Ghost Flatworm or something bad?

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They're in my coral/invert QT. Can they come in on CUC members? I haven't added any new corals in a while and last coral addition was Bayer dipped but I got some new snails in earlier this week. I acclimated and rinsed the new snails with tank water but not sure if that washes these guys off.

IMG_4546.jpg
IMG_4547.jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some snails, like Nerites, store water inside their shells. Possible eggs of Ghost Flatworms could be in that water.

OP
OP
Huff747

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some snails, like Nerites, store water inside their shells. Possible eggs of Ghost Flatworms could be in that water.

Thanks. I did in fact add Nerites but they were in the prior batch (still in QT) added back on 11/22. So it could be that the flatworms are just now numerous and large enough for me to notice they were something other than pods.

On a side note I failed to read that Nerites like to wander so I've found them outside the tank a few times even with a lid. So far they've all lived when I put them back in the tank.

The latest batch of CUC added was some Trochus, Nassarius, Cerith, and 3 scarlet hermits that came in on Tuesday.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a side note I failed to read that Nerites like to wander so I've found them outside the tank a few times even with a lid. So far they've all lived when I put them back in the tank.
Yep! That's due to their portable water supply.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any info of how long they can make it? Most of them we found right by the tank. One was probably MIA for at least 12 hours and was inside a cabinet several feet from the tank.
Don't know how long they can last out of water. But most nerites are tidal creatures. So I imagine they can last at least low to high tide out of water, depending on the weather conditions.

OP
OP
Huff747

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Thanks. Wonder when and what he came in on or with. Apparently my protocol is less than stellar if I’ve got flatworms and this guy. Most recent coral was 3 weeks ago and was removed from the plug, dipped and glued on a new plug. Could this guy have come in with my CUC members earlier this week?

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Leopard which made quick work of them. They were mildly unsightly but mostly they made everyone think it was AEFW and fear my tank. So I got rid of them.

OP
OP
Huff747

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got a Leopard which made quick work of them. They were mildly unsightly but mostly they made everyone think it was AEFW and fear my tank. So I got rid of them.

Thanks. This is in my fishless coral and invert QT so not sure what my plan will be. I have time before the current residents are ready to move over to figure something out but am open to suggestions. I’d like to get some of the pods from my QT to the display but not so much with the flatworms.

trietnguyen000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see some on my glass too. There are quite a bit in the overflow. They spook the hell out of me as I have some sps frags.

My frags haven’t had much polyp extension lately but I see no visual damage on the coral body. Colors are still there. I recently upgraded lighting from AI to Radion g5. My flow has been messed up since I knocked the return pump tube while cleaning and a silly Hyggin mini is too weak. I have two MP10 on the way.

As far as these flatworms go…I shouldn’t be worry right?

Attachments

• 86B08D2C-6BA4-4022-8864-95C07F50AAB1.png
    86B08D2C-6BA4-4022-8864-95C07F50AAB1.png
    433.1 KB · Views: 57

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see some on my glass too. There are quite a bit in the overflow. They spook the hell out of me as I have some sps frags.

My frags haven’t had much polyp extension lately but I see no visual damage on the coral body. Colors are still there. I recently upgraded lighting from AI to Radion g5. My flow has been messed up since I knocked the return pump tube while cleaning and a silly Hyggin mini is too weak. I have two MP10 on the way.

As far as these flatworms go…I shouldn’t be worry right?
They will just consume copepods nothing to worry about.
For more info on flatworm Id and methods of treatment read here:

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
They will just consume copepods nothing to worry about.
For more info on flatworm Id and methods of treatment read here:
They are indeed ghost flatworms. I have them too.
Excellent link to just the article I was looking for!
Oh My God Reaction GIF by CBC

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back