Generators 2023: Do you have one, what's the wattage & what equipment will you run with it?

Do you rely on a generator to keep your reef aquarium running smoothly during power interruptions?

• YES

Votes: 81 57.9%
  • NO

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • NO, but I would like to have one in the future.

Votes: 42 30.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 11 7.9%

• Total voters
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, like I said, I am just the most paranoid guy. Anytime the they'd be a storm warning I would just go into a freaking panic practically, so if anything is kind of peace of mind,

But I just don't trust machines at all, to do what they're supposed to do when they're supposed to do it, so I always like the idea of having a redundant failsafe, and my generator situation was no different.:)

If you're on the fence, go for it. My 48K powers the entire house, roughly 300 amps, including two air conditioners, my shop with all the lights on, including halides every pump, and a hot tub even! With a few kilowatts to spare lol.

As far as I'm concerned there's no such thing as overkill when it comes to stuff like this my good man

How often do you test the system?

Rockit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this a couple years ago on an open box deal for under $300.
It will run (tested) my refrigerator, all my aquariums and charge all our cell phone/tablets/laptops. If I don't need the power to run all the heaters or lights in the tanks I can run my 2nd fridge and shop microwave too. It takes me 5 minutes to run power cords around the house and fire the thing up.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
How often do you test the system?
Both units run every week for about 20 minutes. But, every so often I do an outage drill and throw the breaker. So they fire up as they would. Once a year maybe.

Heathd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a generac 7500 peak portable. Used it during the great freeze and the limiting factor was heater size. 48 hours of no power was just too much for a 300w heater in a very cold house. Everything died regardless.

Anyways, its been reliable. Obnoxiously loud though.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in a hurricane prone area; torn between $10K for a Generac, spending $6K for a Solar/batt top of shed solar array OR just going to Harbor Freight and grabbing 2 or 3 dual power portable units…
Thinking the latter as they would be more useful during Zombie Apocalypse scenarios and cheaper…moreover the versatility of propane and gasoline is appealing from a fuel storage/end of world point/doomsday prepper point of view

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 3 fairly large capacity UPSs that are for short term outages and they run all the essentials. If it's going to be hours, then I have 2 Champion dual fuel portables that are 2600 watts each. They can run all of my tank equipment for both tanks no problem as long as I can provide propane tanks.

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coleman 4000. Nothing fancy just enough in case.
It'll run the fridge too.
Most of my stuff is DC now due to noise. (I seem to have no tolerance for noise in my old age don't know where that came from.)
Noticed way less draw on the generator so able to power more stuff.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As dedicated reefkeepers, we understand the importance of preparedness when it comes to our saltwater reef aquariums. For those who use a generator for backup power during unforeseen outages, we'd love to hear about your experiences and insights!

If so, we're curious to know what size generator you use and which essential equipment you power with it. Whether it's keeping your circulation pumps, heaters, protein skimmers, or even lighting systems active, we're eager to learn about the setup you have in place.

Please answer the following:

1. Do you have a generator to keep your reef aquarium running during power interruptions?

2. What wattage is your generator and what equipment do you intend to run with it?

Screenshot 2023-07-31 at 09-40-54 portable generators - Google Search.png
After what just happened to me Im investing in one

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live on Hatteras island, hurricane alley. I just installed a 14kw whole house generac, at least partially due to the aquariums. Propane powered with enough fuel on hand for 2 weeks.

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Both units run every week for about 20 minutes. But, every so often I do an outage drill and throw the breaker. So they fire up as they would. Once a year maybe.
I really want a whole house generator but I’m on propane. The propane company has not been helpful getting me info on what size tank I’d need.

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I live on Hatteras island, hurricane alley. I just installed a 14kw whole house generac, at least partially due to the aquariums. Propane powered with enough fuel on hand for 2 weeks.
How many gallons of propane is your tank? I’m looking for more info on doing exactly what you have.

LightingBug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a whole home LP Kohler 22.5k that should run the full house normally for 2-3 weeks with 500lp underground.

on Prime day I picked up one of these.
It was the deal of the day and had $1000 savings.
Specific for my small tank setups.

Double redundancy doesn't hurt.

I have it plugged into the A/C outlet and also have the 2 solar panels run outside. If you live in a condo or townhouse this would be perfect - no gas, soler, no noise, etc. @littlefoxx This could have saved your tank (many sympathies) by keeping critical equipment on until you noticed it.

The idea is if my normal power goes down the ATSwould transfer service to the genset. If somehow the generator has a problem or runs out of LP (unlikely, but the likelyhood of getting killed by an anvil falling out of the sky is low, but not zero) this would take over and be fully charged and recharging with the solar.

Solar recharge was about 6-ish hours for me on a sunny day.

It would run my setup for several hours with everything in use. Less if the chiller or heater arent needed.
How many gallons of propane?
In my case we have 500 gallons underground and a 200A service and the calcs said ~ 2+ weeks full on.
Search for gererator sizing calculator.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many gallons of propane is your tank? I’m looking for more info on doing exactly what you have.
It's a 300 gallon tank. Regulations only allow 80% fill, so 240 gallons. I went with 14Kw instead of larger because it uses less fuel per hour. Automatic switch over with load shedding for the two AC units to prevent overload.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20K Kohler that runs everything (well, except for the house AC). 6500 watt portable in the event the big guy runs out of propane. No utility gas supply chez moi, just three 100 gallon tanks.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My CAT RP5500 will run entire tank, fridge, central air conditioning, tv, lights, well pump and neighbors fridge at same time. Doesn't seem to like the stove or water heater. Ran it for 12 days straight, running refuel, after hurricane Ian.

Attachments

• 20230731_195454.jpg
    20230731_195454.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 20

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have an 18kw Generac that runs off propane. It has load sharing relays so we can run the whole house, including the hot tub (grin). We lost power for four days, just last week and for seven days back in March. I bought this after losing power over 20 times in 6 months....

I also have a 4500w Westinghouse inverter for our camper.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back