Generators 2023: Do you have one, what's the wattage & what equipment will you run with it?

Do you rely on a generator to keep your reef aquarium running smoothly during power interruptions?

• YES

Votes: 81 57.9%
  • NO

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • NO, but I would like to have one in the future.

Votes: 42 30.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 11 7.9%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As dedicated reefkeepers, we understand the importance of preparedness when it comes to our saltwater reef aquariums. For those who use a generator for backup power during unforeseen outages, we'd love to hear about your experiences and insights!

If so, we're curious to know what size generator you use and which essential equipment you power with it. Whether it's keeping your circulation pumps, heaters, protein skimmers, or even lighting systems active, we're eager to learn about the setup you have in place.

Please answer the following:

1. Do you have a generator to keep your reef aquarium running during power interruptions?

2. What wattage is your generator and what equipment do you intend to run with it?

Screenshot 2023-07-31 at 09-40-54 portable generators - Google Search.png

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two. A Briggs and Stratton Generac 5500 and a Dewalt 7000.
The B&S powers the house thru a master transfer switch in case of power loss due to hurricane. I keep the Dewalt ready for backup.

ShoreReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a 6500kw generator during Superstorm Sandy that kept the essentials running in our small apartment at the time which included my freshwater tank. 2 houses later I've yet to need it again but do run it each summer to tune it up and make sure it's working properly heading into hurricane season. I contemplate a whole house generator but since the neighborhood hasn't seen a major power outage in over 10 years, it's hard to justify the money

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
In the way paranoid camp here

One monster 48k and an 8k backup for the “essentials” if ever the big guy stumbles. And I’ve got pull start in the garage if things really get dicey. Again. Paranoid

IMG_8085.jpeg
IMG_8086.jpeg

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 8750w Predator inverter generator from Harbor Freight. I had to use it twice in the last year.
Those in apartments, look into getting a boat battery and an inverter outlet if you can't have a generator.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

One monster 48k and an 8k backup for the “essentials” if ever the big guy stumbles. And I’ve got pull start in the garage if things really get dicey. Again. Paranoid

IMG_8085.jpeg
IMG_8086.jpeg

WOWee!

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_8085.jpeg
IMG_8086.jpeg
I know this is very off-topic, but how do you like your LP Smartside? I'm currently installing it on a garage build.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would like a home generator but for now I have the Honda EU 7000is that will run my whole house I just have to manually hit the Breakers.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_8085.jpeg
IMG_8086.jpeg
Being that paranoid is understandable for someone who has what you have at stake.
On my tank if my generator fails and I would lose everything it’s not too big of a deal start over. It would give me a reason to buy some battleboxes, lol.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've always had a portable generator. On the new house we will have a whole house generator. @Battlecorals now has me thinking overkill!! :p

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_8085.jpeg
IMG_8086.jpeg
Those are some massive generators haha

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I know this is very off-topic, but how do you like your LP Smartside? I'm currently installing it on a garage build.
dude its great I mean I did construction for 20+ years before I retired in about 2016 and we did lots of this stuff. The story I tell people it's about how my kids took a lot of our scraps, and made trails in the woods with it. to walk on, and such. it got snowed on and rained on for quite a few years, and remained almost relatively perfect if it was painted or primed, both sides.

pretty good stuff. Ultimately we loved working with way more so than concrete siding. Sorry for the digression

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've always had a portable generator. On the new house we will have a whole house generator. @Battlecorals now has me thinking overkill!! :p
Well, like I said, I am just the most paranoid guy. Anytime the they'd be a storm warning I would just go into a freaking panic practically, so if anything is kind of peace of mind,

But I just don't trust machines at all, to do what they're supposed to do when they're supposed to do it, so I always like the idea of having a redundant failsafe, and my generator situation was no different.:)

If you're on the fence, go for it. My 48K powers the entire house, roughly 300 amps, including two air conditioners, my shop with all the lights on, including halides every pump, and a hot tub even! With a few kilowatts to spare lol.

As far as I'm concerned there's no such thing as overkill when it comes to stuff like this my good man

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back