Getting my hands wet again..

Tans Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been sometime since I’ve been on the reef forums.. I’ve had my tank up for 12 years now and over the last 6 to 7 of those years.. I hate to admit it but I’ve neglected my tanks. It wasn’t always like that for me.. starting out I enjoyed every chance I got to spend, watching it and catering to its every need.. I had gorgeous colonies of zoanthids in an array of colors.. and a mixed reef to match.. tanks that went from being beautiful to baron wastelands.. so in a nutshell.. I had three tanks setup along a wall in my house.. a 110g, a 75g and a 60 g.. all plumbed in together and running off the same sump system.. everything ran perfectly for a few years and I’m sure as your reading this by now your thinking “oh this guy definitely did something dumb”.. but you’d be wrong as I truthfully had no part in what would take place next.. so I was living in a home with a couple room mates and one day I got home from work seen one of the roomies in the driveway watching as one of his friends replaced his brakes.. our exchange was quick and I went inside for a shower.. came out.. seen the guy that had been working on the car.. hands full of grease.. in my main tank!!! I flipped out and yelled “ what are you thinking” (amongst other things) he responded..” I was trying to see if the clownfish would go hide in the anemone or if that was a lie.....” Well.. with the car grease/brake grease.. within hours I started watching Coral’s dying off.. and there wasn’t enough crazy water things I could do at that time so I watched my hard work wither away.. I became bitter and extremely depressed... took down the tanks but my 110 only because, somehow miraculously 12 fish survived and a carpet anemone.. oh and a pistol shrimp which I thought was nuts.. for the last couple years the fish have thrived with no water changes.. just merely adding top off.. two weeks ago I finally got out of my depression from what had happened.. and now I’ve decided to finish a project reef build I was working on.. I’ll post a build thread on that here within the next few days.. the 110 is down and the live stock has since been moved into a 150 gallon tub that I’ve turned into a lagoon for the time being.. it sucks that I took so long to bounce back.. but this time.. things will be way different.. I look forward to interacting with you all more! Thanks for reading! Stay tuned! -Tan

049C2344-6DFD-4E09-8943-1BCFB796EE5C.jpeg 3AA9E0A1-465B-477A-841E-5AEFC8AEE4FE.jpeg 1A633658-C974-4E4A-92CB-BC6664173792.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Welcome to the R2R community and we’re glad you joined us !!

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome back. I'm back with a reboot after 2 difficult years and losing almost all my stock in 2 tanks due to a nasty, strong primer paint used clear on other side of house. It's hard to see your beloved and beautiful tank die: a grieving process I'm sure and hard to put yourself back in the game as that opens you up for possible disappointments. But us humans for the most part are strong. Or maybe a few of us are just too stubborn to call it quits. Looking forward to seeing your new build. Might be easier than trying to reboot a messed up tank lol's.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi ,great time to jump back in

not but funny thing years ago when i worked on car took grease hand to river always landed huge flathead,4 other nights clean hands nothing,40 years large flathead hunter

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back