Full recovery from a near D.O.A?

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check this out guy when I first got him:

I have never seen a fish recover from anything like this before in over a decade of fishkeeping. It has always been some irreversible damage of some kind due to water parameters and death occurred within 12 hours.

I knew something was wrong and I couldn't wait for him to acclimate normally, so I immediately started adding my tank water to give him something to cling to, and then released him within about 5 minutes.

He fluttered to the bottom like a typical dying fish, and flopped around while gasping and breathing fast, then wedged up into some rock where my tiny yellow watchman goby hangs out, then disappeared.

Now here he is...seemingly normal!

You guys ever seen anything like this?

I figure he's got a solid 60% of survival at this point...maybe even higher..thoughts?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Check this out guy when I first got him:

I have never seen a fish recover from anything like this before in over a decade of fishkeeping. It has always been some irreversible damage of some kind due to water parameters and death occurred within 12 hours.

I knew something was wrong and I couldn't wait for him to acclimate normally, so I immediately started adding my tank water to give him something to cling to, and then released him within about 5 minutes.

He fluttered to the bottom like a typical dying fish, and flopped around while gasping and breathing fast, then wedged up into some rock where my tiny yellow watchman goby hangs out, then disappeared.

Now here he is...seemingly normal!

You guys ever seen anything like this?

I figure he's got a solid 60% of survival at this point...maybe even higher..thoughts?
Great job. Looks fairly decent recovery. In video, cant see entire fish but if its breathing normal and eating - even better yet. May have been cold upon arrival requiring Good acclimation
Assure its not or does not become skinny/thin

OP
OP
M

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job. Looks fairly decent recovery. In video, cant see entire fish but if its breathing normal and eating - even better yet. May have been cold upon arrival requiring Good acclimation
Assure its not or does not become skinny/thin

Thanks man. I haven't seen it eat yet, but it's only been in the tank a few hours.

I'll be looking to spot feed tomorrow but the territorial behavior is very encouraging..

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks man. I haven't seen it eat yet, but it's only been in the tank a few hours.

I'll be looking to spot feed tomorrow but the territorial behavior is very encouraging..
small meaty foods:
Spirulina brine shrimp
LRS nano frenzy
marine cuisine
mysis shrimp

butt selcon vitamins to the foods occasionally

OP
OP
M

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad to report that he kept surfing the top of the tank, jumped into the overflow several times (including squeezing through the teeth), and ultimately I found him mangled in the filter sock yesterday

Was very sad as he seemed to be doing fine, but I disturbed him from his home when looking for a missing fish and then he never settled after that.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somehow my post ended up in wrong thread. Glitches or something. This can be deleted

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back