Future 75-125G Stocklist

Kal93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be upgrading to a 75-125 gallon tank in a couple of years.

Any thoughts on:
- Regal angel
- Copperband butterfly
- 2 Leopard wrasses
- Rhomboid fairy wrasse
- 1-2 Flasher wrasse
- Royal gramma
- Yellow headed sleeper goby

My major concern is that some of these fish may be too active or I will have too many fish that stay close to the rockwork (so they would compete for territory). Also, could I add more fish? Or is this a reasonable bioload?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Regal Angel (IMO they need a 6’ tank. They’re not an easy fish to keep though I heard ones from the Red Sea are hardier. Make sure it’s feeding well at the LFS.)

2. Copperband Butterfly (Another hard fish to keep. If you want to try one make sure it’s at least feeding eagerly at the LFS, and once it’s home, pray that it continues to feed and doesn’t stop eating or get sick.)

3. 2 Leopard Wrasses (Not the easiest wrasses to keep. Make sure it’s active and eating well at the LFS before buying.)

4. Rhonboid Fairy Wrasse- They’re really beautiful. Kudos to you if you can find one. Unless you get a confirmed male and female, keep one.

5. Flasher Wrasses- Great. 1 of each species.

6. Royal Gramma- Great.

7. Yellow Headed Sleeper Goby- Maybe, they require a mature sand bed and even then are hit or miss. Many just never eat prepared foods and die. I’d do a shrimp goby instead.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4. Rhonboid Fairy Wrasse- They’re really beautiful. Kudos to you if you can find one. Unless you get a confirmed male and female, keep one.
Even if the genders are confirmed, a female will most likely change to male and cause unwanted agression issues between them, and death of the weaker male.

OP
OP
K

Kal93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Regal Angel (IMO they need a 6’ tank. They’re not an easy fish to keep though I heard ones from the Red Sea are hardier. Make sure it’s feeding well at the LFS.)

2. Copperband Butterfly (Another hard fish to keep. If you want to try one make sure it’s at least feeding eagerly at the LFS, and once it’s home, pray that it continues to feed and doesn’t stop eating or get sick.)

3. 2 Leopard Wrasses (Not the easiest wrasses to keep. Make sure it’s active and eating well at the LFS before buying.)

5. Flasher Wrasses- Great. 1 of each species.

6. Royal Gramma- Great.

7. Yellow Headed Sleeper Goby- Maybe, they require a mature sand bed and even then are hit or miss. Many just never eat prepared foods and die. I’d do a shrimp goby instead.

Thanks for the feedback! If I got a regal angel, it would be from the red sea. Any suggestions for heartier alternates? I thought about multibar angels, but from what I've heard there almost always starve.

Also suggestions for feeding copperbands? I've tried clams and flying fish roe to entice picky fish (so far this has worked). This is probably the fish that I'd be most nervous about.

Okay, I might stick with conches instead of a sleeper goby then.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah don’t let the Sleeper Goby put you off gobies altogether! xD Personally shrimp gobies are some of my favorites. Not really sure about Copperbands but I’ll let the others weigh in.

For a heartier alternative to a Regal Angel an angel of the genus Genicanthus- Lamarck’s, Spot Breast, Bellus and Watanabei are deeper water species. The Lamarck’s is a bit harder to tell between male and female but the rest have very distinct sexual dimorphism. In a 125 maybe only keep one but maybe you could keep two of the smaller species (the ones except the Lamarck). Not sure if if you add two females one will change to male so ask.

Not an angelfish but a Yellow Pyramid or Zoster Butterflyfish is also decent.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back