GHL Software

txreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it me or does the ghl software for the Profilux seem to be out of date? Reminds me of Windows 95. Also i am thoroughly confused as to why there is the control center then the cloud service then the app why all of these different platforms to control with different levels of usuability? I am really wanting to love this controller and also the Mitras lights for there stability and all in one design and it’s just a beautiful peace of hardware. Is there anything I’m missing here? I’m on the fence on buying the Mitras and the Profilux simply because of the software and that i have to find a way to run Windows in order to use it.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
App is handy at home, the cloud when away, GCC when you need to make several changes, add programming etc.
A lot of it is what you are comfortable using. The app can be set up with port forwarding and used everywhere but if you don't know or don't want to do that, you can use just the cloud.
The app is faster than the cloud when you are on the network.

I think it's nice it allows the user to chose the product that suits their needs.

I just got a Profilux 3ex secondhand for a steal. I don't think it's programs are as flashy as some of the other controllers but I was convinced by it reputation for stability. I'd love a mitras or 2 above my reefer, but it would be exhibit Z in the divorce behind all the other fish "stuff" lol

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree that the software is light years behind the hardware, which is a bit ironic. I guess it’s Unix based?! (May be wrong on this but saw a few references while setting it up). I just got my P4 and still getting up to speed. The cloud service is very rudimentary and I hope they keep improving it and not just the speed, it really should be very easy to get an up to date chart with data not lagging etc...I really hope GHL’s reliability lives up to the hype and expectations as this is the last controller I will get.. a different one crashed and ruined my tank not too long ago. I think all the controler manufacturers will face serious competition soon from various smart devices not necessarily meant for aquariums but that perform similar functions unless they get their acts together and start truly investing...

OP
OP
txreefer

txreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree that the software is light years behind the hardware, which is a bit ironic. I guess it’s Unix based?! (May be wrong on this but saw a few references while setting it up). I just got my P4 and still getting up to speed. The cloud service is very rudimentary and I hope they keep improving it and not just the speed, it really should be very easy to get an up to date chart with data not lagging etc...I really hope GHL’s reliability lives up to the hype and expectations as this is the last controller I will get.. a different one crashed and ruined my tank not too long ago. I think all the controler manufacturers will face serious competition soon from various smart devices not necessarily meant for aquariums but that perform similar functions unless they get their acts together and start truly investing...
I’m glad it’s not just me seeing this i am having a hard time justifying dropping 3k on ghl products knowing that the user interface/software is lagging. I have been doing just as you said and trying to see how much i could automate with out a aquarium controller. There are app controlled power strips now and even have timed functions and all kinds of home automation devises that could be used. It wouldn’t be plug and play but it would still be with in this century when it comes to the user interface.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I paid 7-800, not sure what would cost 3k. Guess if you add a doser? But I’ve had bad cheap dosers and they’re not worth the money IMO.

However, you can get a professional grade temperature controller for $150-200 these days. Guess people who dose kalk can get close to a lab grade ph controller for about $250?! You can pick up an older professional conductivity meter on eBay for $100-150...guess the rest controllers offer is sugar coating. And not to mention that having a single purpose device is always safer.

Agree on the WiFi power strips, but I can’t find many that have been around for a while to prove their reliability. But in a year or two, things are gonna look much different for us hobbyists and controller makers. Think most just gotta give up on their legacy systems and make stuff that’s in the 21st century. At least with GHL not much need to do programming...

Even today with some more advanced knowledge you can pretty much get all your equipment hooked on a smart hub like google or amazon for much less than any of the controllers...I suspect it’s just gonna get easier, which is really good for us especially when traveling :)

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say one more thing, GHL needs to get away from the sms module and make a decent app that can actually warn you if something goes wrong. I’m not gonna pay hundreds for a module and then hundreds a year for a SIM card and and a data plan just because they’re living in the 90s... that was a big disappointment that unfortunately I learned after purchasing...

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping I can get up to speed fairly quickly as I purchased the P4 mega pack, Doser 3.1 and 2 of the LX72 lights & stands...you know the cost of this. In my reading and research it seems that there is no real "Best" and they (controllers in general) all have their shortcomings. Hope I have no problem living with them... Man, and I haven't even seen the stuff yet...been at my house for weeks and I am still 2 weeks from home!

aumoenoav

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it me or does the ghl software for the Profilux seem to be out of date? Reminds me of Windows 95. Also i am thoroughly confused as to why there is the control center then the cloud service then the app why all of these different platforms to control with different levels of usuability? I am really wanting to love this controller and also the Mitras lights for there stability and all in one design and it’s just a beautiful peace of hardware. Is there anything I’m missing here? I’m on the fence on buying the Mitras and the Profilux simply because of the software and that i have to find a way to run Windows in order to use it.

