Getting worse before it gets better?

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have posted earlier threads of me fighting dinos, and I’m taking all the steps that I really can at the moment. Phosphates up, phyto, Uv, blackouts, h202, manual removal, and lastly silica. Here’s the problem, the dinos have moved from the sandbedbfurther up onto the rocks, and are colonizing dead gha. I’m taking all the right steps or so I believe, and all I’m getting is a lot of GHA, GFA, and diatoms, which are good competitors. I have nurtured competition, but the dinos are not receding at all, but quite the opposite. Does it get worse before it gets better? Does anyone have advice on what I can do to improve my regimen. My Dino species is prorocentrum. #reefsquad

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have posted earlier threads of me fighting dinos, and I’m taking all the steps that I really can at the moment. Phosphates up, phyto, Uv, blackouts, h202, manual removal, and lastly silica. Here’s the problem, the dinos have moved from the sandbedbfurther up onto the rocks, and are colonizing dead gha. I’m taking all the right steps or so I believe, and all I’m getting is a lot of GHA, GFA, and diatoms, which are good competitors. I have nurtured competition, but the dinos are not receding at all, but quite the opposite. Does it get worse before it gets better? Does anyone have advice on what I can do to improve my regimen. My Dino species is prorocentrum. #reefsquad

Unfortunately it often does get worse before improving, especially with amphidinium and prorocentrum. The only additional thing I can think of would be to add dosing pods. Unfortunately these types can and usually do turn in to a long battle.

Also, have you checked slides recently, especially of the newly affected areas? Often times amphidinium/prorocentrum can out compete other dinos (coolia/ostreopsis) and they will increase when the original strain declines. Just a thought.....make sure we don't have a new strain to fight.

OP
OP
A

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately it often does get worse before improving, especially with amphidinium and prorocentrum. The only additional thing I can think of would be to add dosing pods. Unfortunately these types can and usually do turn in to a long battle.

Also, have you checked slides recently, especially of the newly affected areas? Often times amphidinium/prorocentrum can out compete other dinos (coolia/ostreopsis) and they will increase when the original strain declines. Just a thought.....make sure we don't have a new strain to fight.

I last checked a week ago, but I’ll take a sample from the rocks at ID them today.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

It does go bad.
have look at my tank pictures at it’s worth. I had Amphidinium too. Took 6 months almost to get rid of them.
Try these too as competitors

OP
OP
A

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I took a sample from the rocks and confirmed that it is still prorocentrum. My guess is they are capitalizing on the added nutrients until a sufficient population of competitors can build up

takitaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try some Live Rock Enhance by Reef Brite. It's a microbial, won't hurt anything. My corals (LPS & SPS) seemed to actually enjoy it. Amazing stuff. The brown grunge is gone, Cyano is gone, dinos are gone. Coraline finally started to grow right after everything cleared up which was about 3 weeks later. (tank is a year old)

Back