Getting a Fairy to Eat...Again

revaltion131

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody. I'll keep the backstory as short and sweet as possible. The fish in question is a male Pyle's Fairy. I believe him to be of the Vanuatu variety based on coloration, if his location of origin matters.

1.) Fish was at the LFS for four weeks, eating well and besides being pale, looking good for all of it.
2.) Fish was brought home, FW dipped, then introduced into the DT.
3.) He did the normal fairy thing of being shy for the first few days...until it lasted two weeks and just got stranger and stranger.
4.) I wanted to QT and get the fish eating well again, then he jumped into the overflow and made catching him easy.
5.) After watching him in QT for a couple of days, he didn't really eat and showed signs of gill flukes, so I did another FW dip.
6.) For the first 24 hours, he looked like he was not going to make it, then suddenly looked fine again.
7.) Now, he looks healthier and swims around with purpose, but he is thinning and I can barely get him to eat more than two or three live brine in a day. The second dip and intro into QT were about two weeks ago and during the time, he's only eaten two pieces of prepared food that I've been able to see.

So, the fish seems healthy in general, but isn't eating. Obviously, that gets us absolutely nowhere. I already soak my food in garlic and Vita-chem. The frozen is a mix of copepods, mysis, and SF Bay's Angel and Butterfly formula, and the live is your generic live brine shrimp. I have gut-loaded them and treated them with Vita-chem. I have also tried Formula 2 flakes and pellets, as well as Formula 1 pellets. The only thing I haven't tried is a nori sheet, which I think I will now because the previous male Pyle's I had ate it quite well.

I'm tempted to reintroduce him to the display to see if he improves. Maybe he'll manage to eat pods, be more relaxed, or just pick up on the monkey-see, monkey-do thing. I have two concerns with that and they are that all four fish in the tank currently are properly aggressive feeders and two, if he dies, it means moving tons of rock to get him out because my CUC isn't efficient with dead fish.

The tank is a generic 65 RR AGA. It has ~87 lbs of LR and 75 lbs of LS in the display, more in the refugium. I have a Tunze 9010 skimmer, 150w MH pendant, Eheim 1262 for a return, and a Koralia 2 and 4 for flow in the tank.

What are your thoughts? What would you do if you were in this situation? If you have any questions, feel free to shoot them at me. As much of a book as this post is, I still left out a few minor things to keep it down-to-size.

Thanks so much!

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What live foods have you tried? Find a couple of different varieties of live food and start slipping in some cyclopeez or something along those lines. Piscene packages a mysis food (frozen) that everyone seems to love.

OP
OP
revaltion131

revaltion131

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm only able to access brine unless I want to try crickets for live food around here. Is Piscene a food brand?

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
piscene energetics or better known as PE
their mysis seems a lot larger than any other mysis ive ever seen

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several have live pods, too. DT's has a new live copepod product our LFS is now selling, and Reef Nutrition has Tigger Pods. Everything I've seen presented with the PE mysis ate them with extreme prejudice;).

OP
OP
revaltion131

revaltion131

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I'll have to try that mysis. I have some cocktail shrimp already cooked and on hand. I should be able to just chop up a couple and be good to feed that to the fish, right? They're one of the packages on a round black plate with a thing of cocktail sauce. Is this okay, or do I need to get uncooked?
I think he might finally be coming around. I put in a bit of frozen this morning, fed the tank in that room as well, then left and came back about fifteen minutes later. I don't seem to see any chunks of mysis on the bottom of the tank. This guy's been a huge struggle and I'll be so relieved if he actually is eating.

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree on the PE Mysis, I have also had GREAT results with ArctiPods, and Cyclop Eeze.

I question the fresh water dip though, I have read where that treatment is less effective them people think, and there are much more effective treatments that are less stressful on the fish. Here is a collection of stickies on another forum that will keep you busy for hours!

Good luck getting the fish to eat, I hope it works out well.

detguy123

I'm a pain in the wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree on the PE Mysis, I have also had GREAT results with ArctiPods, and Cyclop Eeze.

I question the fresh water dip though, I have read where that treatment is less effective them people think, and there are much more effective treatments that are less stressful on the fish. Here is a collection of stickies on another forum that will keep you busy for hours!

Good luck getting the fish to eat, I hope it works out well.

i agree with the fresh water dip..it is not that effective..and i would try pe mysis...that was the main food i feed all my fairys and they stayed fat..also alot fairys are known to get internal parisites that keep them from eating as well...i have lost a few battles with that..i hope all is well for youe fish it is a very nice looking pylei..please keep us updated

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to treat for internal parasites it is possible in QT although time consuming. That would be the only other idea I would have for you.

OP
OP
revaltion131

revaltion131

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will definitly have to check out that website. I'm not big on FW dipping for anything either, but not counting the first 12-24 hours after it, the fish's behavior is like night and day. Right now he's not a very good-looking Pyle's, but he has a partner waiting in the DT to make him one if I can get him back there. He's got potential and if he makes it out of this, he will hopefully look as good as my previous one did. I lost the former in a surfing accident.

Is there a treatment or medication you guys would suggest to try on the fish?

Here are a few pictures. Hiding behind/in the bubbles is his place, if you can't tell.

05100901-1.jpg

05100902-1.jpg

05100903.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
revaltion131

revaltion131

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to thank you all for your help and update on the fish. I had him eating again and reintroduced him to the main tank. He hid for the first day, and ended up passing last night. I hate to lose a fish, but after having him "in limbo" for so long, it's a bit of a relief.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For future reference, a FW dip will only stun flukes, and they might fall off (key word being might)... it does not kill them (at least, during the short dip a fish could handle).

Prazipro is great :D

Sorry for your loss, that stinks... put a top on so you don't have any more "carpet surfers" either ;)

OP
OP
revaltion131

revaltion131

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I came up with more stable tops since I lost my first Pyle's last summer. Happily haven't had any actually get out of the tank since. They can jump into the overflow, but everything but my Neon Gobies are easy to fish out of there. Two neons are living permanently back there now. I have fished both out three times each, gave up the fourth as it took an hour per fish each time. :canny:

Thank you for the info on the flukes. I was under the wrong impressions with the dip and I am going to have to add Prazipro to my permanent fishy pharmacy.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back