Gfci outlet keeps tripping when i plug in my heater

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So during a power outage. I was running my heater and return pump on off a generator. When I go to plug everything back in this morning it was running fine. Came back a hour later power was off in the aquarium room. Thought it was a breaker in the box but turned out to be the gfci. I tried it three times whenever I plug in the inkbird it trips the gfci. Heres where it I get confused. I tried running it off a different circuit. Still trips the same gfci. Even though it on a different circuit. Is my heater to blame? Its a titanium 800w finnex. Im refreshing my basic understanding of a gfci right now. But thought I might get a quick answer on here.

Attached is a picture of why my power went out...

20220711_105813.jpg

OP
OP
Pico bam

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is the same is device tripping circuits as you move it from circuit to circuit, it's likely the device.
I guess I was just curious as to how it was tripping a circuit it wasn't on. Must be leaking voltage into the water and getting picked up somewhere thus tripping the circuit... one thing after another...

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I was just curious as to how it was tripping a circuit it wasn't on. Must be leaking voltage into the water and getting picked up somewhere thus tripping the circuit... one thing after another...
Are you sure it's a different circuit? Some houses have multiple outlets connected to the same GFI outlet.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time a gfci trips it gets a lil weaker. Do you have anything plugged into the gfci? when a gfci gets wired in you can put wires that go to other places in he house onto the load of that gfci so that anything downstream of the gfci is also protected by that gfci
2F9C02E4-3192-42C3-A72E-7C26BB621ED4.jpeg

So what I’m saying is it might be the same circuit even tho it’s not plugged directly into the gfci outlet

OP
OP
Pico bam

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay a bit of new information. I have the heater and inkbird completely unplugged it was not connected to anything as it trips the gfci. Got everything running again and I thought "you know what I'm going to stick my finger in the tank just for funnzy's" well it electrocuted me... and tripped the gfci. My next suspect is the skimmer pump as its electrocuted me in the past (slightly) and I also have a brand new spare for it. now I'm trying to get the guts to stick my finger in the tank again.
Fran Healy Reaction GIF by Travis

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay a bit of new information. I have the heater and inkbird completely unplugged it was not connected to anything as it trips the gfci. Got everything running again and I thought "you know what I'm going to stick my finger in the tank just for funnzy's" well it electrocuted me... and tripped the gfci. My next suspect is the skimmer pump as its electrocuted me in the past (slightly) and I also have a brand new spare for it. now I'm trying to get the guts to stick my finger in the tank again.
Fran Healy Reaction GIF by Travis
Im not a huge proponent of grounding probes... but might want to get one while you figure this out.

OP
OP
Pico bam

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time a gfci trips it gets a lil weaker. Do you have anything plugged into the gfci? when a gfci gets wired in you can put wires that go to other places in he house onto the load of that gfci so that anything downstream of the gfci is also protected by that gfci
2F9C02E4-3192-42C3-A72E-7C26BB621ED4.jpeg

So what I’m saying is it might be the same circuit even tho it’s not plugged directly into the gfci outlet
Yes I know I have 2 receptacles tied into the gfci, the gfci being in one of them. But I did try a different outlet on a different receptical on a different circut... and it tripped the gfci.

I'm attempting to use the correct terminology but I'm not proficient here...

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is you heater a titanium one? If so is is acting as a ground probe. If it has a ground on the plug.

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I know I have 2 receptacles tied into the gfci, the gfci being in one of them. But I did try a different outlet on a different receptical on a different circut... and it tripped the gfci.

I'm attempting to use the correct terminology but I'm not proficient here...
No offense but are you sure you're not sharing a neutral wire between the circuits?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stray voltage, gfci detects this better than you do except when you do and it does not trip. Good luck in isolating the source of leaking electricity and godspeed in getting this remedied before you die! :)

OP
OP
Pico bam

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stray voltage, gfci detects this better than you do except when you do and it does not trip. Good luck in isolating the source of leaking electricity and godspeed in getting this remedied before you die! :)
this made my day

Back