garden eels

john hill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can anyone tell me anything about them i am setting up a new tank and have always wanted an ell but dot want to go fish only it HAS TO BE A REEF thanks

laskopyre

Chuck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would need a pretty deep sand bed for a garden eel. Most of their body is under the substrate. You'd need at least 6 inches. Also, you need to keep the rocks down to a minimum, since they need to be under the sand. Just like all eels, they like shrimp and crabs. Also will eat small fish. Might not be the best for a reef due to their substrate requirements. Snowflakes are somewhat okay, but it's still an eel.

ecotoxlady

Perpetual student
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are very fascinating creatures which have attracted a lot of attention in the hobby lately. I have been doing research on-line about them out of my own interest and I can definitely say that everything I have read indicates they are an expert only acquisition which require a minimum of a 100gallon system with heavy feeding, typically twice daily of a mixed diet which consists of live artemia, cyclopeeze, mysis, chopped mussel and fish etc. I think that they can be kept in reef aquariums (live aquaria says "with caution"). This was one source of information that I found pretty helpful:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f11/garden-eels-106679.html

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask kigs he has kept them and is planning on keeping a few more...also, email Greenwich Aquarium they house them in their display system...but you definitely need a very DSB in order to keep them

ecotoxlady

Perpetual student
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
John hill, I hope you don't think I was trying to discourage you from keeping them. FaviaFreaks recommendation of speaking with Kigs and with Greenwich Aquarium are both very good!

OP
OP
J

john hill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no i was just hoping that they were realy reef safe and i could have shrimp and everything cant have your cake and eat it to

bannshy

Why be Normal?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
John check with Craig and Rhonda (Tropical Isle) they have got them in before I have even came close to getting some. keep me posted if you do.

Jeremy

Dace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
John hill, I hope you don't think I was trying to discourage you from keeping them. FaviaFreaks recommendation of speaking with Kigs and with Greenwich Aquarium are both very good!
Well honestly i will have to discourage you with the garden eels. I have 12 in my 340gal reef tank and they need a well estabish system in my opinion and are very hard to keep. i have a 6" to 8" sand bed and they never bother my shrimp as long as there adult size shrimp. They never bother my fish either. there more scared of the fish then anything else. Getting them to eat will also be a pretty big task but once you do there food hogs. The dotted eels seem to be pretty intimadated buy everything as to the splendid garden eel seems to be less intimidated by the fish. in either case it's soley up to you if you want to give them a try. When i got mine everyone voted against me getting them and out of 13 i lost one

Dace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never, not at least in my tank. when they state caution in reef tanks i think there reffering to more towards inverts

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 57 42.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 66 48.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.9%
Back