GFO, what is the lifespan

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long can GFO run before it is depleted? One month? two months? forever as long as the phosphates do not rise?

When do I know when the GFO is depleted?

Can one Run GFO to long besides stripping the phosphates out of the system?

How much do you run in your system?

It would be great to have this information available, and I would like to hear the pluses and minuses you have run into:)

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to BRS..."Change the media when phosphate levels rise or algae growth becomes visible (4-8 weeks)". They have a calculator to figure out how much to use too.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely dependent on the phosphate level in the water. Could be six months, could be one day.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there not any reactions to keep the gfo running at long length without changing?

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there not any reactions to keep the gfo running at long length without changing?

Not really. It will reach a point of equilibrium with the water and then it won’t absorb any more, even if it is not fully exhausted. If the level in the water goes up it will absorb more until equilibrium again. When it gets completely full obviously the level in the water will rise, so when you see that in testing you would switch it out, and maybe a bit earlier would be ideal next time. It does become a little biological filter as well in this time but compared to all the rock/sand/other media it is a drop in the bucket.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GFO can be depleted in minutes if phosphate and flow are high, or last a long time when low.

I expect that it gets a coataing of organics, bacteria, and other crap, and becomes unusable after a while. How long that is, I do not know, and certainly will vary, but I'd think a month and you've lost substantial capacity even if there is no phosphate in the water.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really. It will reach a point of equilibrium with the water and then it won’t absorb any more, even if it is not fully exhausted. If the level in the water goes up it will absorb more until equilibrium again. When it gets completely full obviously the level in the water will rise, so when you see that in testing you would switch it out, and maybe a bit earlier would be ideal next time. It does become a little biological filter as well in this time but compared to all the rock/sand/other media it is a drop in the bucket.

GFO can be depleted in minutes if phosphate and flow are high, or last a long time when low.

I expect that it gets a coataing of organics, bacteria, and other crap, and becomes unusable after a while. How long that is, I do not know, and certainly will vary, but I'd think a month and you've lost substantial capacity even if there is no phosphate in the water.

Great input and thank you

I was waiting on your thoughts @Randy Holmes-Farley:)

I have noticed when there is rust present in reef tanks that it takes a toll on corals, would this be true with GFO left to long or since the GFO is moving in a reactor this issue will not occur?

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for you input:)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great input and thank you

I was waiting on your thoughts @Randy Holmes-Farley:)

I have noticed when there is rust present in reef tanks that it takes a toll on corals, would this be true with GFO left to long or since the GFO is moving in a reactor this issue will not occur?

Rust meaning crumbles of GFO?

Not sure why that would be an issue unless the particulates are irritating them. Soluble iron dosing does not seem to irritate corals, even at levels well above what GFO could release.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rust meaning crumbles of GFO?

Not sure why that would be an issue unless the particulates are irritating them. Soluble iron dosing does not seem to irritate corals, even at levels well above what GFO could release.

I had a pump magnet wetside, the plastic cracked and began to rust. The corals started to look bad, some did not make it. Once I found the cracked magnet and replaced the magnet part of the wetside the coral came back and look much better.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pump magnet wetside, the plastic cracked and began to rust. The corals started to look bad, some did not make it. Once I found the cracked magnet and replaced the magnet part of the wetside the coral came back and look much better.

OK, definitely rusting metal is much more of a concern than GFO crumbles since the rusting metal may contain toxic ingredients in the allow (copper, nickel, etc.).

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, definitely rusting metal is much more of a concern than GFO crumbles since the rusting metal may contain toxic ingredients in the allow (copper, nickel, etc.).

Thank you sir, that is a great help to know:)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back