I would suspect they are going to to go app / web only in the future and drop the GCC. I personally would like to see GCC gone and rather built in app for setup and web only configuration, but myghl is not that far from capable of doing everything GCC can do. I would like to see a bit more integrated services (like push notificatons, sms and more email options)

OP
OP
txreefer

txreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I tried the my ghl demo and I was thoroughly unimpressed with the software. It’s sad as I was considering mitras Doser and Profilux 4 for my current build. I’m not sure what direction I’m going to go in I had 2016 apex never got on a live tank because it wasn’t stable and crashed a few times before I even set the tank up so that’s not a option either. I may hold out for a while in hopes something comes out from ghl on the software side it is a super stable and reliable platform so that is a plus but I’m having a hard time getting over the software hahaha

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you try the demo at? There is no demo with out the equipment.
I will say one more thing, GHL needs to get away from the sms module and make a decent app that can actually warn you if something goes wrong..
The profilux 4 doesn't use the SMS module. An has and email notifications.

aumoenoav

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I tried the my ghl demo and I was thoroughly unimpressed with the software. It’s sad as I was considering mitras Doser and Profilux 4 for my current build. I’m not sure what direction I’m going to go in I had 2016 apex never got on a live tank because it wasn’t stable and crashed a few times before I even set the tank up so that’s not a option either. I may hold out for a while in hopes something comes out from ghl on the software side it is a super stable and reliable platform so that is a plus but I’m having a hard time getting over the software hahaha

The question is what are you looking for? Is the polished UI of Apex the appealing part of your decision? When making my decision I was in that boat and question for myself; Should I sacrifice the design and UI of Apex for the reputation of GHL even if (I personally) dont like the software too much and I dont think the UI is better on the Apex. But regardless of the start issues with GHL with their new products (that in generally seem to be released like app, initial bugs etc) I never experienced anything that put my tank in any danger. The thing with GHL it seem like its built so something can fail and still keep you safe. Also you have several ways to restore your box IF something fails so if you brick the firmware you can actually restore it with direct flashing that is a massive positive thing for GHL.

If you ask me - yes sacrifise the UI for GHL. I would reccommend GHL to sit down and review their translations in the apps. Some wordings are very confusing (maybe it makes more sense in german), and make the process a bit more streamlined and easier to understand (as in wording). What that is said its still the best Controller out there to keep your tank safe.

What with Apex is it that you mean GHL cant do? (except the UI).

OP
OP
txreefer

txreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are the exact thoughts I had as I did more research last night. The UI is not polished but after getting everything set up how often am I actually going to be using it besides just random task not very often. I prefer the stabability of ghl vs fancy software and that is why I’m still leaning towards ghl. As to your question about apex there is nothing that it can do that ghl can’t or at least nothing I want to do I like the polished look of apex but the stability is not there and I would never trust my tank and investment with it. I don’t have those fears with the ghl. So really you hit the nail on the head go for the stability of ghl and deal with a lack luster ui and I guess knowing that they aren’t constantly updating it lets you know it’s stable and going to work.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex just put a fancy UI on the very top of their software if you start to go deep you run into the old software that was very difficult to use. They needed the new Fusion UI to get people on board. GHL software is all dialog boxes and drop down boxes. Once I have it set up I really don’t look at the software. I use software just like GHL ‘s when I program industrial robots as part of my job. I have been doing industrial PLC work for 30 years. The software is meant to be straight forward to get the job done.
That’s a strength to me I want to get in and set it up and let the controller do it’s job. I use the new connect app to adjust my dosing pumps which I am always adjusting based on testing. I want to sit and enjoy the tank not look at software. [emoji3]

OP
OP
txreefer

txreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex just put a fancy UI on the very top of their software if you start to go deep you run into the old software that was very difficult to use. They needed the new Fusion UI to get people on board. GHL software is all dialog boxes and drop down boxes. Once I have it set up I really don’t look at the software. I use software just like GHL ‘s when I program industrial robots as part of my job. I have been doing industrial PLC work for 30 years. The software is meant to be straight forward to get the job done.
That’s a strength to me I want to get in and set it up and let the controller do it’s job. I use the new connect app to adjust my dosing pumps which I am always adjusting based on testing. I want to sit and enjoy the tank not look at software. [emoji3]
All great points and has made me look at this in a different way. Instead of pretty face on the software. We get reliability and software that just works.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right software that works is not pretty [emoji3]

We are just now getting things like KH monitoring which is what the controllers have been needing for years. With other testing systems coming in the future we will get to what we really need automated testing that actually needs.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer the stabability of ghl vs fancy software

I own a GHL Mitras, Doser, and Profilux 4.

Prior to owning GHL I also thought the complaints about GHL software centered around UI + User Experience, but the software was reliable and high quality. I have come to the opposite conclusion. I find the number of bugs in their software breathtaking. Both mobile apps (iOS, Android) for their doser are sitting on mostly 1-2 star reviews for 2.5+ years. Go read the reviews. The software is littered with bugs, it's not UI.

When the iOS dosing app saves 10ml rather the 0.5ml you entered, that's broken. That's not UI.

I've used the PC app, android, both iOS apps, and cloud. I've spent twenty years shipping software on all sorts of platforms (game consoles, pc, embedded, etc) and that greatly colors my expectations, but I find the software unacceptable and regret my purchases. @Reefer525XL had a related post where he transitioned from GHL->Neptune and was much happier.

I've heard my share of Apex horror stories and a good friend is sitting on a dead Apex right now (Neptune is replacing), so it's not all great on the other side. But I disagree that GHLs software is mostly a UI issue. If I could it over again, I wouldn't chose any GHL product.

This is only one man's opinion and experience.

OP
OP
txreefer

txreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MrMichael thanks for the reply. I recently came across that post while researching. I have found many things I do not like about the Ghl product. It looks like a very nice piece of hardware but I have decided against it for many reasons. I tried the demo of the software on there webpage and was not impressed. The apex is more plug and play yes there are horror stories about the Apex but I believe if the Profilux has sold the volumes of units Neptune has sold you would get the same stories. I much prefer if I have a problem or issue that there is a large community of users to help me out. I will include fail safes Incase something does go wrong. It is a computer after all and no matter what brand you chooses it’s not if but when something will go wrong that’s just the nature of using computers.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back