GHL ION Director initial impressions

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reference solution if not open they say 1 year but could also be longer. The probe will notify you when it needs to be changed, but they are recommending to buy a new one when you receive the notification and not buy one ahead time and store it it will expire just like PH probe.
Hopefully this pandemic is going to be gone by then! And availability would be not an issue..

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man, if only this thing could test po4. I've been considering the Mastertronic... But this might change my direction. Focustronic sucks as a company and so does their distribution model. This literally tests everything except po4 with no reagent... Wow. I suppose I can manually test po4 until something more automatic comes out. What would I need besides the ION for testing purposes? The GHL 4-doser pump to run the tests? And I have an Alkatronic now, the product is solid buuuuut if I switch to GHL maybe the KH Director is better - I do not know much about KHD, does it function similarly to the Alkatronic? My questions come from the fact that I do not like dosing, I have a CaRx and would like to use that for my Ca/Mg.

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, if only this thing could test po4. I've been considering the Mastertronic... But this might change my direction. Focustronic sucks as a company and so does their distribution model. This literally tests everything except po4 with no reagent... Wow. I suppose I can manually test po4 until something more automatic comes out. What would I need besides the ION for testing purposes? The GHL 4-doser pump to run the tests? And I have an Alkatronic now, the product is solid buuuuut if I switch to GHL maybe the KH Director is better - I do not know much about KHD, does it function similarly to the Alkatronic? My questions come from the fact that I do not like dosing, I have a CaRx and would like to use that for my Ca/Mg.
A ION director and Stand-alone GHL doser is all you would need for testing.

The Alkatronic is very similar to the KHD from what I understand so it would be more of a consolidation convenience. The KHD does require its own GHL doser as well.

To automate control the CaRx, the Profilux controller is required. 2-part dosing control does not need a controller.

Colin_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think im going for the ion director with stand-alone doser and the reef factory kh keeper. less pumps needed.

I wonder if there could be an additional probe or something to incorporate po4... we're nearly there with the ultimate set up.... come on Po4!

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHL also released version 2 of the optical and float sensor. Here they are at reefaplooza.

687C9739-A0C6-43A0-A430-CF2C97090E35.jpeg B1BA8CBA-B774-47C3-B949-9A473E51A434.jpeg

Last edited:

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i think im going for the ion director with stand-alone doser and the reef factory kh keeper. less pumps needed.

I wonder if there could be an additional probe or something to incorporate po4... we're nearly there with the ultimate set up.... come on Po4!
God I hope so

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Ditto - I read the manual for the ion - it has a maintenance section but there's not much there. What's maintenance on this, and, how frequently do you need to calibrate the pumps? How often do you have to replace the reference fluids?

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reference solution is 9ml per test in normal mode and 14ml in high precision and the bottles come in in 500 and 1000ml sizes. So depending how much you test it will determine how long.

For Maintenance I been running mine almost 6 months no calibration of the pumps except the initial setup.

The probe will notify you when it needs to be replaced you can continue to use it but it will continue to degrade.

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The reference solution is 9ml per test in normal mode and 14ml in high precision and the bottles come in in 500 and 1000ml sizes. So depending how much you test it will determine how long.

For Maintenance I been running mine almost 6 months no calibration of the pumps except the initial setup.

The probe will notify you when it needs to be replaced you can continue to use it but it will continue to degrade.
How much are the 500/1000ml reference fluids? Also, do you know if you can make your own or buy it in bulk from a different mfg? Aka wondering if I'm locked into ghl brand fluid.

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$17 or $27 per bottle.

I don't believe we know the final blends and tolerances to be able to source our own fluids. Their are some old videos that show the specs and could get you close, but you could damage the probe if you get it wrong.

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Biff0rz - Per the GHL Store :) And no you will be required to purchase it from GHL, as it specific to the process used by the ION D. I did ask about Bulk larger sizes, and it is something they may consider later on, but right now they are focused to get the unit's out with the reference bottles sizes listed below. They have pallets of it on the way over now from Germany. They understand the importance of keeping it in stock for us in the US, so I would not expect us not being able to get it.

500 ML Ref A - 16.90
500 ML Ref B - 16.90

1000 ML Ref A - 26.90
1000 ML Ref B - 26.90

scottsweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A ION director and Stand-alone GHL doser is all you would need for testing.

The Alkatronic is very similar to the KHD from what I understand so it would be more of a consolidation convenience. The KHD does require its own GHL doser as well.

To automate control the CaRx, the Profilux controller is required. 2-part dosing control does not need a controller.
I have had both. They both do basically the same thing...use PH and measure titration of a weak acid to determine dkH. The difference is the s/w, control capabilities and physical size of the unit.

If you want the details...please PM me or happy to discuss.

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Irongolem411 - The sensor lifespan is going to be base on the concentration of organic waste inside your tank. The higher the organic waste means your going to replace the probe more often.

I did on the one tank with High Organic Waste (No3 almost 100). It was before the 6 month mark but if I look at the all the tests I did which were in the 100's on the tank and divide it out 6-7 months would be about right, and this was on the first generation of probes also early in the testing. I believe they are being conservative, but only time will tell. Please Remember each tank is different, and the organic waste level and the amount of testing you do will determine the probe lifespan.

As for the other 3 tanks no issues and going strong, easily surpassing the 6 month mark based on all the tests I been doing and the length of time I have been testing the probe is working without any issues. These tanks have a No3 value between 0 and 15.

Sorry forgot to add accuracy still spot on even after the length of time I been using them. I am between both ATI and Triton tests but notice I am closer to the Triton test results. I will be posting a video of the results :)

Some things I noticed is for example I tested once an hour and the probe easily picked up my dosing 3 part without any issues. I observed RedSea No3 Po4, results if I did test close during or after dosing that, but did not see the same effects with AquaForest NitroPhos Minus.

Last edited:

monti mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a stupid question, but could you use a different brand’s dosing pump for the ion director? I have a 4 head versa pump and I’m only using 1 of the pumps. I’m curious if I could just order the ion director or if I’d need their pumps to go with it. Thanks!! This looks amazing!

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1- no you need a GHL doser to pair with the ION.

2- Highly recommend it, testing twice a day without any issues and been able to dial in calcium and Magnesium. I am still playing with dialing in the nitrate.

Back