Giesemann Aurora V12 review

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

I’ve seen a fair bit of interest about this fixture and as the owner of the first unit on the market I can probably shed some insights.

1678639019398.png

Full disclosure: I was given this light by Giesemann to test but have free rein to give my honest opinion.
I’m also a long term fan of the brand and I believe this is the 5th or 6th fixture from them that I’ve owned…stretching back about 15 years.

I’ve never been a big fan of all led setups as I’ve always found them lacking somehow, either in terms of light diffusion or lacking that punch and look a single point of light gives you. I’ve always opted to run T5/LED hybrids due to that fact.

Well, that’s apparently a thing of the past and in my opinion this is probably the best iteration of a led light on the market right now. I feel that it gives me everything my old hybrid setups did with improved color rendering and less energy consumption.
My guess it’s that this is the next logical evolution in led lighting and I would be surprised if more manufacturers doesn’t follow suit.

It also has a very good price point for the amount of light it provides. One 150cm fixture illuminate the entirety of my 200x80x65cm tank with no issues.

Anyways, check out the video and im happy to answer any questions if I’ve missed anything.

Reef370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

I’ve seen a fair bit of interest about this fixture and as the owner of the first unit on the market I can probably shed some insights.

1678639019398.png

Full disclosure: I was given this light by Giesemann to test but have free rein to give my honest opinion.
I’m also a long term fan of the brand and I believe this is the 5th or 6th fixture from them that I’ve owned…stretching back about 15 years.

I’ve never been a big fan of all led setups as I’ve always found them lacking somehow, either in terms of light diffusion or lacking that punch and look a single point of light gives you. I’ve always opted to run T5/LED hybrids due to that fact.

Well, that’s apparently a thing of the past and in my opinion this is probably the best iteration of a led light on the market right now. I feel that it gives me everything my old hybrid setups did with improved color rendering and less energy consumption.
My guess it’s that this is the next logical evolution in led lighting and I would be surprised if more manufacturers doesn’t follow suit.

It also has a very good price point for the amount of light it provides. One 150cm fixture illuminate the entirety of my 200x80x65cm tank with no issues.

Anyways, check out the video and im happy to answer any questions if I’ve missed anything.

Thank you for the review, I am definitely intrigued by the light.. Hopefully we will get the US distribution and we will be able to purchase here State side..

It was a great video and answered some questions that I had about the light.

Is your light maxed out all the way?

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Seems like they're going backwards to me. Centering the LEDs is a bad mistake as that is why they are always so directional with no spread.

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the review, I am definitely intrigued by the light.. Hopefully we will get the US distribution and we will be able to purchase here State side..

It was a great video and answered some questions that I had about the light.

Is your light maxed out all the way?
Fingers crossed as the value proposition is great. I believe they are working on it right now.
I could crank up the whites and greens a bit more but since it’s only been three weeks I’m not going hog wild. But all channels to max gives a very nice balanced spectrum with a hint of blue. The whites aren’t overpowering.
Seems like they're going backwards to me. Centering the LEDs is a bad mistake as that is why they are always so directional with no spread.
The what now? Basically the entire fixture is one big bank of leds haha

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Fingers crossed as the value proposition is great. I believe they are working on it right now.
I could crank up the whites and greens a bit more but since it’s only been three weeks I’m not going hog wild. But all channels to max gives a very nice balanced spectrum with a hint of blue. The whites aren’t overpowering.

The what now? Basically the entire fixture is one big bank of leds haha

Ok, maybe I need to look better. It looked like a strip of LEDs in the middle. Maybe those are LEDs under a diffuser too. Doesn't make a lot of sense, but ok.

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, maybe I need to look better. It looked like a strip of LEDs in the middle. Maybe those are LEDs under a diffuser too. Doesn't make a lot of sense, but ok.
Not entirely sure what you men but it looks like this with focused lenses in the middle and banks of diffused leds on the sides
1678742169651.png

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

It covers everything and satisfies people who complain about the flat T5 look which is the puck lovers that like glitter lines, yet still gives full coverage and blending that T5 lovers crave.

It's an acropora dominant keeper's dream all in one package.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'll look at it closer tonight. I was just going from an initial look and should not have commented under I was educated about it.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have. I mention the results in my YouTube video but about where I have my highest minted corals I’m getting about 500-550 par measured with an apogee par meter. I believe I mention the other values throughout the tank as well.

My alk consumption has gone up since mounting the v12 which is real surprising as I’ve always been a tad skeptical agains LEDs and color has gotten a tad better as well. However, I had an iodine spike some months back that really did a number on my corals so the improvement in color might just be due to time as well.

I talk a bit more about it here in my latest update video at around the 9 minute mark:

Be sure to follow @Viking_Reefing on YouTube as he’s been posting updates

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$2100 for a 48” fixture??? Nah I’m good! I can get 3x24” photon v2’s and mount them front to back on my 120 and get a lot more par! I’m sure their lights are great and all but man, is it solid gold with platinum inserts?

The Opinionated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$2100 for a 48” fixture??? Nah I’m good! I can get 3x24” photon v2’s and mount them front to back on my 120 and get a lot more par! I’m sure their lights are great and all but man, is it solid gold with platinum inserts?
Yeah but it costs a lot less then buying the equivalent amount of light in Radions

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You would need 4 -24" photon v2s to match the same coverage or two photon V2 48"

Not to mention the Rbreeders are old tech with hot spots and other shortcomings. It's why Rbreeders is launching a new fixture which still won't match the same coverage.

From a WAF factor it's also sleek and beautiful. Most other brands are very busy and ugly and look like industrial lights on rafters.

Compared to other high end fixtures the pricing is right in line.

Last edited:

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but it costs a lot less then buying the equivalent amount of light in Radions
But they are making the Mitras (at one point the most expensive on a $/watt basis, yea not exactly an ideal comparison) look like a bargain.

Last I looked even the new yet to be released reefbreeders is over $5/watt. Mitras is $4/watt.
Geisseman is the same at >$5/watt as is the Radion G6.
All just for the head unit and whatever that includes.
Equiv wattage in Radions is $2400-ish. Well 4.6 units.. :)
$2600-ish for 5.
6 for proper balance.

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea if the 900mm version would be to wide for a Nyos opus G2 300?
I believe the light is 58cm wide and the Opus is 55. Ideally you want the light to be larger than the object you are illuminating for the best coverage.
Personally I wouldn’t be to concerned as the light is curved and if it’s sitting 30cm up the fact that it’s slightly larger then the tank shouldn’t be noticeable…however, that’s my personal opinion. You might hate it haha

The Opinionated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the light is 58cm wide and the Opus is 55. Ideally you want the light to be larger than the object you are illuminating for the best coverage.
Personally I wouldn’t be to concerned as the light is curved and if it’s sitting 30cm up the fact that it’s slightly larger then the tank shouldn’t be noticeable…however, that’s my personal opinion. You might hate it haha
Yeah, thanks.

There is no UK supplier of this light yet and I can't see there ever being one now that we have left the EU. It kind of puts a kibosh on ever getting this light as I don't fancy paying 20% import duty on top of the price and then having to send it back to Germany if it's faulty. Bummer.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 27 16.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 68 41.7%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 13.5%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 36 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.1%
Back