Gilroy 425g Build Thread (All Apex, all the time)

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yours is a pretty big system. I wonder how quickly you'd go through those core 7 bottles if you shut down your carx.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yours is a pretty big system. I wonder how quickly you'd go through those core 7 bottles if you shut down your carx.
One of the reasons why I am going to see if there is a modified program that they have or that they might want to have me help them pioneer. Stay tuned.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is a tip for you all. Sometimes you shouldn't follow the example of this reefkeeper. I just recalibrated both my tank pH probe as well as my CaRx probe today. It has been about 9 months. Here is the net result. oops.
upload_2017-8-30_9-45-3.png

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched recently to Triton core 7 (other methods)as I carbon dose. I have around 50 acro colonies in a 57 gal, and was under the impression the core 7 was indeed very concentrated and that I would dose less compared to the Bionic I'm used to.

I started with the recommended 2ml per 25 gal and in two days my alk dropped from 8.2 to 7.3.
I upped more than double that amount and alk stays at 7.1-7.3.

I'm upgrading to a 150 gal sps only soon and if dosing keeps going up I might have to switch back to Bionic.

For a 150 gal at this rate a set of triton core 7 will last me 20 days. Unless they make larger more affordable supplement containers, their $52 per set cost will not be feasible to most larger size tanks.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you. That can get spendy real quick.

I am going to see if I can do a hybrid Triton set up using the CaRx. I will ask Ehsan if I can be a guinea pig of sorts if they do not already have a protocol to guide customers. I could then use say four dosers to do the other two bottles plus acropower and one other thing - whatever it works out to be.

flagg37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you. That can get spendy real quick.

I am going to see if I can do a hybrid Triton set up using the CaRx. I will ask Ehsan if I can be a guinea pig of sorts if they do not already have a protocol to guide customers. I could then use say four dosers to do the other two bottles plus acropower and one other thing - whatever it works out to be.
Keep me posted. That has been the biggest reason I haven't started it already.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep me posted. That has been the biggest reason I haven't started it already.
Stay tuned here - I always post my trials and errors on this thread. . . just like my probe calibration laziness above.

Oh, one thing to note on that, if you recalibrate your CaRx pH probe, and it has been a while and you have been tweaking the pH set point along the way, once you recalibrate as I did, you will have to adjust those set points for the new (correct) values. For me it went from 7.00-7.05 to 6.50-6.55.

Jonty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a CaRx and was also interested in Triton, after MACNA I am not convinced after talking to Triton and the other retailers for Triton in the USA it will cost me approx $12/day for my system to run Triton, the retailers estimate that the avg Triton customer has a run rate of $6 a day which seems like the most expensive method of running a tank out there?

flagg37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes, $180/mo. And that is just the triton system right? Not food or power factored in?

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what it looks like when you run out of CO2. Then scramble to find a replacement bottle at noon on the Friday before Labor Day weekend! Then what it looks like once you put it back on the system!

upload_2017-9-2_11-56-18.png

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a CaRx and was also interested in Triton, after MACNA I am not convinced after talking to Triton and the other retailers for Triton in the USA it will cost me approx $12/day for my system to run Triton, the retailers estimate that the avg Triton customer has a run rate of $6 a day which seems like the most expensive method of running a tank out there?
Triton recommends 10ml per 100L of system. What are you dosing to maintain on your tank?

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched recently to Triton core 7 (other methods)as I carbon dose. I have around 50 acro colonies in a 57 gal, and was under the impression the core 7 was indeed very concentrated and that I would dose less compared to the Bionic I'm used to.

I started with the recommended 2ml per 25 gal and in two days my alk dropped from 8.2 to 7.3.
I upped more than double that amount and alk stays at 7.1-7.3.

I'm upgrading to a 150 gal sps only soon and if dosing keeps going up I might have to switch back to Bionic.

For a 150 gal at this rate a set of triton core 7 will last me 20 days. Unless they make larger more affordable supplement containers, their $52 per set cost will not be feasible to most larger size tanks.
BRS site says 10ml per 100L is recommended, not 2ml per 25G. That would be about 1/4 the recommended dosage.

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, there is 1000ml in a bottle. At that 4ml x 6 (150g) a day thats 40 days.
Thanks Terence,

Im looking for the core 7 bottle, but Im pretty sure it says start with 2ml per 100l and increase, which is probably why my alk dropped, but even so it is way low. Im up to 10ml per 25 gals now and alk doesnt get above 7.3, I guess because my system is stacked with sps.

You are correct if dosing stood at the 2ml per 25 gal, it would be a wonderful supplement which would last 40 days for a 150. Now at 10 ml per 25, 10ml X 6(150) a day = 60, about 16 days on a 1,000ml bottle.
Not enough :( thats roughly $104 for a month's supply of core 7

I wonder tanks like yours, it could add to costly amounts once thise acros start to climb up.

If this is indeed correct math, I might go to Tropic Marin's Balling, which essentially is Triton's system less the ICP testing and Filtration concept

Last edited:
OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure - right now my alk/ca cost for six months is one bag of TLF Reborn and a bottle refill of CO2. That amounts to about $50. Hard to beat that. So I am going to see how I can maybe work to help them tweak the system for those that want to run a reactor.

Also, I plan on sending in the effluent from my CaRx and Denitrator both in order to make sure that neither is the source of my elevated levels in my tank ICP. I also will have done four 100g water changes in two weeks by this weekend. I will do another ICP retest after two more and see where things stand.

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terence

Triton recommends tanks running at a lower alk(7.0-8.0), which can be a bit tricky with calcium reactor users who already might run lower PH tanks. What is your take on this?

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terence

Triton recommends tanks running at a lower alk(7.0-8.0), which can be a bit tricky with calcium reactor users who already might run lower PH tanks. What is your take on this?

I don't see that as an issue for me as I will have a lot of DKH knowledge ongoing via my Trident. In the beginning I will simply adjust my pH set point and/or flow rate into reactor up or down manually to fine tune it into the sweet spot. Eventually I will have my Apex do it for me automatically. And, if pH ever becomes a problem, well then I can have it dose kalk for me as necessary as well.

I think this is what is missing from many when it comes to why testing more frequently can be beneficial. But I have no desire to turn this thread into a Trident thread. Answering this question here though just happens to be related to how I will use that info on my tank.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a power outage on Saturday. It lasted about 2 hours and 20 minutes. Interestingly I just installed (friday) a DO probe so that I could play around with it a bit and see how its data correlates to certain real-world events. Here is some of the first info. The probe is in my 200g sump. From the graph you can see when power went off, and when it came back on. The DO in the water went from 100% to 92% saturation in that little amount of time. And remember, there are no fish in the sump.

upload_2017-9-5_8-20-19.png

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a power outage on Saturday. It lasted about 2 hours and 20 minutes. Interestingly I just installed (friday) a DO probe so that I could play around with it a bit and see how its data correlates to certain real-world events. Here is some of the first info. The probe is in my 200g sump. From the graph you can see when power went off, and when it came back on. The DO in the water went from 100% to 92% saturation in that little amount of time. And remember, there are no fish in the sump.

upload_2017-9-5_8-20-19.png

I really need to pick up a few more battery powered air pumps for power outages. I had a few hour power outage last week and didn't think anything of it...

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am actually thinking of doing a DIY battery powered automatic bubbler device. I will take a few battery powered bubblers, connect them to a NC relay connected to a large L-ion battery and then plug it into the wall. Then, whenever power goes out, the bubblers come on.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%

Back