Giesemann Aurora User Thread

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. You run whites at 100% on Radions or Kessils and you will fry your corals

Yeah, no issue here. My other thread and previous post here show par at 100% on all channels and it's certainly not going to fry anything.

Last edited:

RTab619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the hanging kit, the pieces that screw onto the fixture don’t seem to screw in all the way. Anyone else have this issue?

fishnugget1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading this thread I am now confused. I have a Red Sea Reefer 750. I was using Radion G4 30 Pro's. I wanted better coloration & growth. So I decided to change to a T-5 Hybrid fixture in the Aurora. I custom ordered in polar white for great asthetics. Now I am hearing that The par values are low and that you must hang close to water which really reduces spread. I don't want dark ends. My reefer is 71 inches and Aurora is 60 inches. I have not installed yet. It also came with Giesemann bulbs. Now I hear use ATI. It is also hard to find anyone who is using this fixture who shares their settings. My tank will be mostly SPS. I used an AB+ schedule with my Radions. Can anyone shed some light on my concerns be for I hang this puppy?

RTab619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading this thread I am now confused. I have a Red Sea Reefer 750. I was using Radion G4 30 Pro's. I wanted better coloration & growth. So I decided to change to a T-5 Hybrid fixture in the Aurora. I custom ordered in polar white for great asthetics. Now I am hearing that The par values are low and that you must hang close to water which really reduces spread. I don't want dark ends. My reefer is 71 inches and Aurora is 60 inches. I have not installed yet. It also came with Giesemann bulbs. Now I hear use ATI. It is also hard to find anyone who is using this fixture who shares their settings. My tank will be mostly SPS. I used an AB+ schedule with my Radions. Can anyone shed some light on my concerns be for I hang this puppy?

I’m still trying to find a schedule that’s worked for someone. I’ve been playing around for the last month myself. Also I am going to add a reefbrite (once I get around to painting it - I’ve already had one failed attempt)

PaulG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sharing my story which might help you. I have had Aurora 48" on my Reefer 450 for two years now and I could not be happier (I also ordered the Polar White!).
These replace two Kessil AP700s. Before going to Aurora's hybrid setup I had burnt corals, dead corals, no growth, cyano etc but great shimmer. I purchased a par meter to fine tune the Kessils - results didnt change. When I changed to Aurora in a few months the reed turned around - I was also worried about the par levels as I could see I get 250 ish in high areas but it seems the spread of T5 light and diffuse nature is much more important to corals than the par number that is read by a Par meter.

Regarding sizing I could go with 60" but that would have covered the whole tank and would have make maintenance difficult. In reality because of the diffused nature of light and all the reflections I can get coral to grow even on the edges of reef but the last five inches on extremities of the tank are about 20% darker than the center of the tank.

I use Geisemann Aquablue Coral and Actinic Blue which gives very good coloration. At peak at run all at between 85 and 90 percent for 4-5 hours.

The coloration is very good, but you can fine tune the LEDs to get what you want, however, T5's are dominant so that really defines your look. You get minimal shimmer nothing simliar to Kessil. I would not complement this light with any other lighting source. I like to have less variables to control and tune. Programming is straight forward and similar to others ( even a bit better). I think all the vendors can do a better job with programming but I guess they are not software guys. In any case once I set it up and tuned the colors and rarely touch it (just around daytime savings).

It does however increase the temperature of the tank slightly, not as bad a metal halide but more than pure LEDs.

Mine sits about 8-9 inches off the water line to minimize leakage into the room.

Hope this helps!

jessezm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a 60" Aurora owner, and I'm glad you shared your experience. My fixture is above a 5' x 2' x 2' tank that is SPS-dominant. I am currently running 2 aquablue coral and 2 aquablue azure bulbs from Geisemann and haven't really experimented with other color combos. I just switched to the pre-set #2 schedule, and actually just set up my display tank, so it's hard to say what the results will be long term. That said, I've used the lights for about 4 months over a frag tank (12" deep) and it rocked. I have not tested it with a par meter but visually speaking it is very bright.

