GHL Maxi Unboxing - review to follow

Which Look do you prefer?

• Total voters

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted topost this quick video I pre-ordered the GHL Maxi during the all the Black Friday sales. I Had my eye on a DOS for a very long time, but couldn't get over the shape of the DOS. I may be unique in that regard, but i had purchased 2 DOS units and two DDR's and sent them back. I already had my eye on the GHL 2.1 Doser, so when I saw this new pump get released I jumped on it right away.

I need to upgrade to a wifi controller, and i am not sure i want the new Apex, so I am hoping this Stand aloneunit will give me enough of a preview into the GHL world to help me make up my mind by the end of the year, when i want to purchase the new controller.

I will do a follow up review, so please sub to my youtube channel.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting that all the higher quality, higher volume dosing units seem to be coalescing around the same pump heads - DoS, the Avast unit and now this one. Great minds or confluence of idiots LOL.

OP
OP
Txdragonslayer

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting that all the higher quality, higher volume dosing units seem to be coalescing around the same pump heads - DoS, the Avast unit and now this one. Great minds or confluence of idiots LOL.
I just posted a video with how the Maxi sounds and it sounds completely different from the DOS. I know, because GHL told me that they are using different motors from the DOS. However, they do look similar in shape to my eye, but for me, the sound is what makes the difference. I will be using this as an AWC unit so running at the highest speed was where i was concerned about the sound.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was referring to the heads not the motors (which you cannot see). The heads look exactly the same; well, other than not being orange.

OP
OP
Txdragonslayer

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which Avast unit are you talking about?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The older unit. They don't sell it anymore but do still stock the roller head unit (and note that it fits the DoS). I'm most interested to hear your impressions of this unit. Though I'm a big time apex user, I do employ the GHL doser 2 as a standalone and have been extremely happy with it.

Aquius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any word on success regarding auto water changes? I just ordered a Maxi for the same reason and was wondering how you made out.

sheldonjjessup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any word on success regarding auto water changes? I just ordered a Maxi for the same reason and was wondering how you made out.
Aquius it was working great for a little while, but then I decided to go a different direction and build a new tank, so that's where I am at, but I love the pump!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 106 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back