Giant toadstool leather help-

Sir Pat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty sure my giant toadstool is having issues...need help from those with experience- so I came here where I know I can find exactly that.

Picked up a giant toadstool leather a month ago. About 15" tall, open head diameter about 16". Been leaning over the entire time, but opening up well with pretty good polyp extension. Have been waiting for it to stand tall....but has yet to happen. Has had me slightly worried, but have been very optimistic till the last couple days.....

Ive noticed it leaning more, and the foot is letting loose slowely but seemingly surely. Still showing polyp extension, but definitely falling over and letting loose of its hold on the rocks.

Is this all pointing in direction of dying? I have yet to see a toadstool die....all other smaller toadstools in tank doing great with no issues. All other leathers doing great- no issues. SPS is doing great- no issues.....over all tank is thriving.

Experiences and info is appreciated. I would hate to ignore signs of this huge coral dying polluting and crashing my tank.

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been several years since I've kept leathers, and I'm not sure I ever had one quite that big so I may not be the best reference.

How large of a rock or foundation is the leather attached to? For a leather that size, I'd want it to be established on a nice large, heavy rock.

Is the leather possibly leaning due to light source being stronger in one direction versus another? Or more likely is it leaning towards a flow source? My large leather would definitely lean so that a return was blowing across it. It liked that flow feeding over its top.

Its possible the foot is trying to move and reestablish itself? Or does the base of the foot look like it is dying or losing tissue (not just the very bottom, say 1" up from bottom)?

Like you, I've found leathers are about indestructible. I've torn leathers completely off a rock and reestablished them onto new bases. It takes them several weeks to reattach but sometimes is needed depending on how it is anchored.

Are you running carbon? I don't think this is a chemical warfare type issue, though, but I'm trying to be thorough.

A picture would be helpful if you have one.

OP
OP
Sir Pat

Sir Pat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been several years since I've kept leathers, and I'm not sure I ever had one quite that big so I may not be the best reference.

How large of a rock or foundation is the leather attached to? For a leather that size, I'd want it to be established on a nice large, heavy rock.

Is the leather possibly leaning due to light source being stronger in one direction versus another? Or more likely is it leaning towards a flow source? My large leather would definitely lean so that a return was blowing across it. It liked that flow feeding over its top.

Its possible the foot is trying to move and reestablish itself? Or does the base of the foot look like it is dying or losing tissue (not just the very bottom, say 1" up from bottom)?

Like you, I've found leathers are about indestructible. I've torn leathers completely off a rock and reestablished them onto new bases. It takes them several weeks to reattach but sometimes is needed depending on how it is anchored.

Are you running carbon? I don't think this is a chemical warfare type issue, though, but I'm trying to be thorough.

A picture would be helpful if you have one.

Rock foundation is about 15 lbs- very good sized.

Leaning away from the light and not seeming to have the flow effect it...more like the lean of the leather is the effect, like its no longer strong enough to hold itself up.

Foot seams to be just letting go in a fall over fashion.

Just started running some carbon yesterday. Hoping its not a heavy metal issue....but all other corals are flourishing. I had some tank grabbers w/ metal parts inside that rusted. Used them a few times without knowledge of the rust till it was too late. My tank is leather/soft dominant, not thinking its coral chemical (alelopathy) warfare.

Going to post pics of progression and some more info soon....think it can with flatworms (typical brown planaria) and the snowflake eel recently took residence under it....also looks like something has been taking bites.....Ill get pics of all this soon.

Thx for all the suggestions and help so far.

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures will probably help. I'd run some carbon and poly filter in case you did get some metal toxicity that leached into the water.

A healthy leather would obviously be able to support itself given adequate base (which sounds like you have). It certainly sounds like a pest or possible infection? I wonder if a coral dip might be warranted (although I'm always hesitant to use those and I've never had cause to need one on a leather). Hmm...hopefully some others will have some ideas.

OP
OP
Sir Pat

Sir Pat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First day-

48408711_663351540728921_1675486722357460992_n.jpg

OP
OP
Sir Pat

Sir Pat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved it some so that the head wasn't pressed against the glass soon after that. Never stood all the way up, but now its definitely detatching from its rock and base of stem is definitely deteriorating. Can pull chunks off by hand....and they smell, not horrible, but like the beach at low tide when its at its ripest....

Will get more pics soon.

OP
OP
Sir Pat

Sir Pat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am certain if I lifted it up without lifting the rocks it would easily tear right off the rocks, as before it could hold the rocks pretty securely for a short amount of time....

I should add my fish list, just in case-

Copperband butterfly
Blue tank
Purple tang
Pink tail trigger
Niger trigger
White tail trigger
Yellow coris wrasse
Melanarus wrasse
Snowflake eel

Also- Have some flatworms that I believe came in with the toadstool- common brown planaria type.

Might have gotten a bit of rust in the water column. All other corals doing fine.

OP
OP
Sir Pat

Sir Pat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frag the head of it as quickly as possible and remove rest. A leather that big will foul your tank in a hurry.

Never fragged or cut a leather this big....how much of the base should I leave attatched? Just the head? Or some base left with it? I am unsure of how to proceed on this huge piece....

Maybe just cut whatever isn't completely firm off? Advice appreciated.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would cut it right under the head.

Then, cut up the head into smaller pieces.

Go to GARF.org for a tutorial on fragging leathers. (I hope the tutorial is still up)

If you have more questions, please give a yell.

OP
OP
Sir Pat

Sir Pat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to frag the head off. The head and the trunk under the head fealt pretty firm still. The parts holding the rock though were fragile and fiberous...and just like I figured came right off the rock like Velcro. The bottom, or foot, of the leather, where it was fiberous and easily torn smelt a bit off....like said before- beach at low tide and ripe. The rest smelled like a leather still. I cut it as close to the head as possible leaving just a bit of (healthy?) stem.

48406136_1880348575427531_3193607672645550080_n.jpg
48426609_2401025109970904_1996900977910743040_n.jpg
48398188_538173593315928_5245031091420528640_n.jpg
48405533_368248000651415_6861288191836553216_n.jpg

OP
OP
Sir Pat

Sir Pat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question-

Is the yellow inside normal? Abnormal? Good/bad? Vids Ive seen were all ivory....

Also- the leather did not slime up at all, or at least not yet. Typical? Just a lot of expelled water from the cut. Polyps did start to pop out immediately after re-introduction to the tank set on a new rock to hopefully attatch to.

OP
OP
Sir Pat

Sir Pat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries. Just keep us posted as to how this turns out.

Has it snowed in the mitten yet?

Snowed early this year a few times and went away...looking like not a white Christmas.

Hows it look? Im feeling confidant in everything so far other than the yellow tissue....Will be keeping an eye on it. Thx for the help so far.

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you did the right thing to frag the leather. It was definitely dying. My best guess is a predator of some sort (maybe the flatworms or bristle worm or something else).

As far as your other questions, the coral may not slime up after dragging. I've had them feel like hard rocks after fragging. Good luck getting them to reattach. I usually rubberband them around a new rock or set the pieces in some rubble in the sump or if you have a small hole in a rock you can set a piece down into might work. I've also seen people use toothpicks through the base. I'm sure there are tons of tips online or in the forum.

Yellow inside after fragging? Hmmm...I can't recall. I think it may depend on the leather?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back