Getting my Divers License

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys I thought I would just ask for some advice on getting my Divers License. I am going in this Saturday for the course work and pool work. I unfortunately only have two days to study the manual. I have always wanted to dive but even more so when I decided that I am going to be majoring in marine biology. I figured it would be nice to e able to dive as I will probably want to be able to do this. Also for personal enjoyment as I love to snorkel but I really cannot get too deep or I run out of breath. I am currently reading the PADI manual in preparation for the quizzes and the exam. I unfortunately made my decision to take this class a little later than expected only giving me two days to study. i have been studying on and off this whole day and will spend the majority of the day studying tomorrow. This is one hobby I do not want to mess up as this could mean life or death uf I do not keep in mind all the things I have learned. I am just looking for some tips on scuba diving and stuff I should pay more attention too and also people who can help answer some of my questions if any arise. Thanks am excited to join the diving community lol.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a PADI certified diver too. Your entire training is only one weekend? Mine was over 6 weekends. Half a day in the pool and a couple hours in the class each weekend.

Are you doing this at a resort?

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will most likely dedicate class time to asking & answering the questions. There will be pool time & such so you will have time Read up all Ya can till then . You will be fine.

OP
OP
Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am doing it at dive shop Music City Dive shop. I am doing the referral class as this is just the classroom and pool work without the actual open water dives. I plan to do an open water dive on my vacation that is coming up. And yes this is just a one day class the classroom is from 10:45:1.00 then pool is 3 to 7. So it is basically a whole day. Yes the class time is used for the quizzes and exam as well as helping you understand what you got wrong and explanation of dive charts and such. And the pool time is quite some time so im sure I will learn everything I will need to during that period.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to be a wet blanket but there is not a chance in the world that’s enough time. You have to do your swimming qualification, then you need to learn to put the equipment together and how to take it apart. Learning how to set your buoyancy and getting your weights right can take an hour by itself for an entire class. Then there are all the entry types, learning how to recover and clear your mask, learning how to recover and clear your regulator. Emergency ascension processes. And on and on and on.

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to be a wet blanket but there is not a chance in the world that’s enough time. You have to do your swimming qualification, then you need to learn to put the equipment together and how to take it apart. Learning how to set your buoyancy and getting your weights right can take an hour by itself for an entire class. Then there are all the entry types, learning how to recover and clear your mask, learning how to recover and clear your regulator. Emergency ascension processes. And on and on and on.
Totally agree,
Do not do a crash course in diving. It can be very dangerous if you don’t fully understand what you are doing.
I have my PADI AOW cert and have seen what happens when you are not trained properly.

OP
OP
Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really don't see a longer course on the site. Im interested to see how long your guys classes were. 6 weekends seem a bit much for class work and pool time. The max I have seen anywhere in nashville is around 3 days where a whole day is dedicated to classwork as well as pool work than the others or free dives 4 of them split over 2 days. Im just not doing the free dives. And the class work is you take it home and review the information and when you come into the class they will go over the info and give the section quizzes. Once the review is done than the test will be administered. Then pool time where we will do the swimming qualifications, how to put equipment on and off as well as put it together and take it apart and so on. I am just really confused now on why the course around where I am are short and why you all are making the course you took take awhile and why I cannot find that type of course around here. Could class sizes play a part?

CalamityJen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got my C card from NAUI. Did the class work and quizzes at home, and 15 hours of pool work mastering skills. Then 5 OW dives for cert. Two days? Just for your safety I would take a longer class .

OP
OP
Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know I have to do open water dives. I plan to do those while i am on my vacation. I would take a longer class but cannot seem to find one that does not go past a couple days.

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I have to do open water dives. I plan to do those while i am on my vacation. I would take a longer class but cannot seem to find one that does not go past a couple days.

Most, if not all dive shops will structure their classes over a 5-7 week timeframe. Classes are usually one day/night per week...

OP
OP
Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
well I did nto know how the online course work wprked and O would rather have my courseowrk and pool work dpne locally.

OP
OP
Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Most, if not all dive shops will structure their classes over a 5-7 week timeframe. Classes are usually one day/night per week...

Did not know that. so im guessing each week was used for1 section of the manual as well as some pool work? You all now have me second guessing this company. As i thought this was normal for a couple day course for scuba was normal.

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main advice is just take your time and be calm. Diving is actually a really safe and easy hobby as long as you learn it right.

I've been certified for 17 years and think you can learn a lot/ enough in one day if you absorb a lot and study at home.

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did not know that. so im guessing each week was used for1 section of the manual as well as some pool work? You all now have me second guessing this company. As i thought this was normal for a couple day course for scuba was normal.

Absolutely not, that sounds like a resort crash course.
I’m not telling you what to do but concerned friends will offer advice.
I would do the longer classes if I were you..

OP
OP
Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My main advice is just take your time and be calm. Diving is actually a really safe and easy hobby as long as you learn it right.

I've been certified for 17 years and think you can learn a lot/ enough in one day if you absorb a lot and study at home.

I plan on studying as much as i can so i am prepared for when i do dive.

Absolutely not, that sounds like a resort crash course.
I’m not telling you what to do but concerned friends will offer advice.
I would do the longer classes if I were you..

I am going to continue with this course as planned. I Will be speaking to one of my dads friends who has been a PADI dive instructor for 10+ years just to make aure I know everything I need to know. I really appreciate the concern and I am glad I am getting this extra info. If there was a longer class I would take it but all i can fond are the classes that give you the material and have you come into the class to review it. I will not be putting myself into the open diving portion if I feel that I am not well equiped enought to keep myself as well as my partner safe. Thanks again I dont mean to come off stubborn if i am I am just really new to this.

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just learn as much as you can and if you aren’t comfortable ask more questions and get comfortable before you deflate your BC...
Enjoy Diving, it is really awesome..

OP
OP
Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just learn as much as you can and if you aren’t comfortable ask more questions and get comfortable before you deflate your BC...
Enjoy Diving, it is really awesome..

I will learn as much as possible. Dont worry I will for sure ask questions if I dont understand. Thankyou again! Am really excited.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back