Fussy(?) elegance

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was given to me a week ago cuz it didn't like the flow in his previous home. Not it's in a more chill spot but hasn't really opened up yet. Is it still adjusting, in need of a better location (higher light, more flow...) or what?
IMG_20240310_084637719.jpg

Sorry for the bad picture, I can try to get a new one, but the glass is dirty and hard to clean there.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was given to me a week ago cuz it didn't like the flow in his previous home. Not it's in a more chill spot but hasn't really opened up yet. Is it still adjusting, in need of a better location (higher light, more flow...) or what?
IMG_20240310_084637719.jpg

Sorry for the bad picture, I can try to get a new one, but the glass is dirty and hard to clean there.
It’s really hard to tell from this picture but this elegance looks extremely unhappy. I don’t see any extension at all. My elegances get medium flow and around 100 PAR and they’re super happy. In my experience they open up immediately when placed in a tank. Not sure what to think.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s really hard to tell from this picture but this elegance looks extremely unhappy. I don’t see any extension at all. My elegances get medium flow and around 100 PAR and they’re super happy. In my experience they open up immediately when placed in a tank. Not sure what to think.
Most I've seen has been half open with it's mouth half cracked too. Tried to feed it then, but missed with most of it.

I can move it higher, not sure the par but probably under 100 now.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most I've seen has been half open with it's mouth half cracked too. Tried to feed it then, but missed with most of it.

I can move it higher, not sure the par but probably under 100
Do you know how long the other person had it in their tank? Any idea whether this is a recently collected specimen? They normally don’t take food when they’re this unhappy which of course adds to the problem. Mine really likes oyster feast mixed with restore. The oyster feast weighs the mixture down and helps to increase contact time. I also turn flow completely off for about a half hour when I feed.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont try to feed at this time. Best thing to do is leave as is. They also dont like detritus around them, make sure not shaded and has some flow.

This corals can go through an adjustment phase and most do. They will swell, balloon, loose tentacles, its not pretty. It will take a bit of time. Everything will come back. Feeding can just be general in tank but not target at this time.

it may take a bit longer since it appears to have been adjusting to another tank now put in yours. Its a very common weird thing elegances do. Even will randomly do this throughout its life in your tank but not as much.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know how long the other person had it in their tank? Any idea whether this is a recently collected specimen? They normally don’t take food when they’re this unhappy which of course adds to the problem. Mine really likes oyster feast mixed with restore. The oyster feast weighs the mixture down and helps to increase contact time. I also turn flow completely off for about a half hour when I feed.
He had it a couple of weeks I think.
Dont try to feed at this time. Best thing to do is leave as is. They also dont like detritus around them, make sure not shaded and has some flow.

This corals can go through an adjustment phase and most do. They will swell, balloon, loose tentacles, its not pretty. It will take a bit of time. Everything will come back. Feeding can just be general in tank but not target at this time.

it may take a bit longer since it appears to have been adjusting to another tank now put in yours. Its a very common weird thing elegances do. Even will randomly do this throughout its life in your tank but not as much.
So chill it'll probably with out?

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ime they dont do well in high light at all, they look sorta retracted like that if its too bright, they need dim lights and med flow.
i would say more medium. Dim or shaded they retract and will do the same thing this one. Of course your dim and my medium could be same thing lol. Up to 200 par is highest and no lower than maybe 80ish. All mine have been around 150 to 200.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back