Giant red legged hermit crab!

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on this bridge on treasure island, and looking into the water of course! I see this GIANT red leg hermit crab in a conch shell!

Sorry the picture is bad but he saw me and started running away lol

Thats crazy right, he's lucky im working and scared of sharks!;)

20210430_092420.jpg 20210430_092341.jpg 20210430_092333.jpg

OP
OP
thatmanMIKEson

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever see one like this before?

I've seen giant suckerfish in ponds, im sure people thru out from their aquarium, but not sure....They were the same suckerfish from a petstore just 12"+.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Hairy Legged Crab?
1619815174120.png

I used to have one of these named Crabzilla. He was a conqueror. He would eat all of his tank mates. He even took out this 9" long tube anemone named Ursula. He had his own JBJ AIO 39 ish gallon cube for a couple years. He was my husbands masters degree buddy. He would get bored and tap his claw on the "glass" when he wanted attention - or food. I even got him a little plastic bird ladder so he could climb to the top and stick his butt on the return jet. (He did that often) It was a pain to keep a tank for just him. Dang, I miss that little guy but I'll never do it again. Unless, he could cohabitate with a mantis shrimp ..... LOL Wow, that would be interesting.

OP
OP
thatmanMIKEson

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Hairy Legged Crab?
1619815174120.png

I used to have one of these named Crabzilla. He was a conqueror. He would eat all of his tank mates. He even took out this 9" long tube anemone named Ursula. He had his own JBJ AIO 39 ish gallon cube for a couple years. He was my husbands masters degree buddy. He would get bored and tap his claw on the "glass" when he wanted attention - or food. I even got him a little plastic bird ladder so he could climb to the top and stick his butt on the return jet. (He did that often) It was a pain to keep a tank for just him. Dang, I miss that little guy but I'll never do it again. Unless, he could cohabitate with a mantis shrimp ..... LOL Wow, that would be interesting.
That is an awesome picture, and a beautiful color red, wow!

Lenett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Hairy Legged Crab?
1619815174120.png

Mine is out of the shell and stays in a hole in the rock. I think it killed my emerald crab.

OP
OP
thatmanMIKEson

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish you had a size reference by it, lol was it big? crikies thats a bigg one! I can tell by the sand and the awesome quality 4k picture, thanks for sharing!

Yeah that would never go in the tank, that was a joke;)

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
found one off the beach behind our hotel in nassau, bahamas...assumed it was just a conch and when i picked it up found a hermit the size of my hand...

OP
OP
thatmanMIKEson

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@thatmanMIKEson
Check out blue heron bridge 1hr before high tide and you can snorkel/dive for 2 hrs and see all sorts of things!!! Water is usually clear and clean.

Seahorses, octopus, frog fish, batfish and much more.
I might have too, thats not to far away and I love snorkeling. How is red tide in your area? If at all... Its starting to show up around here unfortunately

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back