Gem Tang Stopped Eating

Gman6766

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for input on what may be going on that my gem tang just stopped eating. I got him about 10 days ago he has been in 20 gallon QT doing TTM. Qt was medicated with copper power (2.6ppm). He was eating frozen like a pig, fat and happy. 2 days ago he stopped eating all together. I have not seen any labored breathing, yawning, scratching or markings on body other than slight stress coloring when I then on the light inf room was dark which goes away after a min. I did a fresh water dip and apears to be flukes. I have moved him out of copper and into new sterile tank to treat with Prozipro. Fish is still active but showing no interest in any food added to tank. I have tried frozen and live brine so far. Any thoughts would be appreciated

Screenshot_20230407_232735_Gallery.jpg

OP
OP
Gman6766

Gman6766

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and I have tried nori but has not touche it even when he was eating

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for input on what may be going on that my gem tang just stopped eating. I got him about 10 days ago he has been in 20 gallon QT doing TTM. Qt was medicated with copper power (2.6ppm). He was eating frozen like a pig, fat and happy. 2 days ago he stopped eating all together. I have not seen any labored breathing, yawning, scratching or markings on body other than slight stress coloring when I then on the light inf room was dark which goes away after a min. I did a fresh water dip and apears to be flukes. I have moved him out of copper and into new sterile tank to treat with Prozipro. Fish is still active but showing no interest in any food added to tank. I have tried frozen and live brine so far. Any thoughts would be appreciated

Did you see actual in the dip water? Neobenedenia flukes are common in this species, the dead flukes look like gray scales that lay flat on the bottom of the container. Did you see those? If so, roughly how many?
What is the current ammonia level of the water?
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

This fish is showing its stress spots. You are chasing treatments as it seems you went from TTM to copper which was a little high in level , did not complete cycle for treatment and jumped to prazi which lowers oxygen and appetite. You need to identify what you have before you would jump to yet another medication/treatment.
Will need a better pic under white lighting to fully see what fish may have on it.
Need additional info like clamped fins, increased respirations, inflamed gills, unusual behaviors, etc.

OP
OP
Gman6766

Gman6766

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vetteguy53081. I do TTM with copper together bot as separate seperate treatments as suggested watching BRS QT 80/20. I swit hed him to prozi because saw flukes when did fresh water dip. Amonia is undetectavble when teste last night. Behavior has been the same activity level and such since he settled in and was eating. Breathing areas to be normal and swiming normal. Since going i to prozi i have 2 air pumps and stores going in the tank. I am at work and will get more pics when i get home
Jay Hemdal. Below short video of part of the fresh water dip seemed to have quit a bit of flukes floating around as you will see.

I will get more pics when i get home from work. Thank for the response so far

OP
OP
Gman6766

Gman6766

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason not letting me like pics on here. I am pretty sure flukes. Today after 3 days in prozi and a 35 min formalin and back in to fresh tank he is back to eating. Hopefully keeps it up we will finish 6 more days i. Prozi ttm every 3 days with formalin bath. Then back to start the clock over on copper ttm. Thanks for the replies will check back in with updates

OP
OP
Gman6766

Gman6766

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hows the gem doing?
The Gem is doing fantastic. He made it all the way through qt. Had started back at day one of qt when he started eating and made it through prozi treatment. I'm doing hybrid TTM so he went to copper with formalin bath every 3 days on tank transfer day. He is now in my 240 gallon and real thick and healthy eating like a pig

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back