Fuge before or after skimmer?

  • Thread starter Thread starter riche
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Is your Refugium before or after skimmer?

  • Before

    Votes: 262 36.3%
  • After

    Votes: 351 48.7%
  • Other

    Votes: 108 15.0%

  • Total voters
    721

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 7, 2014
Messages
1,246
Reaction score
439
Location
Metro Detroit
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know it’s been asked before but is there benefits of doing it this way?
I really like the idea of the fuge helping with the nitrates and such as it’s natural, skimmer is just to help clean the water.

I was going to use a roller but it takes up to much space in the sump, I can use filter socks but I’m one that forgets to change them. Trying to keep this simple (the inner workings)

Or could I have my skimmer first and then have the drain tee off so some dirty water goes into the skimmer and the rest goes into the fuge?
 
Ditto. I would like to get to the point of no Skimmer and 2 chambers of fuge
I'm just establishing my fuge in the lastest tank build. I still like my skimmer and will probably always run one... maybe not 24/7 though. I did include a less powerful skimmer in this build in response to experiencing over-skimming in the past.
 
I will give a slight different opinion. 1. I agree it probably doesn't make a huge difference. 2. I think a skimmer and a fuge as compared to 2 fuses makes more sense. 3. As to the order - on a totally theoretical basis - it makes sense to me to give the fuge the most nutrient rich water (ie fuge first) - and then send that water to the skimmer. This again theoretically, will result in more nutrients for the fuge - and less 'work', skim mate, evaporation, etc from the skimmer.
 
Here is my design on paper, nice and simple but can change as needed
 

Attachments

  • C6D998A6-11AB-4587-8F12-4D06414AD90F.jpeg
    C6D998A6-11AB-4587-8F12-4D06414AD90F.jpeg
    166.5 KB · Views: 171
I Dont have filter socks socks and Cheto has been happier since. Skimmer takes out much from water whats needed by fuge. so before is better still imo
 
After because I wouldn’t want algae entering the skimmer. Would also add some mechanical filtration post Fuge to keep it out of the DT for the same reasons. Although, I’d lose the skimmer and just have a larger Fuge. Lose the socks too. Perhaps split the sump so I can have two Fuges on opposite light schedules. Not worried about trapping detritus, either.
 
I've had it both ways, but with the fuge before the skimmer, it ingests a lot of chaeto, which is a PITA
I had it after as well - and then had a ton of chaeto in my tank. My guess is the solution is to filter the effluent from the fuge before it gets to the skimmer (I put a sponge on the inlet of the skimmer)
 
I had it after as well - and then had a ton of chaeto in my tank. My guess is the solution is to filter the effluent from the fuge before it gets to the skimmer (I put a sponge on the inlet of the skimmer)

I didn't mind that because my tangs ate it. It didn't seem to clog up the return pump like it did the skimmer pump, obviously because it doesn't have a pin wheel type impeller. I tried a sponge on the skimmer inlet but I found over the course of several days it would restrict water flow and made it hard to tune. Of course each person's situation and experience will be different.
 
Dont think it really matters. Unless 100% of you sump water goes into the skimmer pump outlet, you'll still have plenty of dirty water for the 'fuge. Main benefit I see is it may help keep some of the detritus out of your cheato or whatever algae you use. In any case for those akimmer before......there are still copepods everywhere! For those with skimmer after......there's plenty of nitrates and phosphates left over for your pods.
 
Order is not too important, this is two different filtration methods, not all water that pass trough fuge is used, same as not all of water in skimmer chamber actualy get into skimmer...

For me, skimmer is after the fuge, so ocasionaly i use small powerhead to lift things from corners and beneath the rock in fuge, wich then go into skimmer, most of them.....
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 5 38.5%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 23.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new