General coral needs

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've had my 10 gallon for about a month now and my pair of clowns look okay so I want to add corals to encourage them to hopefully explore more of the tank since they still like the right side of the tank a lot more. I've heard mixed opinions on torches and hammer which I'm interested in but I don't have a wave maker. Would a hygger mini wave maker be okay for a 10 gallon it's not a cube it's a rectangle one about 20" long and I have a fluval sea marine 3.0 light is that okay or should I get a different one?

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've had my 10 gallon for about a month now and my pair of clowns look okay so I want to add corals to encourage them to hopefully explore more of the tank since they still like the right side of the tank a lot more. I've heard mixed opinions on torches and hammer which I'm interested in but I don't have a wave maker. Would a hygger mini wave maker be okay for a 10 gallon it's not a cube it's a rectangle one about 20" long and I have a fluval sea marine 3.0 light is that okay or should I get a different one?
Mine is the same way but it hides behind the overflow it's been a few years, they dont utilize allot of the tank..

I'm not familiar with the lighting

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is the same way but it hides behind the overflow it's been a few years, they dont utilize allot of the tank..

I'm not familiar with the lighting
It's on Amazon a few people have said it's not appropriate lighting so I'm just wondering what other people thoughts were

dcsorrell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Re: the Fluval nano light - how tall is your tank? If no more than a foot tall, it will likely be fine unless you're planning to add corals that need high intensity lighting. Softies and LPS should be okay.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do your research on any coral you're considering and find out what it needs, before you put it in your tank.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's on Amazon a few people have said it's not appropriate lighting so I'm just wondering what other people thoughts were
I can't say for that particular light and tank, but my systems I put more lights than needed and then adjust the intensity down, I can say for that set up because I've never had it.

If your worried about light why not make plans to upgrade the light to a controllable led, and you could adjust the brightness down, I like the A.I prime 16hd it has beautiful colors and would make you colors POP, but it would be very intense for a 10g and need to be turned down.

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say for that particular light and tank, but my systems I put more lights than needed and then adjust the intensity down, I can say for that set up because I've never had it.

If your worried about light why not make plans to upgrade the light to a controllable led, and you could adjust the brightness down, I like the A.I prime 16hd it has beautiful colors and would make you colors POP, but it would be very intense for a 10g and need to be turned down.
Thanks for the recommendation and my current light is controllable I just get a few comments saying long run they might not be strong enough for corals that need stronger intensity light is there any other light you can recommend? Or a certain brand budget friendly if possible hat would be great thanks

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Re: the Fluval nano light - how tall is your tank? If no more than a foot tall, it will likely be fine unless you're planning to add corals that need high intensity lighting. Softies and LPS should be okay.
Yeah it's less than a foot but I'm planning on taking advantage of this Black Friday and buy a better light. Is there a light you can recommend? (budget friendly haha) for some sps as i get more experience I want to get a good light right now so I don't have to upgrade later for corals that need stronger light if you know what I mean thanks

dcsorrell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's less than a foot but I'm planning on taking advantage of this Black Friday and buy a better light. Is there a light you can recommend? (budget friendly haha) for some sps as i get more experience I want to get a good light right now so I don't have to upgrade later for corals that need stronger light if you know what I mean thanks
How long is your tank? If it's at least 18" you could look at other choices by Fluval. Any of the other choices I would trust would cost about twice as much. For instnace, an AI Prime.

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long is your tank? If it's at least 18" you could look at other choices by Fluval. Any of the other choices I would trust would cost about twice as much. For instnace, an AI Prime.
I could go with an ai I just didn't really want to do more than 350 ish on it since there's still a wave maker I'm struggling to find. Would placing a rock in front of a wave maker kind of drown it out a bit? And also is it better to get the ai prime on Amazon or brs?

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could go with an ai I just didn't really want to do more than 350 ish on it since there's still a wave maker I'm struggling to find. Would placing a rock in front of a wave maker kind of drown it out a bit? And also is it better to get the ai prime on Amazon or brs?
It sounds like your not in desperate need of a light right now, black Friday cyber Monday is coming up and they do huge sales every year, im going to buy a large sump I suggest if you don't need it now and it can wait plan for the big purchases then and save up now.

But I do recommend to buy a better light than budget friendly and save the cost on other things, if growing coral they require a quality light for cell production and it is one main component in a reef aquarium, and should be at the top of the list IMO

dcsorrell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Placing a rock in front of your wave maker would redirect flow, but idk about reducing it.

Where to get the light: if you have access to an lfs that carries it, that would be first choice. If not, support a shop such as BRS, sure.

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like your not in desperate need of a light right now, black Friday cyber Monday is coming up and they do huge sales every year, im going to buy a large sump I suggest if you don't need it now and it can wait plan for the big purchases then and save up now.

But I do recommend to buy a better light than budget friendly and save the cost on other things, if growing coral they require a quality light for cell production and it is one main component in a reef aquarium, and should be at the top of the list IMO
That's exactly what I was thinking haha thanks for the recommendation I'll be sure to wait and get a good deal thanks

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get corals because you want to add coral, not because you want to coax the clowns out of the corner or end of the tank. I have a 4'x2' tank filled with corals and a huge bubble tip anemone, and my clowns only hang out in the corner by the return nozzle.

Clowns are weird.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 62.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back