From Cichlids to Corals

ReefNewbie909

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do I start? Well about 5 years ago I started off with a 20g long tank and 2 African cichlids. The addiction grew. I upgraded to a 55g tank and added more cichlids. Eventually getting to 100g. I’ve always been curious about saltwater but too intimidated and afraid. After making new friends that have saltwater they convinced me how easy it was. Here I am 5 months into my newest addiction. I already had what I needed with the exception to lights. So I cleaned out my sand. Cleaned out my sump and did the live fish cycle using frtiz.

Current Equipment:
Neptune Apex system
Eshopps RS-300 Sump
DC Return pump
Jebao Wave maker
Simplicity DC240 Skimmer
2-CoralCare Lights with Wifi controller
Stand is a basic Cabinet from Home Depot with a custom canopy.

I have big plans for the future. Including Neptune Trident, ATK, DOS with DDR and the Neptune Feeder. Eventually I would like to upgrade the tank size to something larger that’s drilled and built in overflow so I don’t have to use a hang on back overflow.

1ED2A202-53E3-4241-8B5D-6B189A8CD90F.jpeg 9D22C468-640B-407A-A9A8-4857BB07A662.jpeg 8DA6D2CB-6B6C-4DAA-B9B7-ED4A9E4F75F7.jpeg image.jpg

Hoodstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I too had people talk me into saltwater but I wouldn’t say it’s easy lol, there headaches, anxiety, and forsure stress. However it’s very rewarding and a doorway to a new world. Great forum to be apart of and welcome! Can’t wait to see what you do with the tank.

The_ReefB0y_FOX24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef! Don't be afraid and just go for it your past the costly part so if you do some research and know what your doing it should be smooth. Are those photos of your tank if so I think your of to a great start. If not you still have the equipment and are only a week-month
and couple purchases away from your reef/salt tank.
Star Trek Voyager GIF by Star Trek

OP
OP
ReefNewbie909

ReefNewbie909

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely making progress. Added the Neptune ATK, DOS and Trident. Tank has been stable and my Euphyllias are now showing multiple heads grown and my Ricordea mushrooms are splitting and “planting” babies.

39580B04-96AF-48E7-93C9-0A97D1CD6CDE.jpeg 4291C59F-A85F-4E8F-8D60-E0A21759FB19.jpeg

Mystersynyster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just patience, do everything slow. The only thing quick in saltwater is death, and I don't think you ever truly get out of the expensive phase. Wait until you see some of the prices on livestock, but I would do it all again, just bigger, lol

OP
OP
ReefNewbie909

ReefNewbie909

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just patience, do everything slow. The only thing quick in saltwater is death, and I don't think you ever truly get out of the expensive phase. Wait until you see some of the prices on livestock, but I would do it all again, just bigger, lol
Oh I am experiencing it. I spent $120 on a blue jaw trigger fish.

Mystersynyster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And do a lot of research before any purchase. That trigger will prob munch about any coral you put in with it

OP
OP
ReefNewbie909

ReefNewbie909

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And do a lot of research before any purchase. That trigger will prob munch about any coral you put in with it
It’s a male. From what I’ve read and heard it’s the females that are the aggressors. He’s actually my most calmest fish. My chromis is more of a bully and he’s half the size. My Fox Face is my other big guy. Also calm. My Mandarin is the one I’m most worried about. I read they are picky eaters. I buy pods every 4 days and add them at night with all the pumps off. Dose 30ml of phyto every other day.

Mystersynyster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a male. From what I’ve read and heard it’s the females that are the aggressors. He’s actually my most calmest fish. My chromis is more of a bully and he’s half the size. My Fox Face is my other big guy. Also calm. My Mandarin is the one I’m most worried about. I read they are picky eaters. I buy pods every 4 days and add them at night with all the pumps off. Dose 30ml of phyto every other day.
Awesome to hear man, yes mandarins can be hard to keep, def need a good supply of pods. You can grow some cheato in sump to house the pods and they will naturally distribute in yout display

OP
OP
ReefNewbie909

ReefNewbie909

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome to hear man, yes mandarins can be hard to keep, def need a good supply of pods. You can grow some cheato in sump to house the pods and they will naturally distribute in yout display
I put a small amount of cheato on the sump but don’t have room for a refugium. My next upgrade will be a sump with space for one.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 56.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.8%
Back