Gig ‘ems Grand Gigantea Gathering

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No not a mushroom lol definitely has a foot and no I don’t have a picture of it in good health , I received it in bad shape they are extremely hard to keep alive it had shrunk down to the size of a penny

04E7581A-B243-4F61-8457-811D3360B63C.jpeg F314C3E1-38FA-4908-87D5-DD6D08A483F8.jpeg 357B1018-A4BD-4865-929D-D86457488039.jpeg 5DEE3F88-1431-4E29-9D40-46D5AC66C64D.jpeg
Mushrooms have feet! They are technically a group of anemones, they have all of the normal nem features besides stinging tentacles. Yours looks like a shroom to me, I hope it isn't since that would suck but it may be.

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m leaning more towards mushroom, certainly doesn’t look like a gigantea to me. Mushrooms had feet and have the ability to “walk” around like anemones. At this point I’m confident it’s not a gigantea, likely a mushroom or smaller species.

Purpletang92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mushrooms have feet! They are technically a group of anemones, they have all of the normal nem features besides stinging tentacles. Yours looks like a shroom to me, I hope it isn't since that would suck but it may be.
Mushroom have feet but I peel this guy off to clean the acrylic box all the time plus my clowns always dart to it when I put it in the tank while cleaning they are just too rough with it , I want it to get in better health before I release it in the system

Purpletang92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only time will tell but I'm leaning more towards anemone it has all the characteristics

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only time will tell but I'm leaning more towards anemone it has all the characteristics
Come back in a month or two and give us an update! I have seen large mushrooms host clownfish, so keep that in mind when trying to identify if it’s a hosting anemone or a species of mushroom. Hopefully it’s an anemone, but the tentacle shapes, white foot, and lack of verrucae rules out gigantea unfortunately.

Purpletang92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely will keep you guys posted! , seeing yours made me break silence

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats! This is great! I always suspected they could survive a cut in a good environment with experienced reefer, and I have a knife I sharpened and waiting next to my tank for the past 2 years but too lazy to pull them out to do it. I have too many hobbies. Half of mine, I received cut in half, one of them looked like it was a fresh cut with the mouth on the side of the disk with only one “tooth”. I’ve posted a pic of this on RC maybe close to 10 years ago. It developed into a full blown gig and centered the mouth. Took maybe a year. I always suspected they could be cut, then received several that were obviously cut, that I still have today. I was hoping sexually multiplication would happen in my tank, but my negligence doesn’t really help.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come back in a month or two and give us an update! I have seen large mushrooms host clownfish, so keep that in mind when trying to identify if it’s a hosting anemone or a species of mushroom. Hopefully it’s an anemone, but the tentacle shapes, white foot, and lack of verrucae rules out gigantea unfortunately.
Any updates or progress? Here in Japan we have easy access to gigs from Okinawa, I have two small purple, two blue, electric green, and a big new purple one on the way! I'm preparing to begin propagating starting late this year, and I believe it is ok to ship anemones to the states since they don't have skeletons...

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates or progress? Here in Japan we have easy access to gigs from Okinawa, I have two small purple, two blue, electric green, and a big new purple one on the way! I'm preparing to begin propagating starting late this year, and I believe it is ok to ship anemones to the states since they don't have skeletons...
Nice! I’m certainly jealous of your easy access.

No real updates. Gigs are all doing well. Nothing new to report really.

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It almost a year, did you get your genome sequencing back? I would love to see the result.
Any success on spawn the Gigantea?
No, I’m not sure if I ever will. The individual at the lab who I gave the samples to has left and I’m not sure if they’ll ever get around to sequencing them.

I haven’t seen any spawning this year yet. I noticed some odd ORP readings a month ago, but it occurred around 2 am so I wasn’t awake to witness what made the ORP change that way. I also still don’t know the reproductive schedule of gigantea. Acropora are well known to mass spawn following the full moon, and usually in the spring (but not all Acropora species do this), I’m not sure if gigantea do the same or if they spawn according to some other environmental ques. Also it’s hard to tell if they are gravid and ready to spawn. With hard corals it’s easy, sacrifice a piece and look for eggs in the skeleton. If anyone knows of gigantea spawning in the wild, please let me know!

I did have Acropora spawn again right on schedule. So I know the system is capable of inducing ex situ spawning.

CE8A05A4-EC42-4ADC-A7D5-5E544E196DD0.jpeg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please get a picture of the Red Gig for us. I was looking for this Unicorn for many many years. Still looking for this. Seeing one in captivity is well worth it.

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please get a picture of the Red Gig for us. I was looking for this Unicorn for many many years. Still looking for this. Seeing one in captivity is well worth it.
I need to be better about taking more photos. Here’s a good one I grabbed a couple weeks ago after cleaning the pumps
699372B3-704F-4359-BDE0-935CAAD7BF7D.jpeg

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow and red are both colors I don’t have!

I’m friends with the co-director of a coral research facility here, they spawn and grow out a variety of SPS and LPS but they don’t know anything about anemone spawning. Unfortunately the funding just doesn’t really exist to study carpet anemones.

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow and red are both colors I don’t have!

I’m friends with the co-director of a coral research facility here, they spawn and grow out a variety of SPS and LPS but they don’t know anything about anemone spawning. Unfortunately the funding just doesn’t really exist to study carpet anemones.
Yup, same here in Austin

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back