Fuller's Reef

JimFuller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, here goes. I told my wife I wanted to put a 75 Gallon tank back up in my office after tearing all my tanks down in 2015. She said "No". Her idea is for the office to have a bigger tank. After discussions as to size, costs, and timing, we agreed to look at a several year project to install a greater than 180 Gallon tank in the office. Original plan was for a 55 Gallon in the basement that would be a stand alone for a QT to the bigger tank later.

My wife surprised me with a request for a 75 Gallon stand alone tank in the Living Room, Her idea was to have it as a startup and grow out tank for coral that could seed the big tank, while allowing our friends and family to enjoy the tank in the mean time. I never have been one to argue with a good idea.

I was looking to purchase a brand new tank and build a stand, when a gentleman in the local community came up with a problem of having to move out of his apartment. He was going to have to move several times in as many months and was concerned with moving the tank that much. His tank was a 75 Gallon Aqueon Reef Ready with a stand, sump, etc. We came to a good agreement to the price of the tank moved and delivered into my front room.

Before the move I setup a quick water station as can be seen here:
20170722_100642.jpg

On July 15th, 2017 the system was delivered and became my responsibility. In putting it up, I found a couple of plumbing issues. They became the first priority to fix. I solved by removing the hoses and using PVC 1" Schedule 40 lines. I got the tank and sump up and running with water, live rock, and bio-load back in. elapsed time was less than 4 hours from break down. I was lucky in having only a very small cycle. As I went to put the skimmer into the sump, I realized it had not been assembled correctly. I got the instructions and assembled it correctly. But I was unable to get sufficient level to skim correctly. I checked the water level and found it was below the amount the skimmer required.

The next day I took some acrylic and increased the skimmer section water level. The Skimmer started working great with a tea looking skimmate. I left it like this to clean out a bunch of stuff from the move.

Here is a picture of how it looked the next 7/16/2017 night:
20170716_143412.jpg

I'll post more later, but the mess has started.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JimFuller

JimFuller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is doing well in the next installment. But I had to move the water station into the basement, where to eventual sump for the system would be. Here is a picture after the move:
20170902_134326.jpg

The Water Station as of 9-2-2017

The tank has been fairly stable, but has high Nitrates (40ppm) and Phosphates (.5 ppm). With the tank only being a month and a half old here, I am watching for the "Uglies" to start. I, also, considered "Vodka Dosing" with the small sump this tank has.

20170902_134511.jpg

The sump is an Esshop RS-75. The skimmer is Aqua-Max CO-1 Skimmer. The return pump is a Current E-flux DC Pump Model 6009. Two Hydor Koralia Evolution Powerheads (850gph) provide flow inside the tank.

Just a few LPS corals and fish at this point. I am attempting to get the tank to "Mature" by using time. It may not be the best plan, but that is where I am at the first of September 2017.

OP
OP
JimFuller

JimFuller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had fun on September 26th, 2017. I was doing normal tank maintenance. It include draining 20 Gallons and adding 20 Gallons of fresh saltwater. I had not completed the redo on the plumbing of the water station after the move. I had a hose I used to mix the saltwater and fill my 5 Gallon jug to carry upstairs to the tank. I filled a jug and went up to put in the tank. I put the hose in the top of the mix tank loosely. While I was putting the water in the tank upstairs, one of my cats decided to bat the hose out of the mix tank. With a wet cat yellowing, I went investigating. By the time I got back to the water station, I had 70 Gallons of Saltwater all over the floor, including my wife's stain glass area.

I had to take water out of the RO/DI tank and mix up saltwater to finish filling the tank. What a mess.

It is a good thing the floor drains worked or we could have had some real damage. As it was, I just ended up having to cleanup the floor and explain to my wife.

The outcome of that conversation was that I had to complete the manifold right a way. So this is what the new manifold looks like on 9-27-2017:
20170927_080151.jpg

The New Manifold 9-27-2017

This is a picture of the water station as it currently is in use:
20170927_080244.jpg

Just a side note: the basement sump will be to the left where the table is. The table is an area holder for us.

The water change lowered the Nitrate to 25 ppm and Phosphates to .25 ppm. This is a good improvement.

OP
OP
JimFuller

JimFuller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of things happened in my life and the tank basically ended up on auto pilot. While testing and water changes were done every two weeks, not much else was done on the tank until December. Here a shot of the Kitties liking their new TV :)

20171204_181836.jpg

All the corals and Fish are doing well.

OP
OP
JimFuller

JimFuller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for a bit of an update. About a week ago, I added two more AI HD Prime lights:

20180127_162631.jpg

The corals are growing and the fish surviving.

But on a sad note, we lost Alice kitty that was shown watching kitty TV did not make it. She came down with a tumor that was not operable.

We did have an issue with the Green Star Polyps. They covered the rock they were on. Then a gentleman offered me a good price. So, I took a frag off to anther rock and sold them to him. I may end up with a similar issue with the Pulsing Xenia on the left side of the tank. Don't you just hate it when things grow so fast you have frag off pieces and sell them ?

The tank is about 7 months old. It appears to be coming along nicely. Nitrate are a bit higher than I would like. They are running between 15 and 25 ppm. The Phosphates are holding at .03 to .25 ppm. I have tried feeding less, but think a refugium may be the answer. This will mean a sump change. The EShop RS-75 does not have any space for one.

All in all the tank appears to be doing well.

Last edited:

APrince62

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I ask what the pink pancake looking items are on top?

OP
OP
JimFuller

JimFuller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are Red Plating Montproia. The one on the left is about 6 months old. It started as a chip from the center on about the size of a little finger nail. The center is about 1 1/2 years old. The right is about one year old.

Jim

Last edited:
OP
OP
JimFuller

JimFuller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have had a number of issues with my life including a detached retina. The tank went without a water change for over two months last July. It fared really well. While I was able to get most of my sight back in the eye, I still can not focus for reading etc. I have had time to get the tank running really well.

Some shots of the tank today:

20190216_143104.jpg
20190216_143113.jpg
20190216_143202.jpg

OP
OP
JimFuller

JimFuller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is time for some upgrades. I currently run GFO, Carbon RX8, and Biopellets. I have 2 Maxi-Jet 1200 to run these reactors. This is in a RS-75 sump. The return pump is a Current E-Flux 1000 GPH DC Pump. I have decided to update the Sump and Pump. I will add a manifold to allow for an easier control of the reactors. The sump will be a 20 Gallon Long. This will allow room for a Refugium in which Pods, etc. can be grown.

The mock up of the 20 Gallon Sump was :

20190308_220433.jpg

20190308_220449.jpg

20190308_220452.jpg

20190308_220455.jpg

OP
OP
JimFuller

JimFuller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, life has gotten in the way. My wife and daughter have been taking care of the tank. I have not seen it since March 31, 2019. Hopefully, I will get back to it soon.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back