of my favorite size and dimensions of tank. 40b was my first ever saltwater tank as well.

I think your goal of "no cycle"is realistic with your approach. The disclaimer would be that you may have a slight cycle, but will likely bring enough bacteria over with the marinepure block and your live rock that you will likely not have any detectable ammonia and nitrite. Try to keep the live rock and marinepure block from being exposed to air for long periods of time. I have done the same style of tank moves (one tank directly to the other) without issue.

With the new pukani rock you are adding, test the water to see what phosphates the rock might be adding as this can throw your stability off.

If you do new sand, I recommend getting that into the new tank before you move the live stuff (rock, corals, fish) over to allow it to settle. Only caution here is to still set your live rock on the bottom glass to minimize the possibility of shifting from sand dwelling livestock.

Good luck with the move! Can't wait to see some pictures.

OP
OP
Michael Stetz

Michael Stetz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally drilled my 40B the other day. I am getting ready to begin the setup and make the move. I want to paint the back glass next. I really like the look of a blue background but I know black will help hide the overflow. Does anyone have images of blue tanks with black overflows?

I also need to start thinking about plumbing. This is my first external sump build so what is the best (quietest) drain setup to use? My Eshopps Large overflow has 3 drains.

20181017_111501.jpg

OP
OP
Michael Stetz

Michael Stetz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am finally getting started on butting baffles for my sump. The baffles are all 1/4 black acrylic the 2nd and 3rd baffle will have 1" teeth to catch chaeto or anything else thrown in the refugium.

I do not have a skimmer and do not plan to buy one anytime soon but the intake chamber will be 7" wide. It will house the heater and most likely some rubble rock marine pure and live rock.

The fuge will be 13-13.5" wide and 7" tall.

The first stage of the bubble trap will be 2" leaving the option to add media trays followed by 1" leading to the return.

The return will be 6.5 wide and will house pumps and ato sensors.

I want to start cutting the baffles but if anyone has any advise on their height please let me know.
15602741551986257396743946798109.jpg

OP
OP
Michael Stetz

Michael Stetz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20190611_144846.jpg
20190611_152025.jpg

I marked 1/4" spaces for teeth, set my depth and clamped down some scrap to make a fence. Then cut all the teeth. Hopefully I will have time to silicone them in place tonight.

OP
OP
Michael Stetz

Michael Stetz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All set in place according to plan. I believe I will be finding black shavings in my garage for years lol
20190611_164655.jpg

OP
OP
Michael Stetz

Michael Stetz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15603878357643446495586034950718.jpg
I think this is my final layout. I shrunk the drain chamber to 4" and cut the baffle horizontally. I will space it up 3/8 with some cutoff acrylic. I also added a piece of scrap acrylic 1" before the second baffle incase I add sand to the fuge. The return chamber will be 6" to leave plenty of room for a return pump (possibly a Jabeo DCT 4000).

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good!

The weir on the bottom of your bubble trap might get annoying to clean but as long as you remember it in your maintenance you'll be good.

OP
OP
Michael Stetz

Michael Stetz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I am curious to see how the flow through the first baffle turns out. I really hope water flows through and over the first baffle. If not I will probably block off some of the gap or remove the top and narrow the gap.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back