Being a little bit excessive, I have actually fixed 2 60" reefbrite XHO strips to the fixture - a 50/50 in the front and a actinic blue in the back. I got them cheap (relatively speaking) and only paid $1200 for the fixture and 12 bulbs, so I feel ok about it :)

IMG_3421.JPG

IMG_3422.JPG

fishnugget1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you PaulG for your honest response. I feel better now. This hobby is becoming too complex. I guess you would recommend 8-9 above water level then. I originally thought 12 because that is where I had the Radions. I will heed your advice. Thought higher would allow for better edge to edge spread.

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my schedule and par readings with a reefbright XHO actninic on the front of the aurora. SPS grows well to about mid level in the tank. However, this aurora schedule is set to mix well with the reefbright actinic so not sure it would be great without the reefbright. I love the colors with this bulb / light combo, especially the effect of the super purple in the back with actnic in the front at night.

(T5s: 1x Aquablue Coral, 1x Aquablue Azure, 1x Super Purple, 1x Super Actinic)

upload_2018-11-22_9-13-39.png

Reefbright controlled through Apex:
upload_2018-11-22_9-14-31.png

Par.jpg

Last edited:

weezeoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received my Giesmann Aurora 72 in from Coralvue and really confused and must be missing something. the light fixture has 3 cords coming out , 1 is standard 110 and the other 2 have a square end with 4 small holes i assume plug into something that has a power outlet of some kind? There was nothing else in the box, in a separate box i did get the Step up down Transformer which i have no clue as to what i plug into that and what to set the selector on back too. No instructions and have asked for help from Coralvue for 2 days and have no response. I did get a great deal but i think i need some help on what i need to make these work, Any help is appreciated

jon99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received my Giesmann Aurora 72 in from Coralvue and really confused and must be missing something. the light fixture has 3 cords coming out , 1 is standard 110 and the other 2 have a square end with 4 small holes i assume plug into something that has a power outlet of some kind? There was nothing else in the box, in a separate box i did get the Step up down Transformer which i have no clue as to what i plug into that and what to set the selector on back too. No instructions and have asked for help from Coralvue for 2 days and have no response. I did get a great deal but i think i need some help on what i need to make these work, Any help is appreciated

Hey weezeoh. From what you are describing, it sounds like you are missing the two meanwell power supplies. These are for the leds and what two of the power cords coming out of the fixture (with square ends and 4 holes) will plug into. I took a pic of one so you see what it looks like.
The third plug (standard 110v) powers the t5’s and plugs into the step down/up transformer into the outlet labeled 220v output. On the back of the transformer, select 110v input (crappy photos, sorry dark in my fish room).
Hope that helps, and hopefully CV replies and sends you the power supplies.

1596147279319.jpeg

1596147636948.jpeg

1596147678635.jpeg

weezeoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much, Coralvue is sending the missing powersupply, and they still havent responded on how to set up the transformer, I appreciate this ill post a pic once i get it set up.. Thanks

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at a new light fixture for a 150x70x50 (cm) sps dominated tank.
Would a 120cm Aurora fixture do the trick according to you guys experience or will it be a little on the weak side?

DCReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Main points:

The ATI will have slightly superior T5 reflectors
The ATI is slightly cheaper
The ATI can be had in an 8-bulb version

The Giesemann is easier on the eyes... may be a matter of opinion though. It can also be special ordered in various colors.
The Giesemann has a far superior LED section
The Giesemann is BlueTooth controlled
I know this is old. I PU a 48" Auroa for $400 today that only had about 8 months of use on the unit for my 100 gallon reef reboot. Wish me luck.

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone still running this unit ?
Been running my aurora for about 2 years. Happy with it! I'll most likely use it for the new tank I'm setting up and adding 2 light bars to it only because the tank is 36" front to back

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back