Gap between tank & stand ?

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 3, 2013
Messages
3,145
Reaction score
928
Location
Nebraska
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I just bought a Coralife BioCube for my wife as "Patty's Tank" as I have my tanks.

I have two nice matching end table's in the living room and I'm putting the tank one of them.

I checked the table for level with a straight edge and looked good, then slid a piece of paper between and there's a gap. I also checked the gap and areas are between .005-.006.

Is this gap enough to crack the glass when weighted with water, sand, rock and corals ?

Kevin
 
First make sure
the end
table will take
the weight, reinforce If needed.

you can get a thin sheet of cork t under table is need too.
 
These end tables are built like a tank, so no worries. Won't cork soak up spilled water and keep wet ?
Need something like rubber ?

Nope, the BioCube's are glass. I polished out a used and very scratched 14 gallon and it came out well. I do not like acrylic tanks and most sumps. Glass all the way !
 
Yeah it could, but I put a bead of silicone around the base to seal it up.

OSH sells a rubber mat that is thin also, they were out when I needed it and used the cork.

Hate it when the one thing you need no one in our smaller town had it.:-/
 
You could also use a 1/4" foam piece. They sell sheets of it at any Home Depot. I always put foam under my tanks because it will basically absorb any unevenness and create a level platform once the tank is full especially if it is as minimal as what you have going on.
 
Once you fill out with water, it should lay flat without any gaps. I don't think it will cause any issues with the tank either.
 
I went ahead and filled it up with just tap water to check for leaks etc.
No leaks so far, but interestingly, the gaps on one side is tight, the other still has some, but now almost the entire back has a gap, only the corners are flat ?

This is the only tank I've ever worried about leaking ! lol
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 3 4.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.9%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 28.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 6.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new