Getting back in - Internal Overflow options?

reef_ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there! So after close to a 10 year break, I’m jumping back into the hobby. I’ve got all my desired equipped on the way....... except the overflow. Super bummed to see that glass-holes went out of business. Was hoping to go through them again. It seems for internal overflows, the options are slim. There’s fijicube and eshopps, but those seem way more pricey than glass-holes was. Maybe I’m just out of touch, but are there other options than Fiji or eshopps? Not doing the siphon overflows, I’m solid and firm on drilling.
Edit - maybe ten years is over stating it, more like 5 or 6 :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
reef_ninja

reef_ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Im going with the Fiji Cube overflow. I read online that some folks had issues with the waterline sitting too low though, so I reached out to Fiji Cube for clarification first.

U

User1

View Badges
What sort of tank are we talking about? Custom, semi custom, pre-built? Simplest solution is to go coast to coast overflow which is what everyone copied anyway. You can make internal or external box if you want. Or instead of a box do a 45 degree angel piece of glass or acrylic (depending on what your tank is made out of) and do it that way and save a bit of space compared to the box.

Search on coast to coast overflows for pictures. Smooth weir is better anyway for surface skimming and optimized flow. Teeth are not. Holes can be 1 or 1 1/2 inch and use a Bean Animal overflow. Will have flow capacity for any type of tank you want.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think prices have gone up since you got out. I had the Eshopps on my last tank and had issues with the water level as you stated. This is common in the lower cost overflows like Eshopps, Fiji Cube, and Marine Depot Elite. The problem is that the external box sits much lower than the internal causing the water level to be lower.

On my current system I went with an Exotic Marine Systems overflow. Their overflows have the internal and external boxes at the same height. Modular marine also has this same feature. You definitely pay a little more, but it is well worth it IMO.

OP
OP
reef_ninja

reef_ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a 40breeder, I suppose I could have started with that. I've the to CtC and other designs, maybe Ill still consider them, I'd just prefer something to drill and be done with.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had te Eshopps on my 40B and had to cover a portion of the teeth with an acrylic sheet to keep the water above the trim. I suggest this overflow. It is more expensive, but is also higher quality, has the boxes at the same height, has a smooth weir with no teeth, and gives you a coast to coast with just enough room for a return on one end.

U

User1

View Badges
Its a 40breeder, I suppose I could have started with that. I've the to CtC and other designs, maybe Ill still consider them, I'd just prefer something to drill and be done with.

40 breeder is a great tank. The coast to coast would be perfect and not take up too much room. I'm not sure I understand drilling part. Oh, you mean just drill and attach a pre-made off the shelf overflow box. Got it. This would more or less be the same but you would have to get the glass cut and silicon it in place yourself. So a bit of DIY. If that isn't your thing, and I fully respect that, then yeah - you are limited.

I'm a bit biased and prefer the security of the Bean Animal designs but here are two examples that may help. One is a bit more pricy.

OP
OP
reef_ninja

reef_ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really digging this headache, which I'm bringing on myself because Im trying to be cheap. I think Im going with this and calling it good:

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really digging this headache, which I'm bringing on myself because Im trying to be cheap. I think Im going with this and calling it good:

A solid choice. MM makes some good overflows and they are used by many.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only advice I would give would be to upgrade to 1" bulkheads for the drains. I have never known anyone to use 1/2". That seems very small to me. Maybe someone else will chime in with their opinion as well.

OP
OP
reef_ninja

reef_ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I noticed that too, but Im good with it, the flow is gonna be close to half the 800 gph cap (probably around 500 ish). Thanks for the input guys, really appreciate it. Once things start moving maybe Ill post some build updates :)

OP
OP
reef_ninja

reef_ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured I'd post an update here to put some closure into the thread.

Went with the Modular Marine 800 gph overall. Its a really nice box and overflow, and I really like how slim and small the weir is, but for the price, I'm not impressed at all with how annoying it was to plumb the external drain box.

For the 3 drains in the external box, 2 of the 3 holes are drilled right where the bulkhead washer ends up sticking out. So even after cutting off the excess bulkhead, the washer still gets in the way. This made it to where I originally couldn't get the durso pipe high enough, which caused a low waterline in the box, which then caused a very annoying running-water noise. I had to take the whole thing apart and get creative with the durso pipe to go around one of the bulkheads and raise the waterline. However, with the modifications, it's SUPER quiet. So it ended well atleast.

And because we all like pictures, here we are since the start of this thread :)

unnamed.jpg

Now onto getting that live rock in there!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%
Back