Getting back in after 9 years

Victor_C3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m recently stepping hack into things after about ten years for a similar reason myself.

My ex-wife never poisoned my tank, but she was (and still is) a nasty and vindictive person. We had a blast and got along just fine for the first four years of our marriage, but she totally changed and became mean and abusive towards me and our kids. Fortunately for me, she decided to leave me in order to pursue a relationship for an old high school crush of hers.

After the divorce, I find I have a lot more time and money and I’m finally setting up a smaller version of my dream tank. Life is so much better without a nasty spouse.

As far as advancements in the hobby, things really haven’t changed too much. Lighting has changed a bit, but not as much as I would have hoped. Many people still use T5 fixtures -including me.

OP
OP
S

Shunopoli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all welcome!

1. I typically either ran two small ones or have a spare on hand. That’s given having an Apex with alarms/shut offs. You can find a ton of ways on the site here.

2. You can never have to much :)

3. My older system was a 90 tot gallon and the ROBuddy 50 gal was enough. I did add the BRS dual mixed bed as I was tired of changing the small mix bed you can buy for the RO Buddy.

4. I’m a fan of Reef Octopus. Good luck on two units both reliability and performance.
Thanks for the information. I am already loving this forum. It appears my local forum is not very vocal anymore.

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the information. I am already loving this forum. It appears my local forum is not very vocal anymore.

For RODI one of the best investments to maximize the smaller RO unit and make sure I had enough.

1. 30ish gallon Brute can
2. XP Aqua flood guardian
3. Kasa smart outlet (set to trigger flood guardian 2 days a week to refill Brute and limit TDS creep)
4. Extra float switch

OP
OP
S

Shunopoli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For RODI one of the best investments to maximize the smaller RO unit and make sure I had enough.

1. 30ish gallon Brute can
2. XP Aqua flood guardian
3. Kasa smart outlet (set to trigger flood guardian 2 days a week to refill Brute and limit TDS creep)
4. Extra float switch
So you go the RO buddie? I was actually looking at this cause it's affordable, but I don't want to regret getting a small one. Is it true though I read that you will actually only get about 15GPD as the rest is wast water. Or does the actual meaning when they say 50GPD unit produces 50GPD of 0 TDS water.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
no,get real unit most likely need booster pump to atain gpd rating

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
welcomeback4.jpg

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you go the RO buddie? I was actually looking at this cause it's affordable, but I don't want to regret getting a small one. Is it true though I read that you will actually only get about 15GPD as the rest is wast water. Or does the actual meaning when they say 50GPD unit produces 50GPD of 0 TDS water.

As mentioned you will need a booster pump for a good rejection ratio. I was probably getting closer to 1:3-4 with 60 psi and maybe 20-30 gpd. I don’t think any unit will provide 0 TDS out of the membrane.

I did the calculation and water is cheap compared to a booster pump in my area. It was a 5-7 year payback.

OP
OP
S

Shunopoli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I probably won't get and RO right away( still debating this). I can get RO/DI from my LFS for .50C a gallon and that is not bad. I was thinking of just doing this to cycle my tank. Granted I will have to buy the 5 gallon jugs at 11 dollars, but that would be a one time cost and it's always good to have the jugs around just in case. I have a feeling once I get tired of moving the jugs back in forth from my LFS I will buy one.

OP
OP
S

Shunopoli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had experience with this one?

OP
OP
S

Shunopoli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m recently stepping hack into things after about ten years for a similar reason myself.

My ex-wife never poisoned my tank, but she was (and still is) a nasty and vindictive person. We had a blast and got along just fine for the first four years of our marriage, but she totally changed and became mean and abusive towards me and our kids. Fortunately for me, she decided to leave me in order to pursue a relationship for an old high school crush of hers.

After the divorce, I find I have a lot more time and money and I’m finally setting up a smaller version of my dream tank. Life is so much better without a nasty spouse.

As far as advancements in the hobby, things really haven’t changed too much. Lighting has changed a bit, but not as much as I would have hoped. Many people still use T5 fixtures -including me.

Wow, This is almost the exact thing that happened to me she left( cheated) with her highschool crush. It was a nasty divorce and luckily we didn't have any kids involved. I am a better person cause of it and I don't have her holding me back( witch could be a bad thing in this hobby lol)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back