Giant Acropora efflorescens

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Giant? No. There are corals in the wild the size of cars.... trying to get YouTube views, eh?

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Giant? No. There are corals in the wild the size of cars.... trying to get YouTube views, eh?

Thats kind of a rude remark.

Sure there are massive ones in the wild but for being in captivity/ in a private hobbyist aquarium, thats a pretty huge efflorescens.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think these days you might have to share pics of a 6” tenuis colony to get a reaction. Only the really experienced reefers will appreciate an efflo colony this large. I hope it acclimated well for you since it can be hard to introduce such a large coral to a new tank while keeping it happy enough to continue to grow. I hope the intention was to get it to grow larger and not chop it up!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have been trying to sell that thing for years and years. Half of Denver who are into corals like effo/soli has a frag of it.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, a friend near me who owns a shop always has weird stories about the large corals he sells or trades. It’s never just cash, there is always a trade of some oddball non reef item involved to get rid of these large corals. I want to know what you traded to get it! And how heavy it is.

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the article was posted, he really didnt get too much for it. in fact me personally think he got the raw end of the deal. if you watch the video 3/4 of it were inexpensive beginner corals.

OP
OP
Reef Builders

Reef Builders

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the article was posted, he really didnt get too much for it. in fact me personally think he got the raw end of the deal. if you watch the video 3/4 of it were inexpensive beginner corals.
Mike and I are veteran reefers and friends, we don't care about coral names, just that they are fun, colorful strains - no one has most of these strains because I collected them myself in Australia and Solomon Islands

OP
OP
Reef Builders

Reef Builders

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, a friend near me who owns a shop always has weird stories about the large corals he sells or trades. It’s never just cash, there is always a trade of some oddball non reef item involved to get rid of these large corals. I want to know what you traded to get it! And how heavy it is.
If you watch the video, I weighed the coral, it's 15 pounds with no rock underneath.

OP
OP
Reef Builders

Reef Builders

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think these days you might have to share pics of a 6” tenuis colony to get a reaction. Only the really experienced reefers will appreciate an efflo colony this large. I hope it acclimated well for you since it can be hard to introduce such a large coral to a new tank while keeping it happy enough to continue to grow. I hope the intention was to get it to grow larger and not chop it up!
To be honest the real impetus to cut it some is to get more of the colorful growing edge - I've seen tank grown Efflos bigger than this and it's like two feet of meh bordered by a beautiful, vivid growing margin.

OP
OP
Reef Builders

Reef Builders

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats kind of a rude remark.

Sure there are massive ones in the wild but for being in captivity/ in a private hobbyist aquarium, thats a pretty huge efflorescens.
I've seen them in specific habitats in Bali and believe it or not, most colonies don't get this big in the wild due to storms, bleaching and periodic disturbances.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen them in specific habitats in Bali and believe it or not, most colonies don't get this big in the wild due to storms, bleaching and periodic disturbances.

Guess that makes it a true giant then.

Not sure why that individual decided to be rude, I enjoyed the video?

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you watch the video, I weighed the coral, it's 15 pounds with no rock underneath.

Finally got time to watch the video, pretty cool! Awesome to see big efflo like that. A friend had a 500$ efflo that was close to that size but when he moved it to the shop aefw got to it sadly. The egg masses were like art because of all the flat area they had to work with haha. I like those lights the guy was using, are they the ones made in Australia? Either way they did that coral right. Thanks for making the video! I would love to see that immortal tort a little closer as well as some of the stuff you collected yourself.

OP
OP
Reef Builders

Reef Builders

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got time to watch the video, pretty cool! Awesome to see big efflo like that. A friend had a 500$ efflo that was close to that size but when he moved it to the shop aefw got to it sadly. The egg masses were like art because of all the flat area they had to work with haha. I like those lights the guy was using, are they the ones made in Australia? Either way they did that coral right. Thanks for making the video! I would love to see that immortal tort a little closer as well as some of the stuff you collected yourself.
The lights are Acro Optics, locally made in Boulder, Colorado - kind of like a small batch hot rod LED light with some neat features you won't find in mass produced fixtures, like color touchscreens!

wishntoboutside

Snow flake
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you are able to keep this alive and not have it RTN due to the change in flow and other tank parameters. Best of luck with this Jake and keep us updated on it.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 54 49.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 54.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.7%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.2%
Back