Fuzzy Dwarf Lion not doing well.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 21, 2014
Messages
3,433
Reaction score
2,433
Location
Haverhill, MA
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few days ago my Fuzzy Dwarf Lion started doing poor. He started hanging around in one spot and breathing heavy.

It is strange because the day before he was front and center begging for food with the puffer. He did eat that day. They are both very interactive, personable and two of my favorites. He shows no signs of trauma, discoloration, other than being inactive. He has only not begged for food 2 times in the years I have had him, and both were after he accidentally over ate the day before. He snapped out of those within a day.

I've been doing this for a while and unfortunately I've seen this movie before. I remain reluctantly hopeful, but realistically it is a matter of time.

I fed the puffer a clam the last time the lion ate and the only thing I can guess is that maybe he ate a shard of shell (the puffer crushes them up pretty good) and his stomach is injured.

Not asking for any advice, just venting. Everyone else is fine, so I don't question the water quality or the rest of the "system." I know this is part of the hobby, but it sucks when one of your "pets" dies. Especially when you get them less than an inch long and raise them to over 6."
 
Last edited:
Any updates on your lil buddy?
 
So sorry for your loss! Ours stopped eating a few days ago and believe we are soon to go through the same thing. He swims away from the feeder shrimp even.
 
Sorry for your loss these guys are tough :(
 
So sorry for your loss! Ours stopped eating a few days ago and believe we are soon to go through the same thing. He swims away from the feeder shrimp even.
Sorry to hear that.
 
Not to replace anybody, but this guy just arrived literally 10 minutes ago from Live Aquaria. I'm acclimating him into QT now.

I can't have a tank without a lionfish.
20181229_130000.jpeg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 8.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new