Gigantea Spawning ?

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone on here witnessed such an event ? Last night during the time my lights started ramping down one of my largest gigs started spewing a steady, visible "silty" stream from it's mouth ..this lasted for about 45 mins and was consistent throughout .. At the end the gig looked spent , shriveled to about 1/3 it's normal size and then began to " ball up " - similar to what mags do at night ... I peaked in on it early this morning , it looked fine , in its normal night time condition and size.. Any ideas to what just happened ????

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gigantea are internal brooder. Only male spawn. The female will take in the sperms, then internal fertilization and the female, if there are in your tank will release small anemones with full complement of zooxanthellae include. Please keep us update. Maybe we will have baby gigantea anemones in the near future.

OP
OP
H

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 3 gigs total in the same tank ..maybe the other 2 are female ? only time will tell ...but still curious - if it was a SPAWNING event ...?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures or video would have been nice. I can’t think of anything else. I had Haddoni spawn in the past and it is similar to what you described.
Smoke come out of the mouth, cloudy water and cleared up with skimming, anemone all contracted at the end of the event and fine by the next day.
It cannot be anything else.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a gig do this as well. Looks like white smoke coming out of the mouth, at a slow billowing pace. Mine was probably a stress spawn, since I only had one gig in my tank at the time.

In your case, since you have multiple gigs, my hope is that it WAS a spawning event. Hopefully you'll find some babies (apparently they look just like adult gigs, but a lot smaller).

386reeftrader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smallest gig I’ve ever been able to find a photo of. Would be awesome to find a few dozen around the tank!
E1F1AD3D-B1A2-42D9-A7EB-58A3E4C101F5.jpeg

OP
OP
H

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like white smoke coming out of the mouth, at a slow billowing pace
That pretty much nails it ..what I saw.. today it looks awesome and more spread out than ever.

"Hopefully you'll find some babies (apparently they look just like adult gigs, but a lot smaller)." ... That would be great - the parent that spawned is a bright neon green or yellow ..amazing specimen.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've had a gig do this as well. Looks like white smoke coming out of the mouth, at a slow billowing pace. Mine was probably a stress spawn, since I only had one gig in my tank at the time.

In your case, since you have multiple gigs, my hope is that it WAS a spawning event. Hopefully you'll find some babies (apparently they look just like adult gigs, but a lot smaller).
Next time - video. Its generally a stream of sperm and water will get cloudy a few hours

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back