Future Fish List

PolandSpring

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting to set up my 90gal oceanic tech tank and began thinking about some of the fish that i'll like to keep in the tank. Just wondering if it is too many fish and if i'll have any problems with them together. I'm running a SWC 160 Cone Skimmer and 1xMP40/1xMP20 for flow and an Eheim 1262 for return with a lot of open space in my aquascape so there will be no dead spots.

Anthias– 3 Carberrui Anthias
Mystery wrasse – 1
Leopard Wrasse -1
Red Mandarin – 1
Tailspot Blenny – 1
Yasha Goby - 1
Bloche Anthias – 1
Green Chromis – 5
Blue Eyed Cardinals – 3
Yellow Tang – 1
Blue Hippo Tang - 1
Grade A Snowflake Clownfish– 1

Does it sound good?

Last edited:

110reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like too many fish to me. I had a 110 and the magic number in that tank seemed to be about 7 fish. That is whenever I got above 7 fish, something would happen to bring the population down, like an ich breakout or some other disaster. I usually keep tangs and angels and fish of that size, so you may get away with a few more than me if they are small, but I still think that 20 fish will be too many.

OP
OP
PolandSpring

PolandSpring

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of those fish other than the blue and yellow tang will be about 1''-1.5'', not even. The yasha goby, chromis, mandarin, tailspot and blue eyed cardinals are all really small. If anything i might take out the Blue eyed cardinals.

110reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs are active fish, and they will grow. High bioload. I am assuming the snowflake is an eel? If so, also a large bioload. Wrasses are likewise active fish and i would consider them a fairly high bioload too. Chromis are probably intermediate loads. Just seems like a lot to me. Just my opinion.

OP
OP
PolandSpring

PolandSpring

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, i should be more specific. A Grade A Snowflake Clownfish..
But i was thinking it could work if i have a 1xMP40/ 1xMP20 and the SWC 160 Cone Skimmer and a lot of open room and no dead spots?

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180g currently stocked fish are:
m/F pair barlett anthias
m/f pair lyretail anthias
1 bimaculatus anthias
1 bi-color hawaiian anthias
1 tri-color anthais
1 pink square anthias
1 flame angel
1 male bellus angel
1 bullseye dragonet
2 golden dwarf hawaiian morays
6 green chromis
1 sixline wrasse
1 supermale flame wrasse
1 purple/yellowstreaked fairy wrasse
1 yellow coris
1 large harlequin tusk
m/f pair black ocellaris aussie clowns
m/f pair orange ocellaris clowns
1 longnose hawaiian hawkfish
1 scissortail goby
1 blue gudgeon
1 purple firefish
1 XXL maroon clown (currently living in outside pen due to trying to break sps colony (territory))
m/f pair banggai cardinalfish
1 tiny saddle clownfish
1 marine betta
lots of live rock, good filtration, good skimmer and 2 week 15% water changes is what helps me! (an I got a 6-8 inch DSB!!!)

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd have to agree with it being a touch crowded for my taste. That being said, I've seen more crowded tanks maintained successfully. Add the fish slowly, test your parameters regularly, and don't overfeed. Oh yeah, don't skimp on the water changes either. BTW, the hippo should really get a longer tank in the future if you want to keep it longterm.

OP
OP
PolandSpring

PolandSpring

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im gona get him small about 1'' so i can keep it for a while :D
Im planning on doing 20 gallon water changes every 3 weeks

The mystery and leopard wrasses will do fine together right?

110reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it a shot, every tank is different, and can support differently. Just add your fish slowly, only a few at a time, let them get acclimated before adding more. Don't get in a hurry. And best of luck!

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the same thing I did about a year or so ago. She's about 4 inches now and she's getting a new home soon along with my naso.

OP
OP
PolandSpring

PolandSpring

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well the Chromis' are going in first, then tangs, then wrasses, anthias and then the rest. It'll prob take me about 3-4 months to get most of the fish in the tank..Does that sound good? Or is that too fst or just fine?

OP
OP
PolandSpring

PolandSpring

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it a shot, every tank is different, and can support differently. Just add your fish slowly, only a few at a time, let them get acclimated before adding more. Don't get in a hurry. And best of luck!

I think they are cooler when they're small. But i want to get the yellow tang a little bigger because i think they are beautiful when they swim all around the tank with their bright yellow color. Sorta of like marvins in his 120. Its a beautiful fish

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go as fast as your tank will allow. Every tank is diffrent so it's hard to say. Make sure you test your parameters before each addition to make sure the system as caught up to and isn't being exceeded by the current bio-load and I think you'll be OK.

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think it is a little too heavy, but may work if the wrasses and anthias get along...
but it is hard to say for sure because it is such an ecclectic list
your list should be fine, but..
i would maybe choose a set of one species of anthia, one wrasse and either the chromis or the cardinals

and if all goes well - add the others later

Last edited:

110reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the beginning, go really slow, add a fish wait a couple of weeks, if everything looks good and the fish are disease free and eating, then add another. After the tank is better established, you can add them a little faster, and more than 1 at a time. You can get away with adding several chromis at first, only because they are damsels and are pretty tough, but I suspect you will see a small cycle if you add 5 at once as the first occupants of the tank.

Remember, nothing good happens fast in this hobby.

Again, this is all my personal opinion, but I have been keeping marine fish for 36 years now, and have probably made every mistake possible out there. This is what works best for me.

OP
OP
PolandSpring

PolandSpring

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think it is a little too heavy, but may work if the wrasses and anthias get along...
but it is hard to say for sure because it is such an ecclectic list
your list should be fine, but..
i would maybe choose a set of one species of anthia, one wrasse and either the chromis or the cardinals

and if all goes well - add the others later

i might drop the cardinals and if i have to the leopard wrasse because i know those are hard to keep sometimes.

OP
OP
PolandSpring

PolandSpring

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I have the 120 tech and love it. It's a super nice production tank

yah they are really great. I cant wait to get mine up and running. Im waiting on the lights and skimmer from Luke33.. I'll post some pics up when they come in in my tank thread.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back