Generators 2023: Do you have one, what's the wattage & what equipment will you run with it?

Do you rely on a generator to keep your reef aquarium running smoothly during power interruptions?

• YES

Votes: 81 57.9%
  • NO

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • NO, but I would like to have one in the future.

Votes: 42 30.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 11 7.9%

• Total voters

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For most people looking to run their tank, and maybe fridge,fans,tv and lights. I suggest a Honda inverter generator. Clean output for sensitive devices, like all the pumps, controllers, etc that operate our tanks

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For most people looking to run their tank, and maybe fridge,fans,tv and lights. I suggest a Honda inverter generator. Clean output for sensitive devices, like all the pumps, controllers, etc that operate our tanks
my boss let me borrow his, that saved my 400g tank, during a week power out. ran fridge, fans, aquarium return pump, and flow pumps and most important to my wife; coffee maker in the morning, lol. ran for 10hours before refueling

since then i got generator from costco, i forgot what it is, but its 7500 running watts. haven't tried it yet. but hopefully it will pull my a/c unit.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my boss let me borrow his, that saved my 400g tank, during a week power out. ran fridge, fans, aquarium return pump, and flow pumps and most important to my wife; coffee maker in the morning, lol. ran for 10hours before refueling

since then i got generator from costco, i forgot what it is, but its 7500 running watts. haven't tried it yet. but hopefully it will pull my a/c unit.
Get the transfer switch installed prior to needing it.. can't run a/c on a makeshift connection.

hrogi-salty-guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the way paranoid camp here

One monster 48k and an 8k backup for the “essentials” if ever the big guy stumbles. And I’ve got pull start in the garage if things really get dicey. Again. Paranoid

IMG_8085.jpeg
IMG_8086.jpeg
I am just jealous. That’s all. No hate here.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found this out, In California you will not be able to buy a generator next year. They have outlawed new sales of (small offroad engines) that includes lawn mowers, leaf blowers, generators, etc. I can't fathom how stupid this is, or will be during the next disaster. Whether it be earthquake, fire or flood. I mean I am all for zero emissions, but we are not there yet with technology and there is no such thing as zero emissions.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just found this out, In California you will not be able to buy a generator next year. They have outlawed new sales of (small offroad engines) that includes lawn mowers, leaf blowers, generators, etc. I can't fathom how stupid this is, or will be during the next disaster. Whether it be earthquake, fire or flood. I mean I am all for zero emissions, but we are not there yet with technology and there is no such thing as zero emissions.

There are quite a few battery operated Power Stations, which make no noise or create emissions...........they aren't cheap but are portable and can be recharged quite easily with a car, portable solar panel or if the blackout is local you can recharge off a regular outlet at a friends house.

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course I have a generator because I am a construction electrician. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: I also live on Long Island so our power goes out often. It's about a 5,000 watt portable one and I sometimes lend it to people in blackouts or bring it to beach parties. It runs my entire house (except for the AC which I don't need in a disaster)

It is portable so I have to manually start it and plug it in but in the 6 or 7 times I used it, it has never been a problem. I modified it to run on regular gas and house gas but here in my new condo they won't let me install a built in unit or run a gas pipe to it. but that has never been a problem.

I test it every 6 months and every year I siphon out the gas and put it in my car, then re fill it.

During Sandy I couldn't get gas anywhere on Long Island and that was before I had it hooked up to house gas so I had to go to the marina and suck it out of my boat which carried 100 gallons of gas. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Last edited:

UtahReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a 24K Generac that powers the entire house. If the power goes out it off for only 20 seconds then the generator kicks in.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a backup battery on my gyres that automatically kicks in. I let it do the work for short power outages. I have a Genmax 9000 watt inverter that connects to the house. I have to manually flip a breaker but I can run what I need. I have portable ac to keep the main areas cool and gas logs if I need heat. It’s connected to a 250 watt propane tank.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Generac that I believe has 6-8kW max output. It's loud and I wish I had waited for a hybrid propane or something quieter, but it does well and I bought it during a period of heavy storms and power line upgrades a few years ago so there were slim pickings at the time.

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the great snow storm hit Texas a few years ago I had a 600 watt propane Invertor generator that powered my return pump, heater, and TV. My large fire place stayed lit 24 hours a day. Today I have a portable 9500 watt 120-240v invertor generator and a manual transfer system to run my aquarium, lights and heat pump / AC.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have 20 kw diesel whole house and , 5500 watt gasoline for the reef and 7500 watt propane for the lagoon. Most importantly we keep 400 gallons of diesel, 100 gasoline and have a huge propane tank that we don’t run all the way down before refilling

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a battery backup that can run for 24 hours(minus the heaters) and a generator that can run almost the whole house. That needs to be pulled out and filled with gas.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are quite a few battery operated Power Stations, which make no noise or create emissions...........they aren't cheap but are portable and can be recharged quite easily with a car, portable solar panel or if the blackout is local you can recharge off a regular outlet at a friends house.
Sure till you lose battery than you need the generator to charge it back up. Our home solar has a 20 k generator that keeps our battery’s full despite the weather lol. California wants green at a
costs even thought the best solution is a hybrid

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 140 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back