Getting sick of manual testing

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use salifert tests for the basic 3 after a water change weekly. I'm getting very sick of relying on these is there any reliable digital testers for these basic ammonia nitrite and nitrate levels?

Hanna has the ammonia checker but it's for freshwater and I'm not sure if they can be used for salt (I assume they wouldn't specify if it did work on salt) I know they also have the nitrite one but can't find that in stock.

I'd be more interested in a nitrate and ammonia checker as nitrites seem to be the only thing I get the same reading for after 3 tests in a row (which I have done to test for differences)

Can anyone reccomend any good digital checkers that are trusted? I don't mind doing manuals once in a while to cross check. Just would rather not whip out the bottles and syringes weekly :/

OP
OP
Glass Algae

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hydrored is that a trusted item in the hobby or is it faulty? Also I'm coming up on a month cycled in the 7th. I checked ammonia recently during the change cause I added a shrimp and wanted to note if there was an excess of waste for whatever reason. I suppose I just redundancy test myself Lot. My occupants are a juvie clown and cleaner shrimp.

My salifert said I had a <. 15 reading which I was unsure why so this is what prompted my question.

@AZMSGT

Just started the phos tests. Am about to start testing everything else soon as the 7th of June I was going to order my first frag. Wanna make sure everything is on the up and up.

My worst fear reefing is failing due to a misread test.

DrufusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know of any "cost effective" digital tests for those parameters that are as efficient as manual test. But, as @AZMSGT and @Hydrored hinted at you might be over testing. What is your water volume? Typically once your tank settles in and your tests stop varying you really only need to test those prams once a month. Digital tests can be convenient, but they are expensive and have to be calibrated so they are not always reliable unless dropping some coin on them. You can probably save some money and get away with less testing if your prams are stable. If they are not stable lets look at what your routine is to get them, stable. :)

DrufusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know of any "cost effective" digital tests for those parameters that are as efficient as manual test. But, as @AZMSGT and @Hydrored hinted at you might be over testing. What is your water volume? Typically once your tank settles in and your tests stop varying you really only need to test those prams once a month. Digital tests can be convenient, but they are expensive and have to be calibrated so they are not always reliable unless dropping some coin on them. You can probably save some money and get away with less testing if your prams are stable. If they are not stable lets look at what your routine is to get them, stable. :)
Just a side note on "Over Testing". There's nothing wrong with that, but over testing can sometimes lead to over correcting. You are building an ecosystem that will eventually be able to take care of itself. At least for the most part. (at least in the prams your talking about)

Eldredge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Seneye Reef will constantly monitor the ammonia and keep a record of it along with pH if you don’t mind paying 10 or $11 a month for a slide. It will track temperature and function as a good Par meter even without the slides.

OP
OP
Glass Algae

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a Fluval 13. 5 so I'm a small tank rn. I will definitely admit I've stopped myself form over correcting even with small things like the heater and stuff.

I was under the impression I tested for all 3 of the basics and then added in phos mag cal and alk as I added inverts and coral.
Hell if I don't have to test for ammonia but once a month sign me up.
I suppose I over test to get a feel of what the reefs doing and to feel out the process of the tank. My parameters have been stable nitrates were up 3 to 10 even (nice dark color thru side view of salifert) but I had accidentally over fed earlier that day and nitrites were zero so I attribute it to that.

Seneye Reef will constantly monitor the ammonia and keep a record of it along with pH if you don’t mind paying 10 or $11 a month for a slide. It will track temperature and function as a good Par meter even without the slides.

Hey I already pay for a World of Warcraft subscription I love giving away my no ey every month... Unfortunatley. To be honest I just know that these regular tests aren't lab quality and if I had the option to get a lab test instantly I'd take it.

I blame my paranoia on my inexperience.

OP
OP
Glass Algae

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem has a product called ammonia alert. It's a little card that sits in the tank and changes color based on ammonia. It's only $6 on amazon right now and lasts a year IIRC. I always use it to cycle tanks.
I bought one of these and by the time I thought about adding it I realized I had so much stuff in my tank (accidentally got a big 100w Jager heater in my Fluval - _-) that I decided I'd just save it for when I cycle a new tank.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For testing woes, I spread mine out over the week. I'm more likely to do, and not be annoyed by one or two tests a day instead of the full list.

That being said though, if you're a month in and already tired of testing you're going to have a problem going forward. Testing is a fact of life with a reef tank, and only some very expensive gear will take care of for you.

OP
OP
Glass Algae

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goi g to check into reef it
For testing woes, I spread mine out over the week. I'm more likely to do, and not be annoyed by one or two tests a day instead of the full list.

That being said though, if you're a month in and already tired of testing you're going to have a problem going forward. Testing is a fact of life with a reef tank, and only some very expensive gear will take care of for you.

I have the ability to buy some spendy stuff. I don't mind the testing but as u said in a line it gets annoying and I'm nor elikley to do the text a next day.

At this point a month in I'm more upset I didn't just get a larger tank than the Fluval. I was intimidated my saltwater but now I wish I started bigger so I could justify buying an Apex.

I have fallen in love with reefing and work from home so I don't mind dumping money into something that brings me so much reward for my effort. Plus I'm a glassblower I'm used to dumping money into my hobbies

OP
OP
Glass Algae

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm moving across town to a house in October going for a nice big display tank when I get there! Then we're qting like a boss

gambler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the test strips for that cheap & easy but for calcium and phosphate and alk got to unless you want to blow money on a trident

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You test for ammonia and nitrite until your tank is cycled .... and then never again. Test for nitrate and phosphate every couple of months to gauge longer term nutrient balance. If you are keeping stony corals then alkalinity is really the only regular test required. Unless you are running something exotic like a sulfur reactor, when alk is right, calcium and magnesium usually are. Plenty of auto testers for alk if that proves too much for you lol.

OP
OP
Glass Algae

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ca1ore thank you for that info. I haven't heard that broken down so bite size before! I'd rather digitize everything I can as long as it's heavily peer tested and approved. I don't wanna play cheap trust games with water electricity and livestock.

OP
OP
Glass Algae

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@gambler honestly probably going to spend a wad on a trident when I get my bigger tank. I don't mind testing against the digital manually everyone in a while when the air strikes me or to test results.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ca1ore thank you for that info. I haven't heard that broken down so bite size before! I'd rather digitize everything I can as long as it's heavily peer tested and approved. I don't wanna play cheap trust games with water electricity and livestock.

I’ve been using trident for about a year now and been pretty happy with it. Testing + water changes = drudgery.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back