sgrosenb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jda small update here - I've been running GFO for a few weeks now and I've managed to slowly lower my phosphates from 0.1 to 0.03 via the readings on my ULR Phosphorus Hanna checker (declined form 25ppb to 7-10ppb). I'm thinking that might have been a bit fast, as I'm starting to see some SPS stress. In an effort to slow it down, I took the GFO completely offline for day or two and then went to test my phosphates and they were 55-60ppb! I was confused. I'm a novice but I'm thinking maybe that was the phosphate from rock, sand, etc getting released into the aquarium now that there was "space" for it after I stripped some out? Would be interested to get your take on that.

Since I saw the reading was so high, I started running my GFO reactor again but with less media (2 tablespoons instead of 4) and it was 15-16ppb this morning when I checked.

Any further guidance or thoughts you might have would be helpful. Thanks as always!

-Scott

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is likely the rock and sand unbinding. It takes a day or two. I have no idea why they were about 30 to begin and then 55-60 later - maybe a bad test on either side?

To make sure that the P has left the system, you have to wait a few days or a week and if you still test low in the water column, then your rock and sand have low reserves too.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back