Ghost shrimp don't have any nutritional value?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did this statement come from, what's the basis to this statement. I was just this week, on this board, ask this question. I saw a popular youtube on anglers today, and the 1st statement on feeding was "ghost shrimp don't have nutritional value". I'll let you decide for yourself, but as I far as I am concerned, this is just another one of those statements repeated over and over, with absolutely no knowledge. Personally I have had certain predators for many years on as much as 70% or even more of their diet being ghost shrimp.

Let's take a look, you would think shrimp are shrimp, right. Check out health sites for their verdict of the nutritional value of shrimp that we eat. Here's what you will find; a good amount of protein, B3 and B12, vit D, vit E, mg, zinc, and other nutrients and antioxidants including fatty acids containing omega 3 and 6. Add the shells in and you have ca, more protein and amino acids as well as other trace elements. Keep a tank and feed them a quality pellet food, as we are and our ghosties are, what we eat. Anytime you scoop a few up, you'll see the little pellets in their bellies for an added boost.

I don't know about you, but I think ghosties are a great staple for our predators.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lions I've had in the past were very satisfied by Ghost Shrimp also

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard brine shrimp once they grow a bit have little nutritional value. Perhaps people are confusing the 2 kinds.
I feed both freshwater and salt ghosts and have been for many months.

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3125_heic-S.jpg
IMG_3113_heic-S.jpg

IMG_3107_heic-M.jpg

I am also raising guppies as feeders. The lions do not look at white worms.

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah worms aren't happening. How big are your lions, breeding mollies may be a good choice for smaller lions. I'm not sure how easily guppies breed, I imagine likely as easy as mollies, but mollies will give you more meat quicker. Once my lions reached 4", breeding mollies just wasn't worth it, it took too long to grow them up for feeding.

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had any luck raising mollies. I have 100s of guppies now though they are still small.
They are in a 55 gallon tank. It should make a sizable colony. I bought a large quantity of feeder guppies to start.
2020100708012695-385034727170466912-IMG_3105_heic-M.jpg

Back