The bar tank!

Tans Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s finally going down.. my.. sorta dream build. I acquired a 120 gallon tank back in 2011. Complete with stand, canopy, sump and some radion gen 1’s. Got it home and decided.. I didn’t wanna use the stand.. or the lights.. or the sump lol.. I just for some odd reason absolutely love the footprint of a 120.. Something bothered me though.. I didn’t want to put another tank against a wall only being able to see it from the front or the sides... I wanted a peninsula!! Well we looked online for stands that would accommodate my transition of this tank and for the most part couldn’t find anything that screamed let’s get it! My buddy Brian is a carpenter by trade so he was game to try and make something happen! We tossed around ideas for weeks.. even months.. one day we were sitting down having a beer when it dawn on me.. jokingly I said “ hey man, what if we made a fish tank.. bar”? I immediately laughed.. but this guy had the vision of what would be in his eyes! He walked outside grabbed some paper and drew up a sketch.. without hesitation we shot out the next day to grab lumber and built a base... I started gathering equipment.. and branching off more and more ideas, when Brian suddenly got a promotion at work and we had to stop working on the stand for a while..
During this stretch of getting no where with the stand.. I went thru some crazy nonsense with my other setups being destroyed by some idiot. (rather not stretch into that again.. if you wanna know what happened check out my thread in the welcoming section)
That put me in a world of depression and I hated the site of the tanks.. hated the thought of it.. so the stand became a table or close rack or pretty much whatever we needed it for over the years.. my other tanks came down except for my 110 gallon which housed my remaining fish and carpet nem..
Fast forward to the beginning of this year..Brian got a promotion at work that led him to have some free time. He came home one day and I was talking about taking the 110 down.. I hadn’t changed the water in years.. I fed the fish.. cleaned the skimmer cup.. and topped it off.. that’s literally it.. so I just thought taking it down would be good to start the year.. Brian had other plans.. he told me he wanted to finish the BAR! I became overjoyed and the weird thing is.. it was like a fresh battery or a reset in my brain.. I immediately wanted this to happen.. I wanted my tank back.. I wanted my fish to be happy again..
Two weeks ago I tore the 110 down.
2F3D8C0F-A4AB-40C4-BE49-FF5CF4D41EE2.jpeg

yes..the glass was covered completely in algae.. I couldn’t see the fish but from a small spot where the mag float would move or I’d view from the top down.. horrible and yet my fish and carpet nem were still thriving!!! Now if your wondering what I did with the fish and inverts... I had a 150 gallon Rubbermaid tub chilling in the house and figured....... why not make a friggen lagoon and let my fish chill while we finish the bar!
03D3D154-7010-4FD4-935A-93477E110F73.png

Brian built a bracket to hold the light.. looks a bit sketchy but.. trust it’s not going anywhere!
66E81880-E89D-4C1C-A6FE-F8F87D4B6FE2.jpeg

OP
OP
Tans Reef

Tans Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as it stands we’re back on the grind building the bar and things are looking good!!
This is the light bracket before it was finished
62B6EC43-9E4B-4B03-A2D1-773D45C7D4E8.jpeg

Then the top of the bar was made.. I lost a lot of the pictures of everything early on.. I fish just as much as I do anything else and usually use my GoPro.. well I had mixed up some things and deleted almost every pic and video I’d ever taken.. soooo everything from here on out is unfortunately just the new new!
This is the top...
3D19DCD9-A747-4239-8B06-FED04299AD62.jpeg

OP
OP
Tans Reef

Tans Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the years I ended up gathering some oversized gear for this build but figured.. why not lol...
9DE71BDC-1C17-4119-8738-C32B63BDD079.jpeg

So this will be my skimmer and eventually reactor.. I’ll be running an 80 gallon sump that I customized.. they’ll also be a 35 gallon rimless frag tank piggybacked behind this one on the bar for any future frags.. when im brave enough to mess with corals again..

ClearwaterReeferNoob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look forward to seeing this project through. You can't stop now. You've teased the world with this amazing build. It must be completed. Best of luck! I'll be reading!

OP
OP
Tans Reef

Tans Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CBA789F1-E25A-4BED-9E61-B95D53F56E3C.jpeg

Qt set up for a couple fish I still wanna add.. figure the lagoon would be a lot easier for trial and error vs trying to chase fish in the tank once it’s up.

OP
OP
Tans Reef

Tans Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as I get closer to putting some water in this tank I’ve come up with a question I figured I’d toss to pick some brains.. so my current reef rock that’s in the tub is about 10-12 years old and well established.. I was going to put this rock down in the sump and then I’ve got new rock (currently dry) to add to the display when ready.. I’ll have some live rock in the back tank that’s hooked up to the display but I wanted fresh rock in the new tank.. my question is.. should I start cycling this dry rock or will it be sufficient to add being that I’ve already got a ton of rock that’ll be in the sump/piggybacked frag tank??
DDF1F0A8-9709-46DB-A49D-32A42D6D36B7.jpeg

We’ve also coated the back board for the bar!! Almost there!!!

OP
OP
Tans Reef

Tans Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started cycling my dry rock.
We completed the light bracket for the bar and got it all attached.. once I fill the tank and she’s running for a few weeks the doors will be applied!
DD22EB1E-68EF-482B-A2A0-18D60848DC0E.jpeg
3472F619-B7F0-4247-89DF-964C26CACB47.jpeg
C2C46C51-C8FE-4B58-AE8C-37598C91CF5E.jpeg
4798F7A5-59FA-4050-A515-B067C15727D2.jpeg

Few more weeks and some final touches before I fill it on up.
Contemplating leaving the lagoon tub up and running.. might use it as a mangrove tank!
EFA868FF-7030-4991-8132-05119C8E3E53.jpeg

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your canopy needs some stained glass with a beer logo. Liquor would be ok too.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 188 71.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back