Giant red legged hermit crab!

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on this bridge on treasure island, and looking into the water of course! I see this GIANT red leg hermit crab in a conch shell!

Sorry the picture is bad but he saw me and started running away lol

Thats crazy right, he's lucky im working and scared of sharks!;)

20210430_092420.jpg 20210430_092341.jpg 20210430_092333.jpg

OP
OP
thatmanMIKEson

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever see one like this before?

I've seen giant suckerfish in ponds, im sure people thru out from their aquarium, but not sure....They were the same suckerfish from a petstore just 12"+.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Hairy Legged Crab?
1619815174120.png

I used to have one of these named Crabzilla. He was a conqueror. He would eat all of his tank mates. He even took out this 9" long tube anemone named Ursula. He had his own JBJ AIO 39 ish gallon cube for a couple years. He was my husbands masters degree buddy. He would get bored and tap his claw on the "glass" when he wanted attention - or food. I even got him a little plastic bird ladder so he could climb to the top and stick his butt on the return jet. (He did that often) It was a pain to keep a tank for just him. Dang, I miss that little guy but I'll never do it again. Unless, he could cohabitate with a mantis shrimp ..... LOL Wow, that would be interesting.

OP
OP
thatmanMIKEson

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Hairy Legged Crab?
1619815174120.png

I used to have one of these named Crabzilla. He was a conqueror. He would eat all of his tank mates. He even took out this 9" long tube anemone named Ursula. He had his own JBJ AIO 39 ish gallon cube for a couple years. He was my husbands masters degree buddy. He would get bored and tap his claw on the "glass" when he wanted attention - or food. I even got him a little plastic bird ladder so he could climb to the top and stick his butt on the return jet. (He did that often) It was a pain to keep a tank for just him. Dang, I miss that little guy but I'll never do it again. Unless, he could cohabitate with a mantis shrimp ..... LOL Wow, that would be interesting.
That is an awesome picture, and a beautiful color red, wow!

Lenett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Hairy Legged Crab?
1619815174120.png

Mine is out of the shell and stays in a hole in the rock. I think it killed my emerald crab.

OP
OP
thatmanMIKEson

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish you had a size reference by it, lol was it big? crikies thats a bigg one! I can tell by the sand and the awesome quality 4k picture, thanks for sharing!

Yeah that would never go in the tank, that was a joke;)

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
found one off the beach behind our hotel in nassau, bahamas...assumed it was just a conch and when i picked it up found a hermit the size of my hand...

OP
OP
thatmanMIKEson

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@thatmanMIKEson
Check out blue heron bridge 1hr before high tide and you can snorkel/dive for 2 hrs and see all sorts of things!!! Water is usually clear and clean.

Seahorses, octopus, frog fish, batfish and much more.
I might have too, thats not to far away and I love snorkeling. How is red tide in your area? If at all... Its starting to show up around here unfortunately

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 26 28.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 24 26.7%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 23 